“Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Cypress, Texas
“Excellent”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about The Edo Sakura...I loved my experience, my room (traditional Japanese style), the inn was immaculately clean and extremely quiet.
This should not however be classified as a 'Bed & Breakfast' because breakfast was NOT included, it was an additional charge.
Better directions or perhaps even a shuttle service to and from the local subway and/or train station would have been great. Most locals only speak Japanese, therefore communication to locate the inn was challenging to say t he least...
The entire staff were grand, Yoko and Koyo were excellent, went over and beyond the call of duty and spoke very good English-which was a definite advantage. I loved Yoko's energy, enthusiasm assistance and explanation of local customs and traditions.
Would I go back to Japan; possibly ? I would most certainly stay again at The Edo Sakura.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ladyhillory

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 6, 2013

A lovely new Japanese style boutique hotel situated in Shitaya. Easy to locate when coming from Iriya station.

Location: A short 3-4 min walk to Iriya station on the Hibiya line. To get to JR Uguisudani station takes about 11 min once you've figured out the best route. Getting to most tourist locations requires a change of train. A few restaurants nearby. However, for more choice, make your way to Ueno. Several small supermarkets nearby.

Hotel: Built in traditional style which is maintained throughout the establishment and not just the exterior and rooms. I love the design. See the official website: what you see there is what you get. It's also new and spanking clean.

Staff: Friendly and polite. The younger staff managing the counter all speak English.

Rooms: We stayed in a 6 mat type A (18 sq m) Japanese style room. The room was typical Japanese style: simply yet nicely decorated. Safe, fridge, TV, kettle and tea are provided. Nice size toilet by Japanese standards. Toiletries and hairdryer provided. Very, very quiet at all times of the day.
Bedding was fine but the pillow was a bit too firm for my liking. Free wifi worked well throughout our 6 day stay and for multiple devices.

Meals: Breakfast is between 500-800 yen. The Japanese breakfast at 800 yen is reasonable value, tasty and quite substantial.

Laundry: Washer and dryer are available for 500 yen per use.

Misc: Didn't try to public bath as we stayed during a hot spell. During our stay, the majority of the guests were Caucasians although we did see a few Asians guests.

Recommend: I highly recommend this for anyone who would like to stay in a Japanese style accommodation rather than a generic hotel. Also for a quiet place, free from the smell of cigarette smoke.

Don't recommend: If you want to stay near a major subway station and restaurants.

I will definitely stay there again when I travel for leisure / pleasure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mum912846
London, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was our first visit to Tokyo. We had a wonderful stay at the Edo Sakura Ryokan. The place is very clean and very quiet. We stayed in a Japanese style room which was a great experience, we slept really well on our futons on the floor! The staff were very helpful. We had the full Japanese breakfast which was delicious. It may seem a little out of town, but realistically wherever you stay in Tokyo you have to go on the subway so it wasn't an issue. The Irya station is a 5 minute walk and this line is very convenient and takes you amongst other things directly to the fish market. Ueno is nearby with many places to eat, street stalls and vibrant at night with the Ameyoko markets. Definitely recommend this Ryokan

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ElizabethR4444
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a really lovely place, its nice on the outside and inside. Stayed in a traditional Japanese room and was really interesting, first time sleeping in futon. Really think everyone should try the Japanese style bedroom! It's so beautiful inside! And had a good sleep! We got to wear Yukata and walk about the hotel in it as well. There's a subway close by or a train a wee bit further. Transport is really good. The people that work here are all very nice and helpful. Will definitely want to stay here again! But I thought it was a bit expensive but I did go during summer and booked it quite last minute.

There was a public bath sort of place there. I was expecting it to be really big. It was fun for the experience for me, because I think I got an allergic reaction afterwards.

The breakfast was not as good as I expected, but still was nice. Think they should do more variety of the breakfast available especially the Japanese set.

Think the downfall is the location. It was quite hard to find, our taxi didn't even notice it and went past it. And cause of the neighborhood it's quite dark and was hard to find the way the first night.

Room Tip: Should try the Japanese Style Rooms!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank FYH713
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our first ever visit to Japan for our young family of 4, booked at short notice, had me dealing with the first difficulty - finding good accommodation in Tokyo at short notice! Luckily a search of trip advisor turned up the Edo Sakura, which had been operating less than a month (Google earth shows the location as a building site!). As first time visitors, it had everything we wanted: Japanese style rooms with tatami mats and futons, comfortable despite being quite compact, and well appointed. Each room had own shower and toilet, small tv, and free (fast) wifi. Quiet and friendly neighbourhood, an elementary school across the road, was nice watching parents dropping off their youngsters to school (no noise from the school at all). A short walk to the Iriya subway station south exit, a convenience store just around the corner. Three options available for breakfast ranging from budget to satisfying, all Japanese style, and served in the common dining area by very enthusiastic and engaging staff. No major language issues, English well understood by all the staff we dealt with. Very happy to find the Edo Sakura and will seek it out if we return to Tokyo.

Room Tip: We liked the Japanese style rooms we had (303 and 304), it was part of the experience for us. Wester...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank TropoBone
MOBILE
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I spent the night of July 2,2013 at the Edo. Extremely impressed. One stop (Iriya) from Ueno Station, and a short walk...8-10 minutes. Nobu checked me in and showed me my room, I think 305. Very clean room, western bath. Two chairs without legs and a table. Included a folder with easy instructions for the bed/futon and robe. I slept like a king on that futon! Provided a breakfast ($) ; computer in the attractive lobby; special door for after-hours entry. Quiet neighborhood w/a 24hr mini mart very close. I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank WorldwideTee
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week on a holiday with friends. The hotel is located close to the Iriya metro station, which makes transport to some of the major districts such as Taito and Ginza extremely easy.

The hotel offers the complete service in terms of attitude, communication (very good English), hygiene, room size, and price (cheap in Tokyo). I particularly liked the Japanese suites so if you don't mind sleeping on Tatami (thin mattress will be provided) then it's highly recommended.

Simply put, this is a fantastic place to stay.

One slight drawback is the limited selection of restaurants in the surrounding area. There're lots of small family restaurants that don't speak much/any English but luckily one of my friends is proficient in Japanese so we could get by easily. Alternatively, good selection of restaurants are just 5 min metro ride away.

Room Tip: Take a Japanese Suite for the complete experience, there are also western style rooms available.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank NOD101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Ueno, Asakusa
Park Hotel Tokyo
Park Hotel Tokyo
#6 of 109 in Minato
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,024 reviews

Been to The Edo Sakura? Share your experiences!