“Festival time!”

162 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 241 helpful votes
“Festival time!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was lucky enough to be staying in Asakusa in early June, when there was a festival at Torigoe Shrine. There were celebrations at the shrine and surrounding streets. On the Sunday morning many smaller portable shrines and drums were carried around the neighbourhood by local people dressed in traditional costume. Many buildings were decorated with paper lanterns and flowers, so the atmosphere was very festive and colourful. In the shrine itself, there were musicians playing traditional instruments.

Although I visited larger, grander and more notable shrines while I was in Japan, I felt this festival gave me a real insight into the significance of religion to many Japanese people.

Visited June 2013