“Experience the old Japan house”
Review of Taito Ryokan

Taito Ryokan
Ranked #64 of 125 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I cannot say this is the best place to stay, but if you want to experience a bit of old Japan house, with a cheap price and good location, then this is it. You'll get the pillow with beads inside, a futon and a thin blanket (don't mind since I traveled in summer). The air contains a certain smell from old wood and tatami - and it sticks to your clothes.
The stairs are bit steep, just like old 2-storey wooden houses, and creaks here and there.
The location is perfect - within the Asakusa vicinity, although the nearest metro station - Tawaramachi - don't have an elevator
The owner / caretaker (?) - Satoshi-san is very friendly & helpful, with fluent English

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank heliana_ea

Reviewed February 13, 2012

I haven't felt moved to write a review here before (positive to negative) but I wanted to share a few words of warning for other travellers: this was probably my worst experience in Japan! The place was freezing (unlike others we stayed), the owner grumpy and unhelpful, and the rooms were sparse. It's fine for the price, just don't expect any warm customer service!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sandcastles14
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Like many of the other reviewers, I can say that this place is cheap!, but I would have probably been more comfortable at a capsule hotel than here in the middle of winter. The room was minimal as expected (no TV expect in the small common room; just a room with a nice futon, blanket and small pillow), but the place had no insulation. Like the windows barely covered me from the outdoors.

I did have a system to keep from being miserably cold.

1.) Get to room and turn on overhead heat (kicked on only after a few minutes).
2.) Grab towel and toiletries and go take a hot shower (the hot water was plentiful).
3.) Climb into futon and let the heat from the shower/my body heat up the bed.
4.) Stay there and wait until bedtime.

So, this place did make my stay in Japan a little uncomfortable. Even with me leaving extremely early in the morning and getting back around 8/9ish. The manager was super nice, and I never felt unsafe at all. The room was clean (old, but clean). I loved the area of the hotel, but it was cold. All of the common areas were cold, too. I debated with myself how badly I needed to go to the bathroom at night since it was pretty painful to get out of my semi-cold room into the freezing cold hallway. I guess people in Tokyo don't have to worry about frozen pipes? Granted, I had the room that didn't have tatami mats and the manager did mention that it was colder and offered me a different room where I would share with another person. But I can't imagine that tatami mats would have made that big of a difference since the walls themselves were seeping heat.

So, I would not stay here again. I would only recommend this place as an alternative to hostels when it's warm outside.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Fujiko D
Reviewed October 25, 2011

As an introduction to living in a Ryokan in a busy city - at a super price, this really can't be beaten. The manager is really friendly, the rooms clean and tidy and is being renovated in many areas that were previously wearing out. Don't expect The Ritz, but the atmosphere in the house is superb. These kind of places are essentially other peoples' houses that you happen to rent a room in for a night or two. If you behave respectfully to the place and the people you meet here you will have a super time. I did not expect much and was very pleasantly surprised. Yes, shoji screen walls are thin -but that's the point. I never saw any insects, and my bags were safe too. I loved this house - after the destruction wrought in this area in the 1940s, the fact this house was built in 1950 makes it an antique. Look after it and it will look after you. Home from home, indeed. I, for one, will be back.

Room Tip: Ground floor, two-futon better than upstairs, but only due to noisy visitors in the room next door.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Graham B
Reviewed October 21, 2011

All-in-all we got what we paid for at Taito Ryokan. It's not fancy, quite run-down and you can hear *everything* going on in the other rooms.
That being said, we were looking to spend a lot of time in Tokyo out-and-bout and weren't looking for luxury or a great place to relax. Our bags were safe -- we had no theft and everything was reasonably clean.
The host was reasonably friendly - even gave us some tickets to a local traditional dance performance.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mms_nj
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I was so looking forward to this place, it looked so charming and atmospheric from their website. But it's a fairly typical attitude to old buildings in Japan, they never clean or maintain anything, they are squeezing the last yen out of it before they demolish it. The manager spoke English but sat in his office and never came out and treated you like a nuisance if you came in. Our room smelt of urine, everything was old and dirty but the WORST, probably the WORST thing I have ever seen in any accommodation at any price was a sign on the handbasin saying "Do not [--] in here". (They used the real word but Trip Advisor won't let me put it in) Maybe it was 'lost in translation' but how welcoming is that?

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank fernfrench7
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Taito came highly recommended to us by a friend who had stayed there previously, so despite the ringing in my ears of "gets what you pay for" we booked in for our first 4 nights in Japan. We arrived early and were told to wait in a room just opposite the office that doubles as reception. The furniture there was wrecked and the cushions on the collapsed remnants of what was once a wicker seat clearly hadn't moved / been fluffed up in a long while. The guy at reception (who seems to be the manager too) wasn't best pleased we had turned up early, even though he knew our flight details and made no mention that we shouldn't arrive until he said so.
After a short while, we were allowed into our room which was of an adequate size but entirely devoid of any furniture. Our sleeping mats were there and had clearly seen some action in there time - fortunately the sheets looked freshly laundered and despite being a bit thin would do the job. I'm not sure what room number we had, but it was the first on the right as you go up the stairs. Overall, the room was a dump. The walls cracked and yellow, where they weren't black from dirt that is... the mozzie screen had holes in them so we would clearly be considered dinner.. At this point it's worth noting that the Lonely Planet guide says bugs aren't too much of an issue in Tokyo - what a lie that is. They have Tiger Mozzies by the billion. I can wander around in Florida for a week and not get a single bite so I'm not the type who usually gets eaten alive. Tokyo I got regularly munched on and when a Tiger Mozzie bites, you know about it the next day. Anyway, back to the room; We had an airconditioner that was at least 25 years old. It worked, but only until the thick layer of fluff on it iced up, then it became useless as the air no longer flowed. Just to make things that little bit better, our window looked into an 8 foot square stairwell, where the restaurants downstairs left their rubbish. So, we have a hot, dirty room with mozzies, stinks of rotting food and no furniture - gonna be a good one this....

After a deeply uncomfortable night on a wafer thin and tired bed mat we asked if we might be able to have another mattress each (since we'd found a cupboard full of them). We were met with a disgruntled and abrupt "No, one each only" response - thanks for that then..

Facilities are basic. During our stay there was just one shower and one toilet available - happily it wasn't a squatting pan :) The shower is accompanied by a japanese bath set into the floor. Don't wander when you're washing your hair as you could fall in the bath! The shower room has a private annexe to it where the washing machine lives, so if you're timing is right, you get the washing machine pump out (cold) soapy water into the shower room and fill it up to your ankles. Nice! Like our room, the shower room was old, worn out and much of the tiling was cracked and dirty. On the plus side, there seemed to be no end of hot water.

In summary - don't bother. It might be the cheapest joint in town, but you really aren't getting much for your money. I wish I could say something positive about Taito, apart from it's location, but frankly, I can't... Spend a bit more and you can get so much more for your money.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple