“Good for Solo Traveller”
Review of Juyoh Hotel

Juyoh Hotel
Ranked #17 of 73 Specialty lodging in Taito
Reviewed May 20, 2010

After my nightmarish experience at Mayflower Roppongi, this hotel was good enough for me. It's old but clean. You get one Japanese-style room to yourself. Communal toilets and boiling water/tea facilities on every floor. Bathrooms on some floors only. Free use of shower foam, shampoo & hairdryer. You get towels & bathing robe. Limited channels on TV. There's a convenience store about 5 min walk away.

Location is not so great, 10 min walk from station. Surroundings feel seedy but once you are in the hostel it's ok. If you do a lot of shopping in Tokyo, you will have a hard time lugging your luggage to the station & at the station (bridge & stairs). But hey for this price I think it's not too bad!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Aki_07

Reviewed April 18, 2010

I stayed at the Juyoh for a short 4 night stay in Tokyo during cherry blossom season, my only time ever in Japan. After three months of travelling around Asia, I very much appreciated the my own single room. It was clean, the bed was nice, the windows open and I liked the slippers and sleeping kimono. There were rarely any tea bags down the hall, but I did enjoy the hot water as it was cold outside. I also enjoyed using the Japanese tub up on the top floor although it was annoying to have to go down to the front desk before and after the bath to pick up/return the key (the door is locked during female only hours). The location near the subway makes getting around a snap and there are also some good areas within walking distance. There is a 7/11 and grocery store nearby and the rooms have minifridges. The nearby ramen place and pub that the hotel recommends were among my favorite eating experiences in Tokyo and I would certainly not have found them on my own. After the madness in other parts of Tokyo I really enjoyed coming home to this neighborhood.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank darbeaux
Reviewed April 13, 2010

stayed as my first hotel in japan and first impressions of the area were not brilliant but as holiday progressed began to realise was down to earth japanese working class district. staff were amazingly friendly and had lots of interesting discussions over a beer along with other travellers. quite close to a subway and would def stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank vicandbob1
Reviewed January 6, 2010

I highly recommend staying at Juyoh to anyone looking for an affordable place that offers all the amenities needed for a comfortable trip.

Juyoh Hotel has many benefits and a great place for a couple or single person to stay. Benefits are:

1. tea and hot water readily available. This saved me money as I did not have to buy water
2. the room is clean and has all the basic amenities.
3. Staff are friendly and helpful
4. the hot tub is rarely used and I enjoyed it twice to myself
5. location is not too bad. It's about a 7 minute walk to a metro station which easily takes you all over Tokyo. Tsukuba express also runs through the metro station for anyone heading north east out of Tokyo
6. a quiet and safe neighbourhood
7. free internet in the room!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank wt88Austin
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Sure, it is a budget hotel, but if you rate this as a budget hotel and compare it to what else you may get in Tokyo, its hard to argue what a great deal it is.

The room was quiet, the bed comfortable, and the community bath very nice and clean.

The community room has 5 computers that you can access for free, as well as a couple guitars, the paper, and free coffee/tea.

There is a grocery store and a 7/11 nearby, and the train/subway station is about a 10 minute walk. You will generally have to transfer once or twice to get to most locations, so you may be trading off a bit of location for a room (vs a hostel).

The neighborhood is working class, but safe.

As for the staff:

Shempei seems to be the activity planner and works the small bar. The entire staff is very helpful and accomodating. They gave me quick pointers on how to take the bus to Tokyo station rather than try the subway in "rush hour' with my backpack on.

Summary:

Great budget hotel that has a small sacrifice in location for a quiet, individual room. I'd stay here again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank TravelerTom1221
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Considering I've stayed at a lot of hostels, I'll say that this one was one of the better ones. The rooms were actually super nice (for a hostel) and really clean. We had a mini-fridge, which was useful, yukata and slippers.

The washrooms kinda sucked. There were only two stalls and water sometimes leaked into them from the shower.

The staff were really nice. They kept our luggage stored while we went to Kyoto for a week and then when I came back in the morning (before I could realistically check-in), they let me take a shower, which I thought was nice.

The location is dull. Ueno is old, doesn't have much to offer, and it's out of the way from everything (minus Ueno station, which is a great central location to take trains elsewhere outside of Tokyo).

I wouldn't stay here again, though, just because the location sucks and if you want to experience Tokyo nightlife, it wouldn't be ideal (since trains stop running at around midnight).

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank magesticbaby
Reviewed September 27, 2007

They Juyoh hotel is really cheap, and the only reason I would recommend it to anyone would be if they specifically asked for cheap rooms in Tokyo. The hotel offers just about what you can expect to the low price, but does not try one bit to exceed expecations.

The showers aren't all that fresh, there is a 1 AM curfew, not all the receptionists speak English, the rooms are really spartan and it's not located in a very nice part of Tokyo either. On the plus side is the computers and the WLAN, and also that it's quite clean.

If you are a backpacker, travelling on a tight budget and don't plan to stay on the hotel more than necessary, the Juyoh might be right for you, otherwise I would recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rubbad