“Real Traditional Japanese Foods (Only in Japan??)”

Komagata Dozeu Asakusa Honten
Reserve a Table
Ranked #10 of 5,656 Restaurants in Taito
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ueno, Asakusa
Reviewed October 10, 2018

Learned this restaurant from a popular Malaysian youtuber Ryuuu TV (studied and staying in Japan, now married a Japanese wife). Hesitated to try but still proceed with our food adventure after discussing with my family. No regret after that, the restaurant setting in two formats, Japanese and normal table-chair settings. English menu with pictures is provided. The experience was fantastic and the foods are great. A bit pricey but worth it.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed September 14, 2018

I rented a sushi-wifi rental WIFI service and introduced this shop. It was taught that it is a wonderful building that feels the history of Japan. I ate a loach for the first time when I made a reservation. It was very tasty. However, since the posture to eat was "SEIZA", it was very painful. I thought it would be nice to go as a traditional Japanese style once.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Mike08081978
Reviewed August 3, 2018

Been there first in 2001, then in 2018. Nothing had hanged in-between. In fact, I suspect nothing has changed in the 200-year old existence of this very traditional restaurant located in the hearth of Asakusa! Prefer the Japanese-style room, as this will give you a good idea of what a traditional Japanese restaurant is. Be prepared to sit cross-legged, though. Food-wise, loach is the mainstay here, prepared (by you) in a hotpot. Not bad really, but the setting and atmosphere of this restaurant is what you will remember.

Date of visit: July 2018
1  Thank Juris82
Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

My brother and I came in pretty late, like 8:15pm, and the greeter told us there was no more western seating which we were so excited to not have! We sat on the floor in traditional style and asked what they recommend. We ended up with our own hibachi and a hot pot style cooking of mini eels. They were delish and the whole experience is one I’ll never forget!

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed March 10, 2018

Delicious whale and eel hotpots, the grilled eel was also excellent. Traditional japanese seating with a casual and communal setting.

Date of visit: August 2017