Sukeroku No Yado Sadachiyo
$129
$135
$115
Rakuten Travel
All reviewswooden bathryokan experiencelovely ryokankaiseki dinnerkey chainsauthentic ryokansensoji templetraditional breakfasttofukitchen towneach eveningspent one nighthot bathtwo nightsjapanese hospitalityfantastic stayasakusa station
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Usually 'my hotel was one of the best parts of my trip' means your trip wasn't very good, but that's not what I mean - staying here really was such an incredible experience.
The staff were really friendly and seemed to genuinely care - I was coughing pretty badly during my stay so they gave me a little package of lollies when I left to help me get through my flight!
My room was fabulous - it felt very zen, yet it was surprisingly comfortable (beds in Japanese hotels are hard, so sleeping on a futon on a tatami floor is as comfortable as sleeping on a bed in a regular hotel).

You get to borrow a yakuta which you can wear to breakfast and dinner in the hotel's dining room (a fun but slightly embarrassing experience - there's a reason the Japanese sit on their knees instead of cross-legged).
I had one dinner and a couple of breakfasts - the dinner was to-die-for, it included unagi, which is just as divine as Lonely Planet and the Steve Jobs bio make it sound; the traditional Japanese breakfasts were very interesting but a little much for 8:30am!
Do have dinner here if you can; if you can't do have breakfast here to experience going to what feels like a fancy restaurant in what feels like a dressing gown!
I wasn't sure whether I wanted to brave the public baths, I first went around dinner time and there was no-one else there, it was so heavenly that, when I next went and there was someone else there, I totally didn't care!

The hotel is a little hard to find, but it doesn't matter if you get lost since this is a relaxed and friendly part of Tokyo where old men ride bikes and stop to help lost tourists. Scan the skyline for the Asakusa View Hotel, opposite it (on the side of the road you'll be on if you have come from the TX station, the metro station, or Senjo-ji) there are some small laneways, walk down one and, at every intersection you come to, look for the hotel's distinctive faced.
Note that, whist the TX station is just down the road, the metro station is quite far away.
Also note that the shuttle bus to Haneda does not come to Asakusa, you will need to take three trains but, since Japanese trains are so easy to use, this really is no problem.

If you try to book several months in advance, booking websites will probably tell you there are no rooms available because they generally don't let you book small properties until about a month in advance. I was able to book three months in advance via the hotel's website - I had to send them a fax with my credit card details since they don't have a https site, but ensuring that you get to stay here is well worth that minor annoyance!
I'm not sure why, but I was quoted a rate well below the advertised rate - just 36500yen for a single for two nights with one dinner and two breakfasts, the same as the cost of an ordinary three-star hotel!

In summary, do not leave Japan without staying in a ryokan - preferably this excellent example!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank empress_cherry
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I agree with all of the positive reviews here. Staying at this ryokan is a nice change from a typical hotel stay, and worth trying, even for a day or so. What makes this place special is that the staff goes out of their way to make everything enjoyable. Their dinner recommendations were excellent, one for sushi and one for udon. And while the place has wifi, I didn't have a laptop so they provided free access to a computer station. I especially enjoyed the public baths in the hotel- between that and the cool toilet seats, I had never been so clean in my life! Breakfasts are very traditional, which is good or not, depending on the person. Our first breakfast was a real treat; the second less so, not because of them but because of me- I am allergic to clams, and there they were in the soup, and I don't eat pork, and there it was on a plate. All in all, it was fun and we were very happy that we stayed there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank baalh
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is a really good Ryokan. It's in an interesting area, not posh or touristy, close to nice temples.
The service is great. Generally, Japanese service is impeccable. At this place it was even superior. They really made us feel special, and were very helpful.
Good public baths as well.
Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank woolgatherer
Reviewed September 6, 2011

What an excellent place. Take a break from western hotels and go for a Ryokan. It was so nice experiencing something different. You also get a yucata each to wear. That is what I believe travelling should be about. Great location as well. Just down the road from Sensoji Temple and a market place which sells souvenirs. Train station is not to far away as well. We also chose to have the Japanese breakfast which I enjoyed but my overly western wife struggled with some aspects. The staff were really polite and friendly. It was an absolute pleasure staying there and dealing with the staff. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luke W
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Wonderful, wonderful, perfect!! Traditional, ancient and elegant, in a beautiful area: vital at day and quite at night, very typical (for us one of the most beautiful of the city). The Ryokan is near to many monuments and convenient than public transport.
Inside there are the "shared bathrooms" (hot and cold) ... In short, a true wonder!!!
We chose Room NO.3 (One 6 or 7.5 tatami-mat room for 2 persons): It's very confortable, clean and spacious.
(Ask for a map, which starts from the subway station, when making your reservation: just arrived it's difficult to find it, but it is only the first impact with the traditional streets of Tokyo!)

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple