Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
$43
Free cancellation until 10/23/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Priceline
$41
Agoda.com
$37
Free cancellation until 10/23/21
Booking.com$48
eDreams$48
Orbitz.com$43
All reviews small fridge common kitchen living room tv shower bed solo floor lines slippers
Selected filters
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at several different hotels in the Minami-Senju area and Palace Japan delivers great value for the price.

The whole place is incredibly clean. Toilets and showers are shared, but the facilities are spotless and very comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was great, and hot water abundant. I wish they had a "washlet" toilet seat, but they did not.

The room, of course, is tiny. You can see from the pictures at this site. The wifi was reliable, and I got a consistently strong signal. And it's free. Bedding was Japanese style - so the pillow is the buckwheat (I think) type common in Tokyo - a bit hard for an American head. The windows can be opened to give some fresh air, but they keep the sound out very well when closed. There is air conditioning - the remote is Japanese only, but with some patience, you can figure it out. (Blue means cold.) There is a small "closet" that has a combination lock on it - very smart design.

When I arrived, the staff (a woman who lived in the US for a while) was extremely helpful. She gave me a map, pointed out some local sights, and even recommended an excellent sushi restaurant nearby. It was a very warm welcome!

The one thing that was inconvenient is the cleaning time of the toilets/showers. They clean from 9-10am, so the showers are not available then. Check-out time is 10am (as is common in Tokyo), so that implies that you need to have completed any toilet/shower/sink activity before 9am on the day of your departure. I realize that Japanese custom is to bathe in the evening, but with so many hours in the day, I wonder why they select 9-10am as the time to clean the showers.

In summary, this is an excellent choice for someone willing to have shared facilities and get quite an affordable rate in Tokyo. The area around Minami-Senju is full of economy-priced lodging, but the Palace Japan provides much better value than similarly-priced alternatives.

Date of stay: June 2012
3  Thank bobby_l
Reviewed June 9, 2012

actually, i found this place to be surprisingly a great place to stay.

for the price (6000 Yen/double), you get a decent place to stay (smallish area but hey, this is tokyo) with tvs for each bunk bed, a mini fridge, wi-fi (big plus in my book!), a great toto toilet (heated seat, toilet lid opens up when the door opens, etc), an elevator, laundry, 2 imacs for common-use and so on. also, the facilities feels new, which is fantastic. the shared facilities are the baths, toilet, kitchen, living room areas which are ok, and i like that from the living room and kitchen, you get to look out onto the street as well as get some sunlight and air in. so in terms of facilities provided, i would give it a grade "a".

staff-wise, i found them really friendly and helpful. was looking for some information regarding various places and things to do, and they helped check, call and ask around.

bed-wise, some people have mentioned that it's perhaps not the most comfortable sleep to be had, but i had no issue with it. the pillows are the japanese-kind and are firm and good to sleep with. but that's my own personal preference. one thing to note however, like many japanese hostels / budget places, it is true that the walls can be rather thin, so if you get a group staying on your floor and trying to wake up various people in the morning, you probably would wake up too. so for the sake of keeping peace, i probably would for example, keep my voice low at night as well as watch sports in the common room (we were following the japanese female volleyball team that was being shown "live").

location-wise, no big issue about safety and security. one building in particular probably is a bit seedy at night, but i had no problems or worries walking the area late at night. there's also a koban along the way from the train to palace japan. only thing is that it's in the eastern part of tokyo, so if you plan your activities mainly in the shibuya, shinjuku, etc area, i would recommend you stay around the western part so you can save on the commute. however, if your activities are around ueno, akihabara, ryogoku, akasuka, then this would be a good place to consider.

Room tip: with an elevator, no big issues about the floors
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank simalem
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Despite the name the format is definately more hostel than hotel - bathroom facillitites are shared, there is a communal kitchen and living room area, they have dorm rooms and bunk beds. However there are some features which you won't usually find in a hostel such as TVs and fridges in the rooms and an elevator, apple macs in the lobby. The Hotel Palace Japan is clean and quite modern throughout, however the beds are very hard with just a thin futon instead of the matress and the pillow is like a bean bag. They clean the bathrooms between 9-10am at which time (it was my understanding) they cannot be used and I found this inconvenient as it is the time most people will get up and want to shower. The other guests were a mixture of western backpackets, asian tour groups and businessmen travelling of a budget. Its less funky than other hostels and probably not the best place if you want to meet other travellers, but this is not an problem for me. If you don't speak Japan the English level of teh staff ranges from none to fluent. The reception staff are helpful and knowledgable.

The hotel is situation near Minami Senju station which is convenient for Ueno's museums and park, and for Akihabara, but if your main insterest in Tokyo, is the modern glitz and shops of Shibuya and Shinjuku you can expet to spend 1-2 hours on the train each day. I have spend a lot of time travelling in Japan over the year and Minami Senju is the most deprived area I have seen. Coming from the UK, drunks going to the toilet or fighting in the street, and beggars asking me for money is nothing new, but its is very uncommon in Japan and female travellers may find it intimidating.

The price I paid for this place was very cheap and aside from the uncomfortable beds, the hotel itself is nice and clean enough, but I probably wont stay there again due to the location

Date of stay: June 2012
1  Thank N C
Reviewed April 8, 2012

After my conference in Japan, I had a two-day extension and decided to switch hotels because the previous hotel was expensive.

I made a reservation via email in Palace Japan around a month before my stay and upon my arrival, I think they missed or lost my reservation. They had no more single rooms left so I was given a double room instead and paid 3300 yen per night. Would have liked a single room because the double deck bed made the room feel more cramped but it's pretty much okay because at least I had places to hang and dry my stuff (it was raining a lot when I went to Japan).

Very basic small room with a bed, two wall-mounted TV's (one for each occupant), a desk, a chair, a small ref and a small cabinet. I think it would have been much better if the chair just had a back rest. The pillow was also hard but I think it's because it's a Japanese pillow. It didn't affect my sleep though because I was always tired at the end of the day. There's also wi-fi so I can use my iPhone and load maps there (free wi-fi in Japan is really rare).

While the bathrooms and toilets are communal, I didn't have to line up or wait to use them. Although the toilet seats weren't heated, I guess you get what you pay for.

There's also a common kitchen and common area. There's always free coffee, water and tea. Distilled water is pretty expensive in Japan so I just bring my container and refill it at the hotel. There's also a small supermarket across the street (it's inconspicuous though) so you can buy something there and cook food at the hotel. Also, whenever I feel too cramped inside my room, I'd just go downstairs and surf the internet there.

Location-wise, I think it's really reasonable for its price. Just a few-minute walk from Minamisenju station (three stations away from the Yamanote Line via JR Joban Line). Convenient, in fairness. There's a footbridge that you have to cross but there's a ramp and an elevator so heavy luggage won't be a problem. Asakusa is very near, (two train lines away via Tokyo Metro). Harajuku and Shibuya goes a bit farther but it's also just two train lines away via Tokyo Metro.

Staff were also really friendly and they speak pretty good English.

Overall, it's very clean, pretty much comfortable and excellent for a budget traveler. They pretty much had everything I needed during my two-night stay (although that's coming from me who's used to budget travel). I will definitely come back.

Date of stay: March 2012
3  Thank moonlight_xing
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Palace Japan t is perfect place to stay if looking for afforable accomadations right next to public transport .
I was very happy with my time at the hotel: my room and the hotel were very clean and well maintained. I never had a problem with noise issues and people staying at the hotel were very courteous.
. There was a community kitchen and computers and free wi-fi.
I definately would stay again and would not hesistate recommending it to others.

Date of stay: January 2012