“A truly delightful ryokan experience”

Sukeroku No Yado Sadachiyo
Ranked #36 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
New York City, New York
“A truly delightful ryokan experience”
Reviewed September 12, 2007

We had a delightful stay at this Edo-style ryokan in April of 2007.

I wasn't sure what to expect at a ryokan because my husband took care of the bookings. But after our stay, I was more than pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this unique experience.

BED, BATH, & BEYOND: Before arriving, I was most anxious about the bed (or lack thereof) and the bathroom. There was absolutely no cause for concern. There is no traditional box spring or mattress, but the bedding they supplied were surprisingly comfortable. The bathroom in our particular room was separated into two rooms: one with a toilet + minisink and another with a showerhead + sink. Neither were very spacious, but they were clean and the western style toilet even came with the fancy Japanese spray features. We actually never used the shower in our room because we opted for the public baths (onsen) instead. The onsens were intense and yet incredibly relaxing at the same time. We really enjoyed them!

FOOD: We enjoyed two breakfasts and one Edo-style kaiseki dinner at the Ryokan. The food was really delicious! The meals tasted great and had so much variety. We're normally spoiled by the fabulous food in Manhattan where we live, but the food in Tokyo is just on a higher level. We also highly recommend Seryna Honten for kobe beef steak and shabu shabu and Daiwa Sushi in Tsukiji market.

LOCATION: We were in Tokyo during the early part of April. The cherry blossoms ("sakura") were in full bloom and it was the perfect time for "hanami" (sakura viewing). The ryokan is a very short distance from Sumida Park along the water and not too far from Ueno Park.

We also stayed at the Park Hotel Tokyo (see my other reviews) in the Shiodome area and had a great experience there as well. I would recommend splitting your time between both hotels to experience the high tech comforts of a modern hotel as well as the old-fashioned charm of a ryokan.

• Liked — Onsens, Charm, Delicious meals
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sherek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2007

We stayed for 4 nights in March 2007and enjoyed the "Edo" difference very much. The staff were terrific, the breakfast exquisite and the ambience an evoacative bonus each night after touring the sights of Tokyo during the day.

The room was small but worked well as did the small bathroom. The thin mattress and hard floor may not suit everyone but you can double up on the mattresses. We found the hot baths TOOO hot although the experience and atmosphere of the beautiful bathrooms and the rituals were absorbing.

I enjoyed the breakfast with all the different bits and pieces and the dining rooms were again exquisite. The location is great and the surrounding streets of Asakasa were fascinating. We loved trying various small restaurants in the area.

It is perhaps a little expensive but you are paying for the unique experience of old Edo and we were happy to pay the premium.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — bed
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pies2008
london
Reviewed April 25, 2007

We are a family of four and stayed here for two nights in mid-April on our first visit to Tokyo. We found it fairly easily and the location is superb for the temples of Asakusa. Getting around the city from the ryokan was easy and the subways are pretty straightforward. Our room was bigger than expected and my daughters loved the yukatas and the tea ceremony when we arrived. The staff at Sadachiyo could not be more welcoming and helpful and it was an amazing taste of Japanese living. One of our best memories is the onsen (public baths) which were blissful after a day's sightseeing.
We would love to go back.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank LisJ
Bournemouth
Reviewed February 1, 2007

Well, what can I say that hasn't been said yet! Sadachiyo was just perfect - imagine great service, politeness, authenticity, charme and take them times 10. I stayed for 5 nights at this truly magic place back in October - I've always wanted to visit Tokyo and it was important to me to experience the "old Edo" as much as possible - and I could not have been happier. I'm already thinking of a second trip to Tokyo and I so know were I'm going to stay! Thanks to the all the staff for - and I know this sounds cheesy - making my stay in Tokyo perfect!

• Liked — Honestly? Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing...
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
3 Thank Liz242
nyc, ny
Reviewed August 5, 2006

I stayed at the Sadachiyo Ryokan last April (2005). Wanted to write a review, but spaced on it. Now that I am returning to
Tokyo next month & looking for a place to stay, I have fond memories of the Sadachiyo. Located in Asakusa, very close to the train station on an interesting street, this ryokan is a great location if you want a bit of the old Tokyo & a minimum of neon lights. Room was small but lovely and immaculate. The upstairs baths are gorgeous & soothing after a day of exploring. Exiting the station & walking through Senso-ji to arrive is a treat in its self. Japanese breakfast was delicious & the dinner of approx. 15 different dishes was a gastronomical delight. Service was extremely helpful and there a computer with free interenet service for guests. Like all of the accommodations in Tokyo, it's not cheap, but this ryokan is worth it. Very private.

8 Thank tzp
Niceville, FL
Reviewed March 3, 2006

I can only second what the previous reviewers have already stated: Sadachiyo is a wonderful place to stay! During my vacation in Japan, I wanted to get a feel for the traditional side of Japanese life and Sadachiyo turned out to be the perfect place. Located in the heart of Tokyo, it is located on a quiet side street. I never heard any street noise during the entirety of my stay.
However, this inn is only a 2 min walk from the grand Sensoji temple complex in Asakusa, one of Tokyo's most spectacular sights.
Although check-in is not until 4pm, the always friendly hotel staff let me check into my room early when I showed up at 1pm.
I had booked a single room which turned out to be much larger than I had expected. The room was exactly what I wanted: a blend of traditional Japanese decor and modern comforts (TV, hot water maker, etc). The bathroom was small, and, unlike the bedroom, it was also quite cold at night.
When I returned from sightseeing, the Japanese bedding had been laid out which I thought was extremely comfortable.
I did not experience dinner at Sadachiyo(which I now regret), because there are a plethora of small family run eateries close by. Breakfast, however, was wonderful. Served amid traditional decor, I very much enjoyed the generous portions of miso soup, grilled salmon, rice and other delicacies.
When I checked out the courteous staff helped me to make travel arrangements for the day.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a truly special place to stay that almost feels like another world, book a room at Sadachiyo!

• Stayed February 2006
16 Thank LizzyBennett12
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 1, 2006

We loved this place:
-the family that runs the place is so friendly
-they speak english
-they welcomed us with a cup of sake
-the room was perfectly clean
-we had a private toilet room and a separate shower room
-the two communal baths are awesome. They have a stone bath and a wooden bath (I preferred the wooden bath) and they alternate times for the men and women, so you will have a chance to try them both.
-we had dinner one night there which was superb. Save your appetite, it is A LOT of food, but so delicious. You get a tatami room all to yourselves and get to hang out in your yukata robes and eat a luxurious dinner.
-The rooms are small, but have everything you need. A hot pot and green tea are provided. Plus a tv and fridge with sake and beer. While you enjoy a hot bath they come into the room to lay out the futons on the tatami floor.
It was the ultimate japanese experience.
-The one problem we had was that we stayed there our first night and because of the jetlag we were up early in the morning and wanted to leave the ryokan before they unlocked the front door (it was 7am). Luckily, one of the staff heard us fumbling around and opened up the door.
-Also - great location, especially if it your first time to Japan. A quick walk to the most popular shrine in Tokyo, and it is a great area to walk around.
I would highly highly recommend this place!!

• Stayed February 2006