“Heaven for the Domestic Goddess!!!”

Kitchen Town (Kappabashi)
Book In Advance
More Info
$145.44*
and up
Asakusa and Ryogoku Walking Tour with Sumo Wrestler
Ranked #10 of 367 things to do in Taito
More attraction details
Owner description: The stores in this neighborhood sell kitchen equipment and paper supplies to the city's restaurants. Of note are the specialty plastic food items, which are placed in restaurant windows to show passersby what goodies are being served inside.
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

If you're like me at all and like to be crafty in the kitchen, then you HAVE to come here before you leave tokyo!! Some of the stores are more for big restaurants but some are for the average persons filled with awesome gadgets!!! This is also an awesome spot to pick up plates, bowls, teapots... Anything! If I lived in Tokyo, I would be a frequent visitor!!!

3  Thank Cgsarah

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This street is a 20 minute walk from the famous Sensoji shrine. Just cross the road perpendicular to the enclosed market outside sensoji temple. Take the lane along the police station (there's a public toilet next to the police station) and keep going straight for about 15 minutes till you reach Kappabashi dori.

Very high quality knives, though they are also very expensive.

2  Thank ZubinM
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were a little lost even with GPS, because there are a few streets in the area with Kappabashi something as the name. We saw Kappa the strange duck looking monster around but werent finding the shops. Finally we found the map on the street and it wasnt far away, running perpendicular to the street we were on.
We didnt look far, but we found two shops selling the replica food, they were only a few shops apart. Everything was expensive as we expected from research.
My friend bought some magnets for 630yen, they were very realistic looking sushi/takoyaki ball/miniature ice cream etc. I bought two kits for making the fake food. One was for an ice cream sundae, one was for some noodles/meat. THey had them on display already made and they looked quite impressive, they sold the kits, which were a bit more reasonable (1800 for sundae kit/2000 for noodles kit). Plus I could safely transport them home. I havent made these yet, but the shopkeeper gave me the specific intrusction books in English copies. Make sure you ask, the usual inclusions are just Japanese.
Good for photos, I had heard the shopkeepers disliked tourists etc, but the two shops we went into seemed nice enough. Maybe they could tell we were intending to spend money ;-)

1  Thank Ilikethai
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a great street to visit if you like cooking and kichen-related stuff. It was the highlight of our Tokyo visit. You can browse or buy dishes, glassware, tableware, knives, cooking utensils, aprends, everything. And even if you buy nothing, the area is fascinating. We bought a few items and the prices are very reasonable. We are already planning a shopping trip next time.

1  Thank Edgeworth66
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Kappabashi is full of stores selling everything necessary for restaurants - pans, dishes, utensils, chopsticks, linen and more. There is so much variety, and quite a range of prices too. Although much is made of the plastic food models, these shops are a small number compared to the shops selling other things. I found some really good items for gifts in other stores - chopsticks, small dishes and bowls, linen etc. It could be visited on the way to or from Senso-ji, or Ueno Park.

2  Thank Selsy