“Beautiful inexpensive pottery”

and up
Asakusa and Ryogoku Walking Tour with Sumo Wrestler
Ranked #10 of 367 things to do in Taito
More attraction details
Owner description: The stores in this neighborhood sell kitchen equipment and paper supplies to the city's restaurants. Of note are the specialty plastic food items, which are placed in restaurant windows to show passersby what goodies are being served inside.
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I spent a lot of time looking and shopping for myself, for gifts, this street has everything 'cept a place to eat. Realistic fake food, Japanese knives, china and stoneware pottery, uniforms, glassware, and a bunch of stuff you can get at home. Great prices on pottery

3  Thank scotshap

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We loved Kappabashi, though we only saw a small stretch. It's overwhelming. You can buy Japanese utensils but also the best cookware and gadgets from all over the world. As it caters to the restaurant industry, quality was good, prices fair, and the serving dishes sooo cheap. We bought a quality mandoline and a square omelet pan (kotobuki Tamagoyaki) but had suitcase space not been an issue it would have been fun to buy some of the lovely dishes and plates. You can even buy banners like the ones hanging in front of restaurants, very cool souvenirs. I hope I can go back some day, and I would like to dedicate a lot more time to shopping, and probably shipping my purchases home.

2  Thank timmind
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Lots of stores offering different kitchenware, styles and colors. Take time to shop for best price/value. Price comparable to Shinjuku retailers, if not almost the same price.

1  Thank macfoster
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Read about this place and visited here as I needed a few things for my kitchen back at home. Found between Asakusa and Ueno, we got here by walking from Asakusa. The best thing is to walk along the main road heading to Ueno if you are starting from Asakusa. Kitchen town is found perpendicular to the main Street.

You know you found it when you see a street filled with shops that caters for restaurants. Lovely place, and I found what I was looking for and got it at a wholesale price. I know it sounds crazy to buy kitchenware in Japan, but you can't beat the quality.

If you love to cook, I recommend visiting this place. I had found several useful cookware and other useful kitchen tools that I had not seen anywhere else.

1  Thank MzNomad
Reviewed December 17, 2013

If you like to cook (or even just like to eat or entertain), this is the place to go. In Kitchen Town, you're surrounded by stores that provide anything and everything for your kitchen or restaurant-- from plastic food to aprons to cookware and spices. It is a great place to seek out some useful souvenirs to bring home. I picked up some gorgeous bowls for a song, and tracked down a matcha whisk for only a few dollars.