“Great little budget option in Tokyo”
Review of Hotel Yanagibashi

Hotel Yanagibashi
Ranked #40 of 123 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed here for six nights in September 2011. As stated by just about every other reviewer, the rooms are small, but if you've been to the Far East before, you should expect this as a matter of course, and for the value of this place (Tokyo is an expensive place to stay) you really can't grumble! Despite the sizes, they come with a full set of amenities (including free internet/wi-fi), and are kept very clean. The bathroom is a self compact unit in itself, and I did find it a bit cramped, but as long as you're under 6'4 this wont be an issue so much! As also mentioned by plenty of others, the owners are very friendly, and do speak good English.

The hotel is only five minutes away from the subway and JR line stations. It is relatively easy to get from the station to the hotel, but take a map the first time round, as due to the sheer size of Tokyo you're likely to lose your bearings very lost! There are plenty of local resturants and seven-eleven's in the area for a quick cheap bite to eat, and the electronics district of Akihibara is only a stop away.

The only issue I did have is that the walls are paper thin. Although the hotel is located down a side street where the noise and traffic from outside wont be an issue, I was woken in the middle of the night by a guy from San Francisco in the room next door making a business conference call (I knew all this as I could hear every other word). I would recommend taking a set of earplugs, in case the guests next door to you are a bit noisy (or like to make conference calls in the middle of the night). However this was just for one night out of six, otherwise I didn't hear a thing.

If you can't quite afford to splurge on a penthouse suite in Shinjuku and the like, this is probably your next best option!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank 99_redball00ns

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I moved here (me paying) from a swankier hotel (company paying) - it was a third of the price. Nice change of scene to something a bit more authentic Tokyo. Good location too. As others have remarked, lovely friendly helpful people running it - a little eccentric but in a good way. What's not to love? I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Luppitt
Reviewed June 29, 2011

as we known, you have no need to worry about the sanity of Japanase public facilities, and so does for this hotel.

The room is small, but it's very clean and has everything you may need. like aircon, tv, hairdryer, hot water for making tea/coffee, water heater, bathing stuff, japanese style pajama, alarm, and others little-but-useeful things.

The staff are also very friendly and responsible. They speak english very well, they are very kind, they helped me to catch my express train, they even gave me some souvenirs when i got back! i talked a lot with Ikeda-san (the manager) and Tomoko-san (daughter's owner)

The station near this hotel is Asakusa-bashi, and from there you can catch the train to other big station.

I promise you'll never regret to stay at this hotel, the service you got is more valuable than the money you paid off. At least, this hotel works for me.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank astriprimasari
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This hotel has the best customer service I have ever experienced in my life. The rooms might be small, but the they are very inviting and clean. They provide all sorts of amenities like internet, a tea maker in the room, TV, tooth brush, tooth paste, robe, and a lot more. I left a bottle of water out when I left the one day, and returned to find a jug of water had been left for me. They provided an umbrella for me when it was raining, and when the wind blew so hard it broke the umbrella, they did not charge me to replace it.

The family that runs this hotel is very nice and very considerate. I went to ask if there were any places to find tickets to a sold out show, and the receptionist (the owner's daughter) went above and beyond trying to look for tickets and events related to the show that I could go to. We then talked a bit and she offered me a drink, and then later I was invited out to see a show with them.

They really go above any beyond what is necessary, and for the price you can't beat it.

The location is also amazing. You can step out onto the steps instead of the elevator and you have a spectacular view of the river and several river boats. When you leave the hotel, the rail system is only a block away, and there is a Pharmacy on the corner. There are neat little places you can walk to and see as well, such as a small shrine down an alley.

Anyone who gave this hotel less than 5 stars must have been grumpy or an anti-social. This is a family run hotel, and they treat you like family while you're here.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank um0k1e
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I stayed just down the road last time I went to Tokyo, and the location is good.

The air con in the room only worked so-so, and Tokyo was very hot!

Staff were very nice. Old place, but its very typical of small cheap (Japan cheap) Japanese hotels. It did the trick.

I would perhaps look for something better, if your budget isn't too much of an issue - but at this level this place is exactly what you should expect of all other places this price.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank JetSet-Q
Reviewed December 14, 2010

As to be expected in a budget hotel in Tokyo the room was small but everything was super clean and the service outstanding. Though they have an internet station on the 1F, they provide a cord to connect in your room if you have a laptop. Very cozy and surprisingly quiet. Just a block away from the subway and two blocks from the train. One stop from the Yamanote Line station of Akihabara.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oregonfrost
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I went to Japan three separate times this summer, staying previoulsy in the Grand Prince Hotel (4*) in Shinagawa. I enjoyed Hotel Yanahibashi so much better! It was a great place to stay. From the second I came in, I started speaking with the owner and her daughter, Tomoko, and we had a wonderful time chatting. They were so kind and friendly. Fujimoto Takaaki, another employee, also was great about recommending places to hang out. The owner also walked me 5 blocks away to a tempura restaurant! I plan to go back to Tokyo fairly often, and I know now where I will be staying!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends