“Cannot fault it, except the size of the rooms”

Ueno Touganeya Hotel
Ranked #10 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
London
“Cannot fault it, except the size of the rooms”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Ueno Touganeya is a perfect option for a short stay in Tokyo, if you don't mind staying in a microscopically small room, which is (sadly) a norm in Japan.

The hotel is a 2-minute walk from Ueno station, which incidentally makes it very easily accessible from Narita airport as the fastest, most frequent and least expensive trains from Narita to central Tokyo ("Keisei line") terminate at Ueno. In fact this probably makes it one of the most easily accessible hotels (from Narita airport) in the whole of central Tokyo. As an aside, do not plan a late arrival at Narita as public transport from there stops practically at 11pm, and taxis are mind-blowingly expensive.

The hotel staff were good on email (responsive and precise) before our arrival. The room was quiet, clean, nicely decorated, and everything worked as it should. Toiletries were of high quality. The TV only had Japanese channels - or we were not able (without trying too hard) to find international ones.

We did not try the wireless connection. There were two internet-enabled computers in the lobby, one PC and one Mac. Usefully, there was also a small, easy to use and inexpensive launderette on one of the upper floors. Breakfast seemed overpriced, which was also why we did not try it (there are several breakfast options - Japanese and western - in the area). Free maps and guidebooks of Tokyo (in several languages) were displayed in the lobby.

Our biggest concern was the size of our (double) room - it was really towards the "uncomfortable" end of small. In particular there was no wardrobe (well... there was no space for it, anyway!) so most of our clothes had to stay in our suitcases, which were themselves a challenge to place on the floor. However, I have to say again that the room had some 'character' despite (or maybe because of!) its size - the decor and lighting were very good.

Last but not least, Ueno Touganeya was certainly very affordable, at least by Japanese standards.

Overall, I would definitely go back, and recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank frequent_trav_uk
UenoTouganeyaHotel, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a feedback regarding on your stay at our hotel, Ueno Touganeya.
We are glad you found the location very comfortable and liked our amenities.
Also, thank you so much for already thinking for coming back to our hotel and that you would recommend our hotel to others.
We have taken note of your comments and we will try to offer better service than we did.
Hope to see you sometime soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have just returned from another great stay at the Touganeya. I stayed four nights and enjoyed it very much. I have stayed at the Touganeya several times before, and this time when I made my reservation, I knew exactly what room I wanted and, of course, it was reserved for me. Yes, as noted in another post, the double room is small also, but I will take a small room at the Touganeya rather than a larger room at another hotel. I have never found a quieter hotel in all of Tokyo. You will not hear sirens, horns blowing or trains inside your room.

The desk personnel are fantastic - even at 3:00 in the morning! I speak no Japanese but had no problems, at all, communicating with different staff in English. In fact, we had quite good conversations in English.

I did not want or need my room cleaned or linens changed every day, so I just left my towels and bag of trash outside my door each day. They were replaced with a bag of fresh towels and bathroom amenities and tea hanging on my door when I returned.

I especially love the fact that room temperatures can be controlled easily. Too hot or too cold, just adjust the thermostat for immediate results.

Location to the Tokyo subway, JR Ueno Station, and especially the Skyliner service to Narita Airport, doesn't get any better anywhere.

I have stayed at several expensive hotels throughout Tokyo many times, until I found the Touganeya, and now I don't even consider another hotel. The Touganeya will continue to get my business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank TerryJaxBchFL
, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
There is no way to fully express our gratitude for the amazing feedback you gave us.

Words are not enough to describe our thanks and appreciation for your kind review.

It is just so amazing to hear that you do not consider any other hotels after you have found us.

We know that there are so many points that we should correct. We will try even harder to achieve our goal and mission as a better hotel.

It is the greatest reward ever!
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Great location, friendly staffs and nice budget hotel. Worth it. Will stay in the same place when there's next trip to Tokyo!

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great review.
We are so glad that you found the place great, staffs friendsly, and nice budget hotel.
We will always continue to offer a professional and friendly service every time.
Thanks again and we are looking forward to your next visit!
Best wishes
Manila
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Location was a great factor coz I was traveling with the whole family. Easy access from Narita Airport to Ueno. Just take either the Keisei Limited Express (cheapest at Y1000 but slower) or the Skyliner (Y2400 but faster). Hotel's website for directions to go to the hotel was very helpful. I really suggest packing light because the rooms are small compared to western standards. Nonetheless, all the amenities in the room were provided for and it was cleaned very well. Had to get two rooms coz we were 5. (2 adults and 3 kids). The hotel was located near museums, ueno park, ueno zoo, Ameyoko (streetmarket). Very near two train lines, the JR line and the Metro Tokyo line. We purchased "special 2 day tickets" for unlimited use of the trains and it can only be bought at the airport.We use the hotel mainly for sleeping when we get home at night and for bathing...coz we went to Tokyo to explore and enjoy the city and not to be cocooned in the hotel. Stayed for 5days and realized it was too short to see and explore Tokyo. Hotel is very safe, even the surrounding areas. There is a Lawson's convenience store nearby where you can get snacks...my kids went there everday to try the japanese snacks, drinks, ice cream, ramen etc.But of course, it is a must that you get the authentic ramen..there are many ramen shops all over! If you are not too picky this hotel will serve your purpose. Perfect for a budget traveler. Japan is expensive!! Am very happy with this hotel because of its reasonable rates. My money went further and my family saw many tourist attractions. I hope they keep their rates low so many travelers can afford to see and enjoy Japan! Lastly, sales staff of this hotel were excellent. They answered all my queries prior to our departure for Tokyo. Thank you Masami Tomizuka. Thank you for helping me make good memories with my family. Will definitely recommend this hotel! Arigato gozaimasu!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the commnet!
Looking forward to seeing you in the near future!!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Just came back from Tokyo a day ago and we stayed at this hotel for 8 nights. The hotel looks way better when you actually get there than in photos. My brother and I stayed in the double room, which was great - very clean and new. The only drawback was that it was a little bit too tiny with hardly any space to move around.

Location was great, 3 minute walk to the JR Ueno Station, 5 minute walk to the Ameyoko Market and Ueno Park. It was situated in a quiet and quaint area of Ueno with not much traffic or noise.

Staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful when we asked for directions or about the weather. Although they did not speak much English but they tried their very best to help us anyway.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel! Very satisfied. Plus good value for money!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback!
Sorry that our double room is so small.
Please try our twin room next time! It is a lot bigger than the double room.
Hope to see you again at our hotel and have a great summer!
Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for our first 5 nights in Japan. From the outset, we had decided to stay in a quieter district and started researching areas such as Ueno and Asakusa. We also chose this hotel after reading other Trip Advisor reviews and were not disappointed. This hotel ticks all the boxes: excellent value, great location (2 min walk to JR Ueno station) and spotless rooms which were a decent size. The staff were extremely helpful and we can not thank them enough. They never tired of our requests to refill our ice packs (my husband had injured his knee) and even found us a local acupuncturist. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank jastb
Touganeya, Front Office Manager at Ueno Touganeya Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you so much (arigatougozaimasu) for your kind and warm regard.
We are so glad to we had the chance to host you.
We did what we are supposed to do as the hotel staff.
Hope your husband got better and hope to see you in the near future!
Toronto
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 days in May and I highly recommend this hotel. Location is a key when you are a tourist, and this hotel is very accessible. It is near Ueno Station stop, which can be reached by many subway line/train. I took Keisei Skyliner from Narita to Ueno, took subways for my sightseeing there, and JR lines to another station to go to Haneda Airport. All from Ueno station. Their website has a direction on how to reach the hotel. The key thing to remember is: Exit no. 2. At Ueno station (and many of the subway stations) there are many exits that you can take. If you take a wrong exit, you may end up at the far end of the street and have to walk far. If you take the right exit, the hotel is just a skip and a hop away.
The room itself of course is small (it is in Tokyo, after all). But clean and have the required amenities that I was looking for, namely a bed and a bathroom. The hotel has computers in their lobby and wired internet connection in each room. If you need a wireless connection, you will need to get a travel router so you can create a wireless connection for yourself in the room (for your tablet, cellphone, etc).
The room also has a temperature setting that you can change to your liking. There is also a window that opens. The good thing is you can get fresh air, but the bad thing is I think it made the room less sound proof. But I didn’t notice any significant noise that bothered me.
The elevator is quite small. I'm 5'3 and if I stretch out my arms I can touch the "long" end of the elevator. But it works fine.
The bathroom has the usual stuff, shower, toilet, and sink. Only they're very condensed, not a big space. In my room there is a step up to the bathroom (about 5-6 inches high) and then the bathtub also is quite deep. So if you can't lift your legs easily, you might have a problem. The bathroom comes with shampoo, conditioner and soap. And there is a hair dryer in the room.
The front desk spoke english, and was very helpful in getting me maps of the area (even though there was a shelf stuffed with maps and brochures just next to the computers which I didn't see :)
I didn't include breakfast with my reservation because there are so many other restaurants and shops nearby. There is a convenient store "Lawson" just steps from the hotel. You can buy food there. Ueno station also has many food vendors (especially if you are at the JR station). The room also has a small pot to make hot water and a cup.
I left my luggage at the front desk after I checked out (had a late flight that day) and they were very good about it.
All in all, very satisfied with my stay there. I will definitely stay there again whenever I'm in Tokyo.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ncip
Thank you so much for the very descriptive and detailed feedback.
We enjoyed reading and learned from your comment.
If there is a chance to visit Japan again, please contact us.
We will try our best to make your stay more comfortable next time.