“Great Value, Great Staff”

Ueno Touganeya Hotel
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Hartselle, Alabama
“Great Value, Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The hotel is only a block or so from the Tokyo Ueno station. Access to the hotel is easy using the elevated walkway from the station to the street where the hotel is located. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was small but efficient. The bed and room were comfortable and I was able to get a good night's sleep. The only downside is the doors are not even 6 ft tall, and since I am taller than that, I had to duck to get into the room. The bed, on the other hand, was large enough for me to be comfortable. Access to the rest of Tokyo was easy as the Tokyo Ueno station was just a block or so away. I would stay there again the next time I visit Tokyo.

Room Tip: The rooms on the end seem to have balconies. I don't know if they cost more, I was just happy t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DougM47
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comments. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
I agree with you and as mentioned in many other reviews, we are located conveniently, just walking distance from the Ueno station.
We are also pleased to hear that you liked our bed since we are putting a lot of effort on our bed and beddings.
We sincerely appreciate all of your kind words and looking forward to serving you in the near future again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

The hotel is very nice and clean with small bathroom. The location is the best since it is very close to subway and JR station.
You can also leave your luggages at the hotel even though you alreayd checked out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JannyCoyote
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel out of tons of hotels in Tokyo.
We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with our location.
We will try to improve on our facility and service so that next time you come, you can be pleased with something other than the location.

Have a great year and hope to see you again in the near future!

Front Office Manager
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights at this hotel with my son at the beginning of December in a twin room.I paid about 10,000 yen per night, a very reasonable price.

I found this hotel from Tripadvisor.I wanted to stay in Ueno with plenty of things to do, transport and food options within walking distance of the hotel.I have previously stayed at Suidobashi (Hotel Niwa) and found there wasn't much to do in the nearby area, although Suidobashi station is much more manageable than Ueno!!

We arrived at Ueno station in the dark, coming from Hakone. Because Ueno is a huge station, and somewhat overwhelming , it was a bit tricky to find the overpass leading to the hotel at first.The hotel is on the quiet side of Ueno station with a convenience store, for breakfast supplies, around the corner.On the busy side are Ameyokocho market, many many restaurants and Matsuzakaya department store.This visit we didn't have time to explore Ueno Park and its museums.We caught the Keisei line ( the 1000yen express not the more expensive Skyliner) to Narita. The Keisei station is not a difficult walk with luggage from the hotel but we checked out the route in advance without our luggage.

I booked directly with the hotel. Masami Tomizuka has excellent English and helped me via phone and email when I experienced difficulties with online reservation form .

Our twin room 611 was very large by Japanese standards.It seemed to be twice as large as other rooms in the hotel .There were 2 regular single beds and a large full length sofa, possibly it was a sofa bed.The window could be opened for fresh air and the air conditioning worked well.

It was quiet and clean.

There were 2 free computers in the lobby and laundry (washing machine and dryer) just down the corridor from our room.There are ope-air drying facilities on the roof.

The staff were kind and one young man went out of his way to find an Arita porcelain store for me on the internet.

I recommend requesting a twin room for the extra space.

Room Tip: I recommend requesting a twin room for the extra space.Rooms ending with 11 eg 611 seem twice as big...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Australiafrancophile
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate you for such an in-depth and thoughtful review on your stay at our hotel and for your kind words regarding on our staff.
We did what we are supposed to do as the member of hotel staff but when we see comments like yours, it makes us so pleased to be working as a receptionist. Thank you very much for brightening up my day!
It is also very pleasing and I feel glad you enjoyed your stay in Japan.
We promise we will do our very best to continue to meet your needs. We wish you all the best and hope you have a wonderful year.
Hope to see you in the near future again!
Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stay here for 2nd time. Love the location. Can be reached by subway, rail and airport rail.
Clean room, nice bed. Convenience store just few steps from hotel. Can walk to the korean town, Ameyoko market and Ueno Park.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phanuphong
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel for the 2nd time!
We will continue to try our best to make your next stay even better than the 2nd time.
Hope you have a wonderful and unforgettable new year!
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We have just spent 6 nights at Touganeya and were so happy that the place is just as great as it was 2 years ago when we visited. We had a twin room so that we had more space and the extra room is well worth the little bit extra in cost. The rooms were very clean, service impeccable and the position of the hotel is perfect.

If coming from the airport get off the Skyliner and head towards the Hibiya subway line. One tip is to use the elevator that is on the right hand side just before the subway exit 2. This will save you lugging bags up flights of steps. When you exit the escalator turn to the opposite direction of the exit and walk to the first side street on the right. You will see escalators going up in the opposite direction. Walk down the street and you will come to a cross section and the hotel is off to the right street and visible on the left hand side of the road.

The escalator on the side street takes you to the walkway over the main road and leads straight o JR station. This makes it a 2 minute walk to the Shinkansen and JR lines.

We gave reception a little Aussie koala on our arrival to add to their collection of toys. We were so grateful to be given a gift on our departure. The staff are all so friendly.

Room Tip: Splurge a little and get the bigger room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tsutt35
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Ueno Touganeya Hotel again.
We also appreciate your kind regards.
We get gifts by gentle guests from abroad and we love to display them on the shelf at the front desk. So we are so happy to add yours in the collection!

It is convenient to take the elevator, which is located in the right hand side before the exit No.1 and No.2 in inderpass for those peole who come to our hotel from Keisei Ueno station.

Hope to see you again in the near future and hope you have a great new year!
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I had stayed with Touganeya Hotel in 2006, our last good impression is of its convenient location, even have an escalator that fetch you up the overhead bridge to Ueno station, very clean and cosy local hotel.

This Dec 2012 is my (2 adults and 9 years old boy) second visit to Tokyo and decided to put up with Touganeya again, it's indeed a great choice, never regretted!

This time, we booked the newly renovated triple room with 3 single bedding, room amenities and towels are always set at 3 and the housekeeping never make a mistake in any days. We got the 6th floor, which is the highest and with a balcony and the biggest room from the floor map. The bathroom is new and very clean with a long bathtub, heated Japanese toilet and sishedio bathing products. Heater in the room works well. We also got an early check in at 11am, that's really thankful and restful we did not get much sleep from the overnight flight.

We stayed 5 nights first, 1 night in Hakone and another 4 more nights with Touganeya. They have no problem to keep your big luggages for you and we are delighted for our second check-in, they even loaded all our luggages to our room already.

After the 2 days one night trip to Hakone, my son had stomach flu and I did not pack this medicine for his, we suspected could be the sulphuric and osen that we are not used to!

Thank you so much, Mr Takuya who is on duty that night to go the extra miles to contact the pharmacy and speak to them to sell the medicine to my husband. The next morning he and even the housekeeping japanese auntie checked with my boy if he is feeling better. Very heart warming to stay in a caring hotel! Takuya is also the one who promptly responded to all my email queries and confirmation. Thank you and you are a indeed a great asset to Touganeya Hotel!

I will have no doubt to recommend to all my Singaporen and Malaysian friends to stay with Touganeya Hotel in Tokyo.

Domo Arigatou Gozaimasu!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ling11
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying at our hotel this time and thank you again for taking your time to write such an in-depth review here!
We were concerned about your son as he got sick.
It is good to hear that his stomach already recovered.
I did what I was supposed to do but still thank you very much for your consideration.
If you have any chance to visit Tokyo ,please contact us again!
We will try our best to make your stay as comfortable as it can be.

Belated Happy 9th birthday to your son!
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is the second time we habe stayed in this hotel and it was five years ago. I must say that the service did not drop at all and the rooms are renovated. There is nothing wrong i can say about this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review on our hotel!
We sincerely appreicate you for your kind regard.
We are really glad to hear that you found our service the same.
We always strive to provide the same high service to customers so we are very happy to know that you felt the same service.
We are also very glad to hear that you enjoyed our renovated rooms since we continuously renovate the rooms.

We wish you all the best and we would be happy to welcoming you in the near future! We promise that we will continue to offer friendly service and will improve in many ways.