I stayed in three hostels (two, including this one, were capsules) in Tokyo. This was the cheapest. All three dorms were cramped and quite dated.
This one was BY FAR the cheapest. If you need a base in Tokyo for an extended period, and you're flexible to this place's peculiarities, it doesn't get better than this.
1) The capsules here open up horizontally, which is WAY better than traditional capsules. Much more roomy.
2) Capsule rooms are cold - aircon is strong. The other capsule hostel I stayed at was room temperature and became unbearably hot because body heat in a capsule dissipates slowly. The aircon here was a godsend.
3) The hallways and bathrooms and few small common areas here, like in the other two hostels I stayed at, were very very dated - as in circa 1960's. BUT, the one modern male shower stall is modern and works really well. great hot water. The many sink fixtures and toilets are ancient but work well.
4) Staff barely speak English if at all, and are definitely not laid-back youngsters like in most hostels. It's mostly an older family and they're quite strict with their rules - though as a veteran hosteler, the rules are VERY reasonable. They are not at all helpful with anything due to the language barrier however, but you should be able to google anything you need and there's a gov tourist info office just around the corner.
5) Location is AMAZING - the subway entrance is like two doors down - and the station is an interchange station on two lines so that's very convenient for Tokyo (if you can afford it though, I recommend finding a place near an interchange station on three or more lines - ideally including the Yamanote JR train line, that would be even more convenient!).
6) The sheets and towels are absolutely SPOTLESS! They change them everynight - extremely bleached white and starchy!
Overall, if you're laid back and independent, this hostel has by far the cheapest capsules in town. Highly recommended.
Lastly, the common room is fun - American TV, free green tea, it's quite a social common room so quite easy to meet people - though the place overall is not that big so not TOO many other travellers.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Rakuten, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Kawase reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Kawase Tokyo, Japan