“we had a different experience than what I see here...”
Review of Hotel Yanagibashi

Hotel Yanagibashi
Ranked #38 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Chris Sandeman
“we had a different experience than what I see here...”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We were two people in a twin...and I sort of had to wonder if the twins were actually singles with two beds in them. You needed to crawl over one bed to get to the other...sort of wish they hadn't bothered with any furniture other than the beds, but I fuss they need them to get their star rating. I'm tall, but certainly couldn't stand up straight in a large amount of the space. The place was certainly clean, so no issues there (the sheets did have some stains, but they were clean...)

I hate to say it, but the super nice guy at checkin was also a bit of a bummer. My friend was sick and needed some advice for stomach medicine...not any help to be found from reception on an all night pharmacy...nor for bar or restaurant recommendations in the area, as he wasn't from around there, he basically didn't know anything about where to go. That was a real bummer, despite the guy being so nice and speaking basically PERFECT English.

I was jet lagged and up late. At 1:30am they lock the common space which I thought was sort of lame as well.

So, we checked out a day early. They kindly gave us one nights money back (minus deposit, which went to Hostelworld.com), and moved to a hotel which my sick friend would be more comfortable and where we could actually both fit in the room.

For a budget place? Acceptable...

But even a hostel has someone who knows where to get a drink or food late at night. And a late night pharmacy should be a must-known for all staff...

Room Tip: maybe stay here as a solo traveller or a couple, but not set up for buddies travelling together.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Chris_Sandeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I didn't know what to expect when booking my stay at this budget business hotel in Tokyo. But I'm so glad I did! The hotel is located near Asakusabashi station (JR and subway). I chose this place because of the location. It is near Akihabara station which is on the central Yamanote line. I wanted a base in Tokyo while I traveled to other parts of Japan without lugging my huge suitcase around. This hotel was perfect! The staff all speak English which can be very helpful to the western traveler. They were very friendly and accommodating. Ikeda-san is absolutely awesome!! ...It is NOT a luxury hotel or anything close to it. It is however, clean, reasonably priced and in a good location. I will stay there again the next time I visit Tokyo.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jplala
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here for six nights and all I can say is that we had a great experience. The staff spoke English very well and treated us equally well. I would recommend this hotel for anyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kymry B
United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2012

A pretty basic hotel but for the price you pay it represents good value for money.
The rooms are comfortable and clean, the front desk staff were all extremely pleasent and helpful, providing maps and information on request.
The hostel is located in a side street, but, it is only a 2 min walk to the subway which can take you all over the city.
There is free internet downstairs as well as a drinks vending machine and a visitor kitchen.

I would definitely recommend this to any traveller's travelling to Tokyo on a budget.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Jonny627
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We chose the small, family-owned Hotel Yanagibashi over another, more corporate establishment because the reviews said the staff spoke excellent English. Not only was that the case, but the clerk helped us on multiple occasions to make restaurant reservations, purchase event tickets and give directions.

The rooms are typical for Tokyo - which is to say quite small by Western standards - but very clean. We arrived in the dead of winter for New Year's and appreciated that the room's heating unit was able to raise the temperature very quickly.

Hardly a block from a post office (convenient place to get cash) and a subway / elevated train station, it was easy to get other neighborhoods, making it an ideal place for budget travelers to stay.

The only real downside is that it's in a slightly sleepy, working-class neighborhood, so if you plan on staying out partying after the trains stop running at midnight, you might want a place in closer stumbling distance to the nightlife districts.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emil H
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 9, 2011

The best thing with this hotel is the price. If you don't mind staying in a very small room with an incredible small bathroom this hotel is a good option.

The location is OK. There was nothing of interest nearby the hotel but the area felt safe and the metro station is just a few minutes away.

This is a budget hotel but the rooms are clean and the service is good.

The price during the stay was about ¥ 6000 per night.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Sweden99
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Stayed here Sept 29 through Oct 8, 2011. We booked this hotel based on the great reviews here on TripAdvisor and the low rates (relative to the rest of Tokyo, of course). Of course the room was very small, but that is expected in all but the most expensive rooms in Tokyo. It may have been a little cramped, but we were only in the room long enough to sleep and shower anyway. The beds were very comfortable and the air conditioning worked well. I would definitely not recommend that two average adults attempt to share a bed, though. The room was very clean with a refrigerator, hair dryer, tea pot, alarm clock and Japanese-only TV. The hotel provided slippers, pajamas, shampoo, and shower gel. We never used a wake-up call, but according to the information found in the room, they have an automated wake-up call system. We never had any problem with noise from other rooms or the street. Even though our room was on the back side of the building, I can't imagine street noise would be a problem even on the front side because the hotel faces a small street with very little traffic.

As mentioned multiple times, everyone at the hotel is extremely friendly and spoke English well. There are drink vending machines and a rack full of information/maps/brochures on ground level near the lobby. The only problem we had was with the internet. The wired connection in the room worked only sporadically. The computers maintained by the hotel worked a little better, but still not great. We were so busy though, we didn't really miss having the internet all that much.

As for location, the proximity to both a subway and JR station were excellent. The subway station is only about 1 1/2 blocks away and the JR station only about 2 blocks away. From there it is very easy to get anywhere. Akihabara (and the extremely useful JR Yamanote line) is only 1 stop away. And Asakusa is only 2 stops. Also, depending on exactly which Keisei train you happen to board at Narita, you may not even need to transfer to get to the hotel from the airport (and if you do, it is just one transfer without even the need to change platforms). The directions found on the hotel's English website were extremely useful for getting there (though plenty of research on the subway and train lines is highly recommended). The area does not seem to be a very "touristy" area. There are plenty of convenience stores (including a 7-11 where you can use foreign debit cards at the ATM) nearby and lots of local restaurants (and one Burger King). It seems to be a popular area during the week with locals after work, but on the weekend a lot of businesses seemed to be closed. But with Tokyo's amazing public transportation system, as long as you are near a station, anywhere in Tokyo would be a good location.

If I ever get the opportunity to return to Tokyo (and I really hope I do, it is an amazing city), I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank swacer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Stayto
Agora Place Asakusa
#23 of 120 in Taito
Shinjuku
Shinjuku Washington Hotel Main

Been to Hotel Yanagibashi? Share your experiences!