“Excellent location for a first Japan trip”
Review of Via Inn Asakusa

Via Inn Asakusa
Ranked #25 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Lethbridge, Canada
“Excellent location for a first Japan trip”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our first trip to Japan and we were very pleased with the Blue Wave Asakusa and the surrounding area. The temple and market area were very close by and the subway stations to other parts of Tokyo were a 5 minute walk. The room seemed a reasonable size for Tokyo and was very modern and well kept. We were happy with our stay here and would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our first night in Japan, we spent one night in Tokyo before moving on to Kyoto. We took the Keisei Skyliner to Ueno station. The hotel is a short subway ride away, but we were tired and decided to take a short taxi ride instead. This hotel was the best priced of anywhere we stayed in Japan, so we weren't expecting too much. We were pleasantly surprised by every aspect of this hotel. It was clean, convenient to restaurants and shopping, and a very short walk to Senso-ji Temple. We had a view of part of the temple complex from our room. The bed was comfortable, the room a decent size for Japan, and the shower was good. The free Wi-Fi only worked in the lobby, but that was fine for our short stay. As far as the hotel staff, we only spoke to them while checking in and out, but everyone was pleasant and helpful with directions, etc. At the end of our trip to Japan, we stayed for a couple nights in Shinjuku, but we far preferred the Asakusa area, it had a lot more character. We plan on returning to Japan, and when we are in Tokyo, we will definitely stay in Asakusa and seek out this hotel in particular. It was a very good value for the money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JenC-7
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Love the hotel definitely!

Stayed at the hotel for 4d3n. Took the twin room so it had ample space for me my hubby n daughter. Located near to Asakusa Temple. . Like 5mins walk. Near to train stations and near to Tokyo Skytree.

If you wish to come to asakusa/ nippori/ ueno.. stay here. It's really convenient.

• Stayed December 2012
Netherlands
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I enjoyed my 7 nights at the Blue Wave Inn. Neigbhourhood is absolutely great and very close to the subway station. (I loved Asakusa and Ueno best of all parts of Tokyo),
Rooms are a decent size, bed was comfortable, hot water pressure great.
Internet (lan, a connector is available in the room) is included and never failed me.
The hotel has a restaurant, I never used it, but the menu looked tasty.
Not a lot of channels on tv, but you can buy a tv card if you want.
My floor had a vending machine for soft drinks as well as beer.
I would stay again on a next trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Meyem
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have had more than 15- 12 day stays at Blue Wave Inn and found the staff extremly helpful and friendly..I usually arrive at about 9am book in time is 3 pm but they look after your baggage until
you return and book in..Room was always clean and comfortable..The Hotel is in an ideal location
less than 5 min. walk from Sensoji, Nakamise dori also hany to Ginza Line subway station..
Rates are very reasonable..I have never haqd any problems at all..Thank you Blue Wave Inn..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Singapore
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I like it that the hotel is in the Asakusa area, with the Sensoji temple and Nakamise shopping street nearby. The surrounding area is pretty safe. We saw a few girls walking on the streets alone at night. The shops close early though. However, area aside, I was pretty disappointed with the hotel since many were raving about this hotel. it makes me wonder if I've stayed in another hotel.

We stayed in the small double room and the room is extremely small. I had learned from the description (and reviews) prior to booking that the room is small, however this is not what we had expected. The furnitures are huge (working tables) and took up so much space that we couldn't open up 2 medium sized luggages fully. We stayed for 4 nights and moved to another hotel at Ueno which we were glad that we did. Distance from the hotel to train station is ok, but if you are lugging many luggages or are travelling with kids, walking to the hotel could be a chore.
We had booked non-smoking room but was given a smoking room at level 8. Thank goodness, there was no smell. Our room was rather dusty and I found myself coughing after mins of staying in the room. I left my mobile phone on the bed's headboard and within 5 minutes, specks of dust were making themselves comfortable on my handphone screen. We had to take wet tissues to wipe the bed's headboard and the walls above our bed to clean off the dust. The air-conditioner also took a long time to start up. The toiletries they provided are just adequate. However, there was no shower caps, and combs and cotton buds have to be obtained at the hotel lobby (and the cotton buds were always out first and we didn't find them being replenished). This is unlike the hotel that we stayed at Ueno which made us feel welcomed and at ease and which I shall provide my review for that hotel later. The toilet is really small but the taps (faucets) are very advanced. The temperature of the water comes out just nice and you can adjust the heat with ease. That was the only thing I was impressed with. They also provided fresh towels even when we did not ask to make up the room.
There was no coin laundry service (it would be good if there is one) and the hairdryer they provided have no temperature control. The staff spoke very basic English and appeared to be aloof.

If you are on a tight budget and have no qualms about small spaces, you can consider staying here for a day or 2, to visit the nearby sensoji temple and the shopping street, Nakamise. Sky Tree tower is also nearby. If you are claustrophobic, take the bigger rooms. Otherwise, we saw a few newer hotels nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlesheep_meh
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Asakusa is a great place for an introduction to Tokyo and to Japan. The Blue Wave Inn is listed as a business hotel but was
Occupied by as many tourists as business people a lot of them, Japanese.
The accommodation was spacious for Japanese hotels and was good by the standard of some European hotels.
Breakfast was predominantly Japanese in style but with a more than adequate European selection. The hotel offers dinner of a simple menu which is reasonable value for a hotel dining room.
Location is great for access to the Tokyo metro and many sights including the Tokyo Skytree.
Definitely VFM.

Room Tip: 3rd and 6th floors are non-smoking