“Loved the Andon!”
Review of Andon Ryokan

Andon Ryokan
Ranked #9 of 123 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed May 24, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Andon Ryokan for a week as a part of our Honeymoon. Whilst it's classified as a 'ryokan' it's not like your traditional inn - instead it's very noveau - lots of stainless steel,
polished concrete and glass with Japanese antiques interspersed thoughout.

Booking direct with their website proved no problem whatsoever and the map provided meant that we were easily able to find it by walking
from Minowa station. The staff were greeted us very warmly and we felt at home from the minute we arrived.

Admittedly the rooms are small however our intention was never to spend a lot of time in the rooms - mostly we were out and about sightseeing or shopping. The rooms come with a television and DVD player (you can borrow DVDs from reception), your own heater/air conditionr and a futon which you roll out over the tatami mats each evening. The futon was both comfortable and warm, so much so that getting out of bed in the morning proved difficult.

Bathrooms / showers are shared however there are more than enough to go around and they were always spotless. There is also a washing machine available for use and free internet access downstairs. Additionally there is a private spa style bath on the top level which can be booked in the evenings and provided an excellent way of both warming up from the cold weather outside and relaxing.

The best thing about the Andon was the staff. They were friendly and always had times to converse in a combination of Japanese and English.

The location is convenient to Ueno however word of warning - if you get caught out and about after the trains stop running you can be up for a hefty cab fare. We had to get a cab from Shibuya one night and it wasn't cheap!

Overall the Andon is an affordable and pleasant place to stay. When we make it back to Tokyo we'll certainly be staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank josh909

Reviewed March 10, 2007

Beautifully designed, we visited Andon in spring 2003 and I would highly reccommend it. Yes it is out in the suburbs but this is reflected in the price of the rooms which are very reasonable. It is rare for such a small or budget hotel to have such fantastic design details and this was one of the main attractions for us. If you enjoy good architecture and design, you will love it.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FioLondon
Reviewed February 2, 2007

We stayed at Andon Ryokan after various searches through the internet. As mentioned previously, the location is not all that great. Situated in the Ueno area, it is simply put, the quaint quiet residential area.

This is fine if you don't mind the approximately 500m walk to/from the nearest train station. Nearest train station also does not have lifts to street level which meant that we had to lug our luggages up and down the stairs. Quite a pain, literally.

The rooms were TINY. I am usually not claustrophobic but actually felt so in the rooms. There was simply no space to place your luggage and you have to tread around gingerly around the room due to the really SMALL space. Literally a place for sleeping, period. There was a tiny tv in the room that screened local channels so we had fun trying to watch some sellavision-type show promoting an amazing cappucino maker. In Japanese, no less.

The hotel rents out dvds for you to watch in your room (you leave a deposit and get it back after you return it) but honestly, the rooms were too small to feel comfortable in. We wanted to spend as little time as possible in it!

There was ONE computer terminal at the lobby with free internet which was cool along with a washing area at the top floor of the building where you can wash/dry your clothes.

As mentioned previously, no attached bathroom so you'd have to take all your toiletries, etc with you. The basins and toilets are in a separate area to the bathroom and they were TINY as well. I am a 1.6m tall (short?) girl and I had to turn on the spot to use the toilets. Go figure. I was constantly left wondering how anyone bigger/taller than me could manage in the tiny confined space.

Would I recommend this place? Only if you don't mind the TINY rooms and the less-than-ideal location. Then again, it's Tokyo and accommodation is usually exorbitantly-priced ;)

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank miss_ene
Reviewed September 20, 2006

On our most recent trip to Tokyo, my girlfriend and I spent our last night at the Andon Ryokan. The space itself is pretty cool and the staff was both friendly and helpful. Good, free coffee was a big plus for my girlfriend!

Minowa, the area where the Andon is located, is sort in the middle of nowhere. Yes, you can get around fine working the subway and trains, however having spent most of my time in the west and south of the city in the past (meguro, shibuya, aoyama, etc.) I found the areas around Ueno to be generally less interesting.

My final comment is that the Andon is as much or more a hostel than a ryokan. The double room my girlfriend and I stayed in was the smallest place I've stayed in Japan and had no bathroom. Granted, sleeping on a futon and tatami mat is much more comfortable than most low-end hotel beds, but for the same price or less, you can certainly find a better location.

All and all, I think the Andon is great for people on a budget who may be young or backpacking and looking to stay in a place that is very stylish, if not particularly convenient. On the other hand, if having a more urban experience with lots of restaurants, bars and shops nearby is more important, then I'd consider checking out a few more places closer to where things are happening.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank smurfk1
A TripAdvisor Member
Malaysia
Reviewed May 23, 2006

We stayed in Andon Ryokan for just one night. Tried to book for two nights but it's already fully booked. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The place is very warm and cosy. Highly recommended for those who are looking for a reasonably priced ryokan with a nice environment. Would definitely go back there! To all Andon staff, keep up the good work!

Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2006

We stayed at the Andon on our last 2 nights in Japan and were really delighted with our choice. The people are so friendly. It's very reasonable indeed and really near to Tokyo Metro stations for getting around.

The jacuzzi on the top floor is a must for relaxing.

The rooms are VERY small (see my picture which I took quickly as we were leaving at 7am). It's strange but they don't actually feel that small when you are in them. We had loads of bags and pretty much all of them fitted in the big storage cupboard in the room.

The showers and toilets are shared and if you feel like you need a good night's sleep then ask for a room away from these as I did get woken up very early both mornings with people outside going in and out of the shower. Ideally you want a high floor and a room that looks out over the front street.

The staff were just great at giving us help calling a cab to take us to the station on our way home, recommending places to eat, helping us read maps etc.

Would really recommend it and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank Anna N
Reviewed December 31, 2005

We stayed at Andon Ryokan in late Oct '05 for four nights. If you are looking for good and very clean accommodation at a budget price with Japanese hospitality then Andon is highly recommended. Rooms are small with simple furnishing (double size roll out futon, TV, DVD player and air conditioner. Bedding, towels and Japanese slippers are supplied). For an extra few dollars, you can have breakfast. For example they make really scrumptious cinnamon and french toasts. Note: separate male and female shared bathrooms. 500m walk to the Metro.

15  Thank zoabec
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
My Stays Asakusabashi
#9 of 75 in Chiyoda
Richmond Hotel Asakusa
Richmond Hotel Asakusa
#4 of 123 in Taito

Been to Andon Ryokan? Share your experiences!