“Big park, nothing spectacular”
Review of Ueno Park

Ranked #3 of 358 things to do in Taito
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This large park is a favorite destination of Tokyo residents, and within can be found many of the city's main attractions including the Tokyo National Museum, Ueno zoo and the National Museum of Western Art.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I visited Ueno Park this January, and I thought it was just OK. I liked the fountain, the museums and the Toshogu Shrine. Kiyomizu Kannon and the statues of Dr. Nagoya and the Imperial Prince were also pretty neat. To me, the rest of the park didn't seem all that spectacular... I think maybe I went into it expecting a lot more. For me, Bentendo was a bit disappointing, and the park itself wasn't as nice as I was expecting, though I did go in winter so that might have something to do with it. While I probably wouldn't go back if I went to Tokyo again, I would recommend visiting both the Tokyo National Museum, and the National Science Museum, which are both located inside the park.

There are newer reviews for Ueno Park

Reviewed February 12, 2014

If you are looking for a place to have a walk and to relax, you can visit this park. I bet this is good to visit in spring. The time we went there is still winter time and most trees have no leaves. Though finding food is not a problem coz there are lot of food stalls inside and it has starbucks inside the park. You can also find museum, zoo and others. This Park is also accessible by JR line and easy to find. If you are getting a tokunai pass, you can definitely drop by on this park for a visit.

1  Thank cuteroyale
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I loved Ueno Park when I visited a few years ago in summer, in particular the beautiful lily ponds. In winter it's not quite as impressive, and it seems they are removing a lot of the grass/natural walkways and replacing them with cement, but Ueno Park is still a great place for a walk and the fountain linking the Park with the Art Museum is impressive.

3  Thank Genevieve S
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This place is good for relax. There is a lake where you can rent a boat, it is full of green. I had the privilege to visit this place at the time of Sakura season with festivities. Lots of people visit this place in the evening for drinks and very nice food which you can get in almost any stand in the park.

2  Thank Norosk
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Ueno Park is the first official park that Japan has ever had, and wow it's so beautiful!
We visited Tokyo during summer, but my call is to visit in during spring, so you'll be amazed by the cherry tree in blossom...of which Ueno Park is full.

What you'll notice as soon as you're near the park is the welcoming never-ending call of the cicalas scattered on every trees, but you'll get used to it soon. The park itself is really beautiful, houses the Bell of Time and 2 museums (Tokyo nationa museum and National Museum of Nature and Science) and it's a good place to eat a bento during lunch time :)

4  Thank Glorfind3l