“A modern Ryokan in an old town”
Review of Annex Katsutaro

Annex Katsutaro
Ranked #20 of 122 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Perth
“A modern Ryokan in an old town”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here and found it very comfortable. Well located in the "old quarters" of Tokyo, the neighborhood bustles with character. Lots to eat, see and shop! Nippori station on the JR line is just 10 mins walk and the subway is just at the door step.

This is a family own business and Meiko-san is really a jolly and friendly lady who exudes hospitality. Do note that rooms are a bit tiny as with most Jpn hotels but that is to be expected. It has everything you need to be comfortable and I appreciated the small details. They do have 2 bicycles available for rent and this is a great way to see the neighborhood.

All in, Annex K deserves their high ratings on Trip Advisor! They have worked very hard to earn it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lovethefold
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan.
We hope your stay with us was a comfortable and a memorable one.

We appreciate your comment. This means so much to us , to know what is good and what is to be improved in the future.Thank you very much.

Please do come and visit us again,maybe in another season or so!

Yours sincerley,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed for 8 nights in November. One reviewer described Annex Katsutaro as "ryokan lite" and that's a great description -- tatami mats with Western-style bath. It is very clean, with very responsive and helpful owners. There are nice touches -- tea kettle, tea bags, computer in the lobby.

What helps make this place special is the area. It's conveniently located to both the Metro and the JR Yamanote line. But the real attraction is the neighborhood -- you get to observe a slice of Tokyo life away from the skyscrapers. I really enjoyed walking around the neighborhood, looking at the small shops and restaurants. If you stay here, I'd recommend spending an afternoon or morning just walking around the Yanaka area to see the shrines and cemetery as well as the shops and galleries. It's also a nice walk to Ueno and the park/museums. If you sew, you should definitely visit Nippori Fabric Town on the other side of Nippori train station.

This is my second stay at Annex Katsutaro. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AMM133
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for your repeated stay at Annex Katsutaro Ryokan.
We are glad to know your stay with us is always comfortable and a memorable one.
You seem to be enjoying our freindly old fashioned neighbour! Yes, there is so much to explore!!

We appreciate your comment . This means so much to us for our future improvement!!

We hope there will be a chance to meet you again!
Until then please take care.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My friend and I stayed here after she had received a recommendation from a friend of hers, what a gem. This place was wonderful and I have to say my favourite part was the shower in our room it was just fantastic. We arrived late and one of the owners waited up for us and showed us around before heading off to bed. The room was cosy but I had great sleeps whilst there and it was cleaned everyday. Even though our room was next to the lift I really did not hear any sound at night a really peaceful place.

We loved the area and found a great bakery for breakfast and a fab bar within walking distance with brilliant food and music. The neighbourhood is still traditional looking compared to other areas of Tokyo and it has a real community feel, we both wanted to move in and never leave.

Easy access to subway and beautiful parks to walk through.

I would recommend this place highly and if you want breakfast they can also do that for you, the owners are lovely and considering I was told Tokyo was an expensive this place was well within budget.

Love love love.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RonsterH2013
Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan and for being such a wonderful guest.

We are glad to know that your stay with us was a comfortable and a memorable one.

We appreciate your comment.This means so much to us for our future improvement.
Thank you very much.

Please do come and visit us once again.You are always welcome at our homely ryokan.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here for 15 nights in november while exploring Tokyo. And I absolutely loved my stay at Annex Katsutaro.
The room was spotless clean. Bed made everyday. Teabags always filled up and a new teacup everyday. I had my own toilet and bathtub - perfectly cleaned every day with new towels.
The owners are friendly and nice. I had some contact before I arrived and they helped me with some questions during my stay.
The neighbourhood is fantastic. Some days i stayed in the area just becuse I liked it so much. There are shops and small restaurants. Very friendly people and it feels very local.
Its close to the subway where you can go anywhere you want in Tokyo. Also in walking distance from my favourite spot in Tokyo: Ueno park.
And its so quiet. I didnt hear a sound from the other guests or from the street. Felt like I was in a small village in the countryside.
I highly recommed this ryokan and next time i visit Tokyo I will definitely stay there again. My best regards to the owners for their polite manner and for running such an excellent place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Klaatu2013
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for your stay at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan and for being such a lovely guest.

We apprecieate your comment.This means so much to us for our improvements to our future guests. Thnak you so much.

As you mentioned, there are so many places to explore in our neighbourhood!
Please do come and visit us again, maybe in another season or so.

You are always welcome in our homely ryokan!
Until then , please take care.

Yours sincerely,
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at annex Katsutaro for 5 nights this autumn. Our room was small, but cosy, and very clean. We had our own bathroom and shower/tub, and laundry facilities are available. There was little noise, and we were able to sleep well. The staff were very helpful: we needed someone who spoke Japanese to make a phone reservation for us, and the staff called for us. The location is in a quieter area than downtown Tokyo, and there are many small shops and restaurants near by. It is also within a 5 min walk of the Chiyoda Subway line, and a 10 min walk form the JR Yamanote line, making it very easy get around Tokyo.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janna W
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your stay at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan!
We hope your stay was a comfortable and a memorable one.

We appreciate your comment .This means so much to our future improvements.
We are always willing to keep up what is good and to improve what is'nt.

Please do come and visit us again, maybe in another season or so.
You are always welcome in our homely ryokan!!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We went in April and stayed for a total of 2,3 days. It's a very calm area and lots to see right around from the hotel as well as close to the park which we walked to. People are friendly and there is a great little shop right across that sells delicious chicken on a stick! And the hotel staff was very friendly!!! Id go again

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan and for being such a wonderful guest!

We hope your stay with us was a comfortable and a memorable one.

We appreciate your comment.This means so much to us for our future improvement.
Thank you so much.

Please do come and visit us again!You are always welcome in our homely ryokan.

Until then, please take care.

Hanalei, Hawaii
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We wanted a quiet neighborhood with some of the "old Japan" and Annex Katsutaro and the Yanaka neighborhood was perfect! The hotel is built well so you do NOT hear your neighbors and the ensuite ofuro is a wonderful luxury. The room was very clean and made up everyday. The owners and their part time staff (she spoke fluent English) were extremely helpful in helping us navigate the different areas in Tokyo.
I loved walking, eating, and shopping right in the neighborhood. There's a 7-11 up the "hill" that has a machine that grinds coffee beans then slow drips fresh coffee for $1.50. Just steps away from the ryokan is "family mart" that has wonderful warm oden that we had for a couple of our breakfast. Everyday we bought fresh fruits, grilled seafood, hot coquettes, and enjoyed 2 great restaurants - the Unagi and Tonkatsu ones- in the neighborhood. I loved that there were 2 generations running a wonderful senbei shop and konyaku was being made fresh daily. There's a sweet bakery nearby that opens at 6:30 am with sandwiches and baked goods.
Ueno park is nearby. The owners will help you catch the local bus that stops right across the street.
I would come back to Annex Katsutaro any time I'm in Tokyo. So easy to walk to JR train station and metro and of course the little local bus.
Get lost in the neighborhood - so much to explore - small shops, wonderful tea shop, a 100 yen shop (dollar store) to pick up a little knife for your fresh fruits,etc. Explore the litte alleys - that's how we found the wonderful tonkatsu place. This hotel and its neighborhood made Tokyo one of our favorite stops on our 19 day tour of Japan.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the larger room.