“We loved The Gate Hotel”

THE GATE HOTEL Asakusa Kaminarimon by HULIC
Ranked #2 of 125 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have visited Tokyo many times before and also stayed in Asakusa but this was our first stay at the Gate Hotel. Even though it was April and cherry blossom season with loads of tourists we still got two adjoining rooms for a very reasonable rate considering the time of year. It was a late booking on my behalf, and we had to switch rooms once but the staff were very helpful. The rooms were very nice and quite spacious, yes, it is a new hotel so that helps. The upstairs bar and view is great for an adult nightcap and the location in the older part of town was perfect for children (mine are 12 and 16) to have a wander around safely. Access to the rest of the city is quite easy on the subway. I would definitely stay there again either as a couple or as a family. We visited Disneyland, Harajuku, Shinjuku and other places with not a lot of hassle at all. It was always nice to come back to The Gate after a long day out!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Christopher G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

The hotel room is the biggest I have seen in Tokyo. The bathroom was not of those capsule size and there is actually space to open 2 luggage even with an extra bed in the room. Our room on the 12 floor has great view of the Skytree and the main gate to the Senso-ji. I would say the room was worth the price given that hotel rooms are actually not cheap in Tokyo. There is a supermarket next door to grab some snacks and drinks and the subway is just a short walk away. The tour guide recommended that we take a walk to Senso-ji at night when it is lighted up, but we were too tired to stay up after the long flight on the night before.

Room Tip: The higher floors will have good view of the Skytree.
3  Thank syen27
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We loved the Gate Hotel. We just returned from a family trip to Tokyo and Kyoto (us plus our three 20-something kids).
The hotel is in Asakusa, a wonderful older part of town. It is steps from a subway station that will get you to all other parts of Tokyo. It is across the street from Sensoji, the huge temple in Asakusa. The hotel is located in a modern building - take the elevator up to the lobby on the 15th floor with a beautiful view over Tokyo towards the Tokyo Skytree.
The hotel staff is welcoming and helpful. They gave us suggestions on local ramen shops and happily lent us large umbrellas (5 of them) to counter the rain we had not anticipated.
Our rooms were beautifully decorated, cool and spare with colorful, contemporary art highlights and comfortable. We got one room for all 3 kids (relatively inexpensive, tight but fine) and the Balcony Suite (so that everyone could have a place to hangout together). Beds were very comfortable.
We ate at the restaurant for breakfast 2 mornings (the others we breakfasted at Tsukiji Market). Very nice small buffet (included orange juice squeezed in front of you) and honey dripping from a ~12"x 15" honeycomb. The french toast from the menu was particularly delicious.
We will definitely return.

Room Tip: The Balcony Suite gave us outdoor space (but it was raining)(note: it is a narrow balcony, no chairs...
1  Thank lorilander
Reviewed June 20, 2014

The room is considered to be of very decent size by Japan standard and the location is just super and there is a supermarket right next door to it - since the hotel doesn't even provide a kettle in the room (or at least I couldn't find one in my room), it's just great that you can grab some bottled water on the way back to hotel.

I would have given them 5 star if not for the very poor service I received from the staff during my two night stay…

First, I wanted to go to a nice teppanyaki restaurant in Ginza area, so I went to the staff to ask for recommendations. What did I get? "Oh, all the teppanyaki restaurants there are nice." and he didn't bothered to give me any recommendation at all!

Next, I asked about transportation to the airport and I told the staff that I will be leaving tomorrow night. He gave me two options - to take a taxi somewhere (I can't remember the name of the two places now) for about 1,000yen and I can then take the airport limousine bus (I told him that because I have a very heavy luggage so I don't want to take the train). He said the whole journey takes less than an hour.

When I checked out the next night at around 8.30pm (my flight was close to mid-night), I was shocked when the staff told me that the last airport limousine bus has already left at 8.30pm and the other will be leaving at 8.45pm! To make matter worst, this female staff (I didn't see her name) was extremely rude and unhelpful and she gave me that look like I was an idiot that I didn't know the timing of the last bus! She was hitting the keyboard so hard when I asked her to help me check on the timing for the train and she was also quite impatient when I confirmed with her again on the direction to go to the train station where there is an elevator. I must say she is the RUDEST hotel staff I have ever met.

Since I told the first male staff the day before that I will be leaving at night, he could have at least asked me what time I was leaving or tell me about the timing for the last bus.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank ilovethebeach06
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Hotel was very clean and comfortable. Good location, close to subway, restaurants and cafes. Shops and Culture all around. Nothing negative worth mentioning. Highly recommended. Temples on the doorstep.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob J
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is a great hotel for first trip to Japan. Stayed a total on 8 nights. Loved the first 6 nights, so re-booked on way back. Rooms clean and perfect size. Staff great. Breakfast with a view to die for.

2  Thank Colin G
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My group is scheduled to visit Tokyo on 30 October 2014 and have reserved The Gate Hotel. We will be on a package tour and will be visiting Mt. Fuji, Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo’s Akihabara Electric Town and other places. May I know if this hotel is one of the pick-up points for our tour?

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Ueno, Asakusa
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
#9 of 78 in Chiyoda
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier

Been to THE GATE HOTEL Asakusa Kaminarimon by HULIC? Share your experiences!