“Amazing hostel in the heart of tokyo!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Khaosan Tokyo Kabuki

Khaosan Tokyo Kabuki
Ranked #4 of 57 Specialty lodging in Taito
Brisbane, Australia
“Amazing hostel in the heart of tokyo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Had an amazing experience at this hostel! The staff are amazing and helpful, and the rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The kitchen.facilities are fantastic, heaps of room to cook and store your food.
The location is awesome, close to Kaminarimon and markets, as well as many restauraunts and a 24 hour supermarket. Also close to Skytree and many other great sights! We are going back in 2014! Love this place!

• Stayed August 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for just one night, having stayed at another Khaosan hostel in a previous trip to Tokyo. I must say I found this one to be even nicer! Right in the heart of Asakusa, it's a great spot to explore old Tokyo, with plenty of things to see, do, and eat. It's also right next to the major Asakusa stations, making it a great base to go anywhere in Tokyo. We actually did a day trip to Nikko that day, but were able to store our bags and freshen up before departing for the day. They had a great common room downstairs with a small kitchen, computers, couches, vending machines, etc . . and it was all really clean and really well decorated. When we arrived back that evening we were told that even though we had booked a 4-bed dorm we were given a free upgrade to a private Tatami room for the night! This was awesome but also super unlucky as during the day we ended up having to change our flight to a redeye leaving that night! Since we still had an hour or two until we had to leave, we were still able to check into the room and use the private bathroom and enjoy it a little bit, and it was such a cool room (and super clean)! It was our last night in Japan and also the very last night of a 2.5 year excursion abroad, so it would have been such a special way to end the trip! Even so, we were very impressed by the hostel, the staff, and the amenities. For Tokyo, this place is excellent value. All of the Khaosan hostels seem to be really nice but I would have to put this one above the rest!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KrisLizzy03
Cyberjaya, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed in 4-person private room with 3 other friends. Our flight from Kuala Lumpur reaches at 11.00pm and after long queue at immigration and luggage pickup, we opt for last Keikyu train at 12.02am from Haneda to Shinagawa and transfer to Ueno via JR Yamanote line. From Ueno, its just a taxi ride away.

Kana and the staffs have been a good sport in entertaining a lot of my requests and queries (its hard organizing a group of indecisive fellow travel mates). Kudos and big arigatou to them. Love you gals.

Let's start with my favorite part, the toilet. Okay, maybe not the highlight. I've been to a few Japanese hotels (not hostels) in the past and shower room has always been on a smallish side. I'm glad that the shower room is not in a form of super tiny bath tub, but instead its a nice shower room with complimentary, big tubs of shower gel and conditioner (which I think is actually shampoo) and two rows of empty space for our own toiletries. Towels can be rented (at 300 yen I think) but please bring your own. Only down side is the towel hanger is placed at the vanity area, which is just outside the shower room. But that is just tiny weeny hiccups, no biggie.

I know its just a bunkbed, but love the sleeping experience. The padded blanket is so oh-so-comfy, its hard to part ways in the morning. Each bunk comes with pull-up switch light and plug socket just underneath the light, perfect for phone charging.

The lounge area is a perfect place to meet fellow travelers, surfing the internet and the walls (and some laminated papers) are filled with localized and personalized information from Khaosan staff which I HIGHLY recommend everyone who's coming here to browse instead of the typical Lonely Planet guidebook (ugh!). Found a lot of useful information from Tsukiji tour timetable, Asakusa hidden gems, FREE tour visit for A-Round tour (perfect for art and design enthusiasts like me).

Lets move on to the VERY LOVELY PART of this hostel, the LOCATION. I LOVE ASAKUSA. Period. I wouldn't trade it to the crowded, overrated Shinjuku or poshy Roppongi. If you've been to Seoul, its almost the equivalent of Bukchon, which is a traditional area of Asakusa. The hostel is just a few hops away from the main Kaminarimon gate, which is the landmark of Sensoji Temple. Although the gate can be crowded with fellow tourists (which mostly locals), it is never difficult to walk back and forth to the hostel.

My first day in Asakusa is during the last day of Sanja Matsuri festival. Lovely introduction to the cultural side of Asakusa and Japan. Thanks to the strategic location, my friends and I sprung up the bed early at 6am to see the action, just a walk away from the hostel! Plenty of locals gather around (young and old) on this very day, where portable shrines are passed around the city like a parade. What a sight indeed.

There are PLENTY of stuff to do in Asakusa besides temple visit. Rent yourself a bike nearby at small price of 200 yen per day and feel free to get 'lost' in Asakusa. Imado-jinja (maneki neko shrine), Japanese airwave perm at ROX shopping, ate Tokyo snacks Monjayaki, Calaugh the cat cafe...ahhh...all done in Asakusa..its a lot more than just a place to buy souvenirs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank rozerozeroze
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Our stay in Khaosan was very enjoyable! The staff were friendly and always willing to give advice. Possibly the best part about this hostel is the location- in the middle of Asakusa, a short walk from the Sensoji Temple and markets, with many small local restaurant options nearby. Nice clean bathrooms (albeit quite small, but you get used to this in Japan) clean rooms with tatami floor and charming decorations. My time here was some of the favourite from my trip, and I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here in a family room for 3 nights. Staff were friendly, helpful and very enthusiastic. Room and hostel clean. Free wifi, kitchen, tea/coffee, etc. Excellent central location close to lots of things to do. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MojoFamily17
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

During my 3 week trip to Japan I've stayed at four different hotels in the Khaosan Group, Three in Tokyo and one in Kyoto.

The Kabuki has a great location near transport hub Asakusa, Senso-ji temple, Sumo museum, shops, restaurants and you name it. The facilities are quite modern and spacious. Staff was very friendly, joyful and helped me with my questions.

All the Khaosans I've stayed at are worth a rating of 4-5, this one a Little closer 5 than 4. As compared to other hostels of course.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bengt H
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed at Khaosan Tokyo Kabuki for 3 nights. Hostel is very clean. Staff are very kind.
The location is excellent, just near the Sensoji Temple which we had to walk pass every time. And our first night of stay, they invite us to join "Hanami Party" for free dinner.
I would definitely come back to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family