“small but excellent”

Ranked #29 of 65 Specialty lodging in Taito
Ludenscheid, Germany
“small but excellent”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

i like almost everything about this place. well, the rooms are incredibly small. but this place is stylish, yet friendly. clean and very well taken care of. the owner as well as the two girls who work here are very friendly, professional and kind.
i highly recommend kangaroo hotel, especially to everyone with a sense for good design and friendly easy going atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Désirée F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 7, 2011

A very cool building in a less busy area of Tokyo (but still only a few train stops away from where the action begins). Somehow they've manage to make the exposed concrete exterior and interior cool and cozy. It's certainly very clean and fresh. The room I had first reminded me of a jail cell without the bars because of the concrete walls and the hilarious size but again, within a second I was grinning and appreciating the concept. The bed was comfy, the fridge and aircon worked fine and the wood floors were polished and dusted to a smooth shine. Shared washrooms were well-kept, too. Microwave provided.

Employees were both very young and friendly and we managed fine with the English-Japanese dialogue. The reception area has a cool lounge with sofas and internet stations. Umbrellas and slippers were provided.

There's a grocery outside of the nearby train station that's perfect for picking up late night snacks and food for breakfast the next morning.

Would definitely stay here if I were to visit Tokyo again.

Room Tip: I had the corner room at the end of the hall. Probably the quietest, IMO.
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank TreeNSquirrel
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We had a beautiful stay here in Kangaroo hotel, from the warm reception to the owners' flexibility in our many requests. We were at first worried about finding the place as it a 10-15 min walk from the station, but the map provided on the website was very clear and led us to the hotel in no time at all. The rooms were small but very clean, and that extends to the whole hotel. I loved the bath, modern yet in a traditional Japanese style. Yumio-san, the owner of the hotel, was extremely helpful to us, not only about requests pertaining to the use of our rooms or any information we sought, but he and his wife also helped us to check the ingredients of the food we bought (due to our special diets) as well as even helping us to arrange our baggage courier from the hotel to Kyoto during one of our short trips out of Tokyo. He was also very flexible in our booking requests, where we were away for a few days visiting other parts of Japan and then returning to Kangaroo hotel in Tokyo. We had some of our best nights' sleep in Kangaroo hotel too, much of a surprise to us when we first considered the size of the room. Also more importantly than the restful sleep we had, it was a breeze traveling around Tokyo from Kangaroo hotel, as it is nearby the well-connected Hibiya Line, and we even got to experience a slice of peaceful residential Tokyo on the way to the station. Overall, it was a hassle free and blissful experience for two inexperienced travelers visiting Japan for the first time. We fell in love Kangaroo Hotel and would definitely come back there again when in Tokyo!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank MasHime
Manila
Reviewed May 15, 2011

There is little I can say that hasn't already been said. Simply put, the Kangaroo hotel is one of the best value for money options in Tokyo!

A couple of things that may be useful for people looking to stay here:

There are a couple of convenience stores nearby, as well as a supermarket and some restaurants. There's also the odd clothing shop here and there, if ever you need stuff like underwear, socks, gloves etc.

Walking to the hotel from the subway can be a bit of a chore, especially if you're not used to walking long distances. You'll have to climb up an over pass after exiting the subway and then it's maybe a 10 minute walk to the hotel. It's not a ridiculously long walk, but something to consider.

If we do go back to Tokyo I'll probably want to stay near the shinjuku area since that's the part that we missed, but if you want to go to Akihabara, Ginza, The Imperial Palace and Tsujiki Fish Market (via subway), the kangaroo hotel an excellent choice!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ryansumo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Having lived in Tokyo for four years I know a fair bit about the accomodation options and was surprised by how good Kangaroo Hotel was. This is basically the cheapest option for a bed in Tokyo, even a private room for a solo traveller. The area is not exactly lively and it's convenient for Asakusa and Akihabara (and Narita airport on the economical Keisei line) but not for Shinjuku and Shibuya. Deffinitely worth staying here a couple of days and checking out the locals sites, I'd then recommend moving over near Shibuya for a couple of days. I'm actually now staying in Shin Okubo next to Shinjuku and just cancelled a second stay at Kangaroo due to the location. In terms of the hotel itself, the rooms are cute and prison cell basic, but I liked that! Wired free internet in every room, clean odour-free shared showers and toilets and push bike rental. Their website gives an honest and representative explanation of what you are getting.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I thought like other reviewers I would be stuck in the middle of nowhere, too far from all the things I wanted to see an do, and particularly that I would miss out on a Tokyo experience. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

At the Kangaroo you get way more of a Tokyo experience than you would at some large, overpriced hotel in Shibuya or Shinjuku, plus you get to interact with other guests and the cool staff. Spekaing of, the staff were amazing, from helping me with my bags (oh yeah, don't overpack, people are right about that walk from the subway being about 7-10 minutes, but with luggage it felt like 30) to writing out maps for me to find things like the local bar (Cafe Tepui, see my review for this awesome place) and onsen, to just making me green tea one chilly night. They keep the place ridiculously clean, every day the whole place gets a complete cleaning (post jet lag vacuum wake up calls aren't great but then again why sleep in when you have that much to see) and I never found anything out of place or messy when I was there.

It's not a traditional hotel in that the bathrooms are shared but trust me, for the price you will pay (I literally paid $39 USD each night) you won't care about having to walk down the cool hallway to get to the water closet and modern sinks. They even have a Japanese bathtub in it's own room. I recommend after walking around for miles each day taking a hot (and it gets really hot) bath. Bring a robe or buy a cheap one though the showers and the bath are all on the first floor and there is a towel fee of about 200 yen (about $2 USD at the time of my stay), but the towels won't be large enough to cover a gaijin body (look that word up before you go). Same goes for slippers, they barely fit my female feet I think Western men will have a hard time. I ended up getting my own cool printed pair at a 100 yen shop. You are required to remove your shoes at the Kangaroo.

The subway station closest to the hotel is Minami-Senju and it houses the 20th stop on the Hibiya line and the JR Joban Line also stops there. The Hibiya will take to pretty much anywhere with major stops directly on it like Ebisu and Roppongi (be warned though to get back at night from Roppongi take the 11:15 p.m train) There is a Pasmo kiosk where you can check your transit card balance before trips, but I recommend buying one at Narita. The Limited Express to Ueno was the route I took to get to the Kangaroo, it's cheap but not the fastest, be prepared for an hour long trip all said and done. Print a map off before you go, you will need it.

There will be other hotels nearby that have cheaper per night fees, DO NOT be tempted by their price tag. You get what you pay for. I visited a friend's room at a nearby hotel I won't name, but the place was a dump and he was only saving 300 yen a night. For the extra 300 yen I was glad to have my room with a window, INDIVIDUAL heater/AC (which works like a dream), mini fridge, and TV. Plus their bathrooms were deplorable and did not include Western style toilets like the Kangaroo.

Did I mention the free internet in each room too?! That was worth the 300 alone. Don't bother bringing a laptop like I did, the two Macs in the lobby were always free when I was there, occasionally one may be busy, but I never saw both taken. And they are fast and easily convertible to which ever language is your native tongue. Also they have free shampoo, conditioner and body wash for you to use too, you don't even need yours. Laundry detergent for the laundry room (100 yen wash and 120 yen dry). I even saw the staff had folded one guest's laundry for them and had it waiting for them when they returned.

Around the Kanagroo, there is an onsen if you wanna try that. They accept foreigners, but read up on etiquette prior to going. There is the best unagi restaurant in Tokyo (seriously, look up Obana and see said reviews) There are ramen shops, even a cool sushi fast food place, along with about 12 sushi restaurants just on the walk from the train station. Like I mentioned, the staff can help you find places. But don't worry about finding food here on your own, just walk around, look at the plastic displays and corresponding price tags and you will be fine. I shopped at the grocery markets nearby too for breakfast items and quick dinners. Don't go to Shinadaya (I may be off on that name by a letter but the sign is in English) there is a MUCH better grocery store near the station called Azabu (again I could be wrong, but you will find it if you exit the JR platform) it was cleaner, more new, and surprisingly cheaper. I got some great soba noodles there, plus with the fridge in your room you can store leftovers and things like cartons of delicious coffee mixed with milk for the morning. There's microwaves on each floor to heat things up.

Also, don't buy an umbrella (unless you want one, the clear plastic ones are so Japanese cool) the hotel has a cool modern umbrella stand in the lobby and will let you borrow ones people have left behind. If you do buy one, there is a little news stand under the foot bridge at Minami-Senju that sells them for 400 yen. Also extra socks or gloves can be picked up for 100 yen at stores on the main street in Arakawa (that is the ward name, NOT Minami-Senju, but Tokyoites will understand both)

Personal warning: there is a police station (marked with Koban of course) located on the walk from the subway, I learned Japanese policemen can be pretty different. One night I was asked for my passport (HAVE IT ON YOU AT ALL TIMES, you can be held at a police station, any of them, for simply not having it) for no reason, he just wanted to look at it. So, maybe it was because I was alone and female and Western...but maybe if you fit that same description you may have the same thing happen. If you smoke on the street, this will definitely happen to you, along with a 2000 yen ticket. Find a bar, cafe, restaurant, everyone smokes there. Kangaroo is non-smoking...the whole thing. You may smoke outdoors, but you must bring your litter in with you.

Also, yes there are some homeless in this neighborhood, but they DO NOT beg and usually smiled (typically toothless grins) at me whenever I walked by, but they, like all Japanese, will not engage in eye contact and I never once felt unsafe, even when I was alone, at night, hauling my luggage through the streets, holding a map, which in any other city would have just been "easy pickings."

Conclusion: Stay at Kangaroo, even if for a few nights, you won't regret it, and the place will make your Tokyo trip a great one.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
6 Thank SF2MOGirl83
mangilao
Reviewed January 24, 2011

The hotel location at first posed a problem for us. i thought it would take forever to get to the hotspots in roppongi, shibuya, and shinjuku. However i was wrong! the JR Joban line connects to the Yamanote line and from there you can go pretty much anywhere. Plus the Tokyo metro HIBIYA subway line connects to ueno, akihabara, and roppongi fairly quick. The hotel is CLEAN, friendly staff, modern design. quite small for a twin room, so i'd recommend 1 luggage per person, but it is manageable. after all we weren't spending all day there! overall it is a GREAT home base for your tokyo exploration!

To get there, take the Keisei Limited Express(1000 yen), or the more expensive Keisei Skyliner option (2200), at Narita airport to Nippori station. get off to transfer lines. exchange your ticket for a JR Joban line ticket (not too expensive) and find the platform to Minami-Senju (platform 4, though you can ask the personnel if you aren't sure). its just two stops away. from minami-senju, go past the ticket gates and head to out to the streets. basically, head left and you will come to a foot bridge over the rail tracks. if you keep right, you will eventually pass 7-11 and police koban. i advise printing out an english map from their website, but if you can read hiragana, take a right hotel hoteiya, then take the first turn left. Kangaroo hotel is on the right side.

remember that most train lines close around midnight, so if you are out partying out in shibuya or roppongi, remember to make time (45 mins minimum) for the train and possible train transfers...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank guambomb85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Tokyo Hutte
Aizuya Inn
#5 of 65 in Taito
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Grids Akihabara Hotel Plus Hostel

Been to Kangaroo hotel? Share your experiences!