“Bacon & Egg Sandwich”
Review of Andon Ryokan

Andon Ryokan
Ranked #8 of 122 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Excellent modern ryokan experience, friendly staff, well designed rooms, small, but enough shelves to put everything. Highlight was the super tasty bacon & egg sandwich for breakfast! The perfect fuel for a big day walking through tokyo.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kyles43
andonryokan, マネージャー at Andon Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and we are very happy to have your comment.

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay in Andon.
Although our rooms are rather small, we always hope our guests to enjoy the experience to stay in small cozy Japanese rooms.We try to provide enough shelves and clothes hangers in a room.

I am glad that you enjoyed our bacon and egg sandwich.
We have various choices on breakfast menu but bacon and egg sandwivh is our best recomendation.

Thank you very much again for taking time for kind comment, we really appreciate it.

There are newer reviews for Andon Ryokan

Reviewed December 20, 2013

A traditional Japanese bed and breakfast experience with a great location, flexible guidelines and fun events. My friend from Japan recommended I spend at least 1 night at a Ryokan to get a feel for a typical stay in Tokyo.

The owner welcomed all the guests with such warmth and a welcoming smile. The ryokan was small but stylish and chic, my room was spotless and the bathrooms were brightly lit and clean. My visit to the Japanese bath upstairs was pure bliss. Guests can reserve a 40 minute slot to have private time in the Japanese bath on the fourth floor. It's the perfect way to end a long day walking around the city. Hop in the tub for a few then take a cold shower, just like a traditional yoni steam.

The ryokan also hosts events every evening, some for free and the rest for a small fee. I enjoyed drinking matcha tea, eating traditional Japanese treats and connecting with the Ryokan staff and a few of the other guests. If you are looking for a place to stay for a night or a month in Tokyo, I highly recommend this quaint, modern and well-run hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

We glad that you enjoyed staying with us. Our ryokan design is mix of Japanese modern and traditional style.
In Ryokan, you can also find our display of antique collections.
Although our rooms are rather small, we always hope our guests to enjoy the experience to stay in small cozy Japanese rooms.You can try sleeping with confortable futon on tatami floor mat.

All staffs of Andon can speak English and we are more than welcome to help you to make your stay in Japan enjoyable.

I am glad that you enjoyed Jacuzzi. It is the nice place to relax and have a private moment.
We also have extended jacuzzi hours for weekend so that all Andon guests can experience this Jacuzzi moment.

We have different events for each days, Origami workshop, Sushi making class, Tea ceremony, Sake tour, etc. It is nice way to connect with other guests and Andon staffs. I am grad you enjoyed Macha meeting event with us.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the end of our trip across a Japan. It is not in the greatest location, quite far from the central areas, but only a short walk from the subway. The rooms are pretty tiny, but clean and functional, showers are hot and powerful, and the breakfast v v tasty. The jacuzzi is lots of fun, well worth a thirty minute soak!

There are some markets a 20 minute walk away, which are pretty fun, and the staff are super helpful in guiding you to fun things to do.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wilfood

Thank you very much for your comments! We really appreciate it .
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Andon.
We try to give our guests useful information to make your stay in Japan wonderful, especially information on fun things to do around our neighbors.

We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast as well.
Andon staffs cook breakfasts in front of our guests to serve warm breakfasts.

We are located close to Minowa subway station, which has easy access to the Tokyo central areas.
Asakusa area is only 20min. on foot and on the way, you can find a lot of Japanese local restaurants and shops to stop by.

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Even though I only had a night's stay at Andon Ryokan, I had a pleasant experience. My experience started from the moment I arrived at Minowa station and I was walking from the station to the ryokan and I took a wrong crossing. A friendly and helpful gentleman from the neighborhood walked with me to the ryokan after I asked him for directions. When I arrived at the ryokan, Ryoko greeted me with warmness and offered hot tea together with a small snack. She also made sure to oriented me the vicinity of the area and recommended this really good Tendon Tempura which is about 3 blocks away. Note: Be prepared to queue for its worth.

The room is pretty small if you're expecting your 5 star room size, but it is well furnished enough for a single traveller. Bathroom and toilets are shared. There's a personal jacuzzi located on the 4th level, which you need to put down your reservation for it.

Andon Ryokan is located in a quiet neighbourhood, so if you're expecting all the shopping malls and restaurants and bars, this is not the location for you.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your comments!
We very appreciate it and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Andon.
We try to give our guests useful information to make their stay in Japan wonderful !!

We are located close to Minowa subway station but very easy to get lost. If you take a wrong exit or crossing, it is hard to find us. I am relieved to hear that a gentleman hepled you to find the way.We are very sorry that you had to walk around to find us.

I am grad to hear that you enjoyed Tendon Tempura. This Japanese restaurant is very popular for its tast and also their nice old histrical atmosphere. Yes, you have to wait to get seated but I agree, it's totally worth.

Although our rooms are rather small, we always hope our guests to enjoy the experience to stay in small cozy Japanese rooms with comfortable tatami mat and futon.
Jacuzzi is one of the attractions in this ryokan. You can relax in a hot bath while looking at designer's paint tiles. You can reserve the jacuzzi for free and it is private use for the time you reservaed. It is very nice way to recover from the fatigue of your traveling and shopping for all day long.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I like it much.

Pros:
1. artistic, everywhere a photo spot
2. a luggage elevator (not common in ryokans)
3. very good breakfast, with enough choices
4. helpful staff: they had my super large suitcase sent ahead...
5. washrooms and shower rooms on each floor
6. designer jacuzzi, (the yellow rubber duck provided)
7. hot water dispenser and teabags (english n japanese) on each floor
8. very close to Sky Tower

Cons:
1. hair dryer a little weak
2. ventilation in the powder room could be improved
3. room size OK for me but the well-built, especially some westerners might find it too tiny
4. the building is quite hidden, might have to ask for directions

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
andonryokan, マネージャー at Andon Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments! We very appreciate it and we hope that you enjoyed your stay at Andon.

Jacuzzi is one of the attractions in this ryokan. You can relax and have a private moment in there while looking at designer's paint tiles ( and also playing with the yellow rubber duck).
We located at very close to Asakusa area and the SKYTREE. You can also see the SKYTREE from our roof top (5th floor)

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Andon Ryokan is a modern take on a traditional Japanese Ryokan. Located in a quiet neighbourhood in the North East part of Tokyo it's quite a trek to the main hub of Shibuya and Shinjuku but within walking distance of beautiful Asakusa. It's a 5 minute walk to the nearest subway, Minowa, connecting you to the rest of the city.

Well maintained with English speaking and knowledgable staff, particularly Ryoko, Andon Ryokan is an affordable and wonderful place to stay. So much so I've now stayed there four different times!

Small touches like origami in your room when you arrive, green tea and biscuits on check in and regular organised activities with other Andon guests make this a really special place to stay.

The rooms are small but comfortable and quiet with high speed wifi, and breakfast is delicious.

I can't recommend this place enough. I dream of my next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AdamGoodall

Thank you very much for your comments! We very appreciate your thoughtful coments.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Andon and also Origami workshop.
We are all happy to see you each time you visit Andon and thank you for sharing the time with us for four different times!!
We hope to see you again.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Andon Ryokan is a little to the north of central Tokyo - about 5 minutes walk from Minowa metro. This is not so good if you want to be close to nightlife areas, but great if you want to get a feel for what a local Tokyo neighbourhood is like. The hostel itself is beautifully designed, well-maintained and kept very clean. The staff speak very good English and amazingly helpful - in my experience you can ask them to help with anything; they were even happy to help me trace an iPod which I left in Kyoto station. I can't speak highly enough of the place. A word of advice: if you plan to stay out late you need to make sure you keep your entry card safe as the reception and front door close at 10pm.

Room Tip: I had a room on the ground floor - I was up early so the early morning stirrings in the hostel didn...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your comments! We very appreciate it .
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Andon.
We try to give our guests useful information to make their stay in Japan wonderful all the time. Howevwe, at same time we also learn a lot from our guests!!
Thank you very much once again for staying with us and sharing wonderful time together .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Hotel Mystays Asakusa-bashi
THE GATE HOTEL Asakusa Kaminarimon by HULIC
Richmond Hotel Premier Asakusa International
Shinjuku
Hotel Sunroute Higashi Shinjuku

Been to Andon Ryokan? Share your experiences!