“Reasonably priced and great location”

Ueno Touganeya Hotel
Ranked #11 of 155 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was in Tokyo for a few days with my kids (18 &21) and they wanted to explore the Ueno area so based on TripAdvisor reviews we chose the Ueno Touganeya Hotel. Great choice! It was just minutes from the Ueno station- take the elevator to the 1st floor, then the walkway on your left (head to the sculpture with the big gold ball) as you leave the station because it has escalators (if you don't want to lug your luggage up/down stairs). Go one street and turn right- the hotel is on your left. It's really nice looking- modern yet somehow traditional at the same time.

I did have to take a cab to the hotel several times and even with GPS the taxi drivers had a little difficulty finding the place- one driver actually pulled over and used his phone mapping system to find it.

We booked 2 rooms easily on online- the only hitch was that the double room didn't have twin beds as requested- just a double bed. The receptionist was quite apologetic and explained that the hotel was full the first night but that we could change rooms the 2nd night. The rooms were both the typical size for a Japanese hotel- similar to something you'd find on a cruise. Enough room for the bed and a teeny desk. Both rooms had hot water kettles and a mini-fridge. They were spotlessly clean and looked newly painted.

The front desk staff all spoke fairly good English and were able to give me directions on where to find an International ATM (7-11 by the way- most ATM's are for Japanese cards only) and how to find several other locations. They had a map of the area (in Japanese) that was quite useful.

There is wifi in the rooms but no English channels on the TV. My kids watched movies on the laptop using the ethernet cable and it worked smoothly. I used the wi-fi to stream on my tablet and it stopped and started occasionally- but worked well enough.

There's a convenience store on the corner. I had a delicious curry steamed dumpling as a snack one day. My kids loved the baked goods. My son also stocked up on the large bowls of ramen to make in his room for a late night snack.

If you head past the hotel and turn right (towards the station) there's a military surplus store that kept my son entertained for ages.

There are many small restaurants in the area and one in the hotel that smelled delicious. But if you're looking for Western food there's a Hard Rock Cafe located inside the Ueno Station. My kids ate dinner there one night and were thrilled to find a limited edition panda with cherry blossoms pin that was released that day.

Ameyoko is about a 5 min walk away, so is the fabulous Ueno Park.

The Keisei electric railroad is about a block further than the Ueno station. For 2400 yen you can take their Narita Syliner (leaves every 30 min or so) that will get you to the airport (with one stop) in about 40 minutes and all the seats are reserved- no standing on a crowded train. You can buy the tickets ahead of time at the station. For about 2000 yen you can take a slower train.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jen78703
Touganeya, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and writing such a wonderfully detailed review.
Once again we apologize for the lack of a twin room at the first day.
Our large rooms are very popular for our guests and they are usually booked on early.
We are glad that you enjoyed a steamed dumpling in 24 hours convenient store. Japanese say ,a steamed dumpling is “Nikuman”
Did you see cherry blossoms during your stay in Ueno park, which is near our hotel?
It is a popular place to see 40 kinds and thousands of cherry blossoms.
There are also real pandas in Ueno Zoo.
Thank you again for feedback.
We wish you all the best!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is my second stay in the hotel and stayed in a double room
Great location and easy access from Keisei line.
Took about an hour from narita terminal 1 to the hotel.

Hotel room size is small but for the price paid is a norm in Tokyo area.
Was woken up by the noisy renovation work in the morning during my stay.

Noticed a problem is that the windows is located above the bed and in the morning, sunlight will shine through and shine on the bed board area although the curtains are drawn.

This disturbed my sleep when I tried to get back to sleep in the early morning.

Food is not a problem with tons of eateries to restaurant around the area.

Probably will try another hotel during my next stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Touganeya, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

We must apologize for your unpleasant time during your stay.
The under construction was supposed to start after check out time but probably there was some mixed up the schedule.
We regret this problem happened during your stay.
Our rooms are located on the north side and the south side of the building therefore sunshine comes in particularly around 11:00 a.m. to noon.
We have taken note of your comments.
We appreciate you taking a time to write a review.
We hope to see you in the future and we will try to offer the best service and the most comfortable facilities as possible.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights staying at the hotel in the early of March. We got fantastic room on third floor, large and clean. The bathroom work very nice,too. The location was in great area for shopping and chilling out easily. Staffs helped us to find great restaurant and shopping center. Breakfast was lovely with various choice. Great hotel and we would stay here again .

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and writing such a nice review.
We hope you enjoyed the convenient areas.
Our hotel is very conveniently located close to major tourist attractions.
There are various restaurants here in Ueno.
We welcome you back and hope to see you in the near future.
We will do our best to assist you at that time.

P.S. very popular Sky tree tower ,which is the world`s tallest broadcast tower is just around 13 minutes by train from Ueno station.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Arrived early and bags were gladly stored for us till ckeck in later that afternoon. Room was small but adequate. Bed and pillow also comfortable. Had an opening window so fresh air wasnt a problem.TV has all Japanese programming except for Discovery channel which is Bi-lingual for only 2 hours a day. Fast internet connection in room.
Lots of eating options within 100 metres of hotel. Try the Izakaya "Japanese Bar" in the basement just around the corner before Lawsons. Most likely you will be the only tourists there. The food is excellent, tasty and affordble.
The easiest way to find this hotel is by printing the map from the hotel website before leaving home. We were leaving Ueno late on the third day and luggage was stored for us.
Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bozz56
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on our hotel.
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay here.
Our hotel does keep luggage before and after check-in which is very favored by lots of tourists who stay at our hotel.
We will continue to do our best.

Best Wishes,
Ueno Touganeya Hotel

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is in a great location near the Ueno Station. I stayed in a 4 share room with my sister and brother and was surprised at how big the room was. I have also stayed in a double bed room which was small but clean and cozy. The staff are very friendly and offer assistance were they can. Great value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah B
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on our hotel.
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed staying at our hotel and how you found our 4 persons room large.
We are also very glad to hear you found our service friendly. We promise you that we will never forget to improve our service and facility.

Hope you have a great year and hope to see you again at our hotel soon!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here in April 2011 for one night. We arrived in the evening and the man at reception was very friendly and helpful! It helped that he had experience living in New Zealand, we had a great little chat before heading up to the room.

The room itself is small (the norm) and the doorway is very short. My partner is 5'9" and it was shorter than him so beware of your head! We were provided with bathrobes and slippers so that was a plus. The shower was small again but clean. Could smell the drain though so the room needed to be ventilated a bit. It was also a little humid. Other than that it was pleasant for a one night stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your review.
It is a pleasure to hear that our staff has made difference in your stay.
I will share your comment with Takuya as I am sure he will be pleased to hear you enjoyed the talk.
We also have taken note of your comments on the drain.
We value your kind feedback and looking forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel is only a block or so from the Tokyo Ueno station. Access to the hotel is easy using the elevated walkway from the station to the street where the hotel is located. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but efficient. The bed and room were comfortable and I was able to get a good night's sleep. The only downside is the doors are not even 6 ft tall, and since I am taller than that, I had to duck to get into the room. The bed, on the other hand, was large enough for me to be comfortable. Access to the rest of Tokyo was easy as the Tokyo Ueno station was just a block or so away. I would stay there again the next time I visit Tokyo.

Room Tip: The rooms on the end seem to have balconies. I don't know if they cost more, I was just happy t...