“Interesting”

Tokyo National Museum
Ranked #4 of 474 things to do in Taito
More attraction details
Owner description: This famous museum houses the largest collection of Japanese artifacts and artworks in the world. With over 100,000 pieces and room to display only 4,000, exhibits are rotated constantly.
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Interesting museum. Lots of art, swords, pottery etc.
English information on the exhibits was rather limited.
Would not rush back.
If you're not really into museums and just trying to get a feel for the culture and history, probably worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,784)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"rainy day"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Limited exhibits and mostly closed for ages on end. Some good things to see but a disappointing museum considering the rich history of the country. Still, if your big on the culture you should go.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We decided to make this museum one of the first stops on our recent visit to Tokyo and I'm really glad we did. Japan appears to the tourist to be a very respectful and religious country yet at the same time very calm and serene. We were hoping that seeing some of the national treasures and artefacts would help us understand more of the culture of Japan...and it did.
Firstly i am not obsessed with museums, nor did I visit any other museums whilst in Tokyo. However when travelling I do like to understand more about the country I am in and this museum provided a real insight into that.
The complex is vast, unfortunately many areas were closed when we we the. This was not a problem and you could easily spend many hours in just the main building alone. We loved some of the old swords, the priceless kimonos, sme of the beautiful Japanese drawings and documents, the list is endless.
Don't go here and treat it as a museum, go here to understand more of the history of the country you are visiting.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

First I must admit that I am a museum fan in general. Given that, this museum has much more on display than what can be digested on a single visit. I will go back here the next time I am in Tokyo! The museum shop had a good selection of gifts and books!