“Great social environment!”
Review of K's House Tokyo

K's House Tokyo
Ranked #4 of 69 Specialty lodging in Taito
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I slept in the 5-bed female dorm for 4 nights. Some points to note about this hostel are:
- close to Kuramae station
- walking distance to Asakusa's tourist attractions
- clean
- helpful staff
- good size common area
- wifi was not detected in the 4th floor female dorm
- there's an elevator!

One thing that absolutely stand out is that this hostel provided more freebies than any hostel I've ever stayed at. In the 5 days that I was there, I've had FREE shaved ice and FREE drinks on two different occasion, and I was not even in the hostel that often! The common area is a great place to socialize.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Recently stayed here with my sister while visiting Tokyo. I have to say the staff were incredibly helpful. They can help you with reservations for future travels, assistance with directions to different sights, and always with a friendly smile. This place is very clean. Each day the rooms are thoroughly cleaned, as are the common areas, including even the windows being cleaned every day. The attention to detail while cleaning was much appreciated especially after staying at other far less clean hostels.

They also have a great common area/kitchen right as you walk in the door, which was always filled with people, so it was a great place to meet people or to stay up until the wee hours drinking and chatting with other travelers. A 24 hour 7-11 (great for those late night Strong runs, ha) is just across the street. You have to be quite if standing outside the property at night as neighbors will yell at you if you are talking too loudly.

Place felt very safe and I never even considered using a locker to lock my valuables (Tokyo in general felt very safe to me though).

Downsides would be: not much storage in the rooms for backpacks (no lockers in rooms as some places have), so bags are all over the place. A shelf or some sort of storage solution would be nice. And also you have to pay if you want to use the internet at their computer station (though their wifi is free and works well throughout the building). My sister also experienced fluctuation in the water temperature during each of her showers, but I did not, though once I couldn't get the water warmer than lukewarm (which was fine b/c it was quite hot when we were in Tokyo).

Room Tip: We booked an "8 bed female dorm" which ended up being only 5 beds, so if you prefer fewer...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I'm pretty torn writing up this review because this was the first place I stayed at when I went to Japan. On one hand, when I arrived, the staff was great, very welcoming, and the place was bustling with people. On the other, the 4 bedroom (bunk bed) I stayed in wasn't that great and the place was pretty compact. Also, maybe because it was my first time visiting, but I spent a great deal of time trying to find the place (granted, after I found it once, coming back a second time wasn't a problem). The place is located next to a 7-Eleven so you can buy all your personal needs there. The thing that really sucks though is you need to pay for a 30 minute Internet!

Overall, for the budget, I would recommend this place but not sure if I will go back a second time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2012

As a student your budget is always limited. So I opted to stay in K's House Tokyo. I didn't regret it, not for even a second. This is the first hostel I ever stayed, and I was kind of wondering if I would like staying at a hostel in the first place. But I liked it from the first minute. The rooms were clean, showers were clean as well, laundry facilities were good, WIFI, and very friendly English speaking staff. Furthermore, Asakusa is just around the corner and it's a lovely place to go to. When I'm returning to Tokyo (or Japan in general) I would go back to K's House. Of course there are some minor points: mattresses are rather thin (but you get used to it quickly), there's not much space to put your backpack/suitcase. But then again, these are just minor issues.

To sum it up: if you're on a tight budget and are looking for the best value for every euro/dollar you have, go K's House!

Room Tip: If you want a single room, book early. On the other hand, dorm rooms are fine as well and save you a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed here on a solo trip in Feb. 2012. Since I was alone, I thought it would be good to stay somewhere where there were other travelers to socialize with. Plus it was only $50 per night. I had the only private room in the hostel. I am 56, so I was much older than most of the people there. I ended up not hanging out in the common room, but going up to my little hole to read. I am not complaining though. I just felt a little out of place.

There are sheets folded on the bed, and you make it yourself. They tidied up my room every day. The bathroom was down the hall (Womens and Mens). They had a little kitchen where you could put your stuff in a bag in the fridge with your name on it. A 7-11 was just down the street, which was a good place to get yogurt or other munchies, and also use the ATM. K's House was conveniently located between two different subway line stops, and very close to each.

My only bad time there was late one night when I felt sick, and had to throw up into a bag in my room, and then go into the communal bathroom to empty it out! TMI, I know. But I was really wishing I had my own bathroom at that particular time!!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank JoanMarietta_GA
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here a couple of years ago for a couple of nights.
Really good location, friendly staff and clean, safe surroundings.

Kitchen/Social area was really good for meeting other travelers and having a laugh. The free tea and coffee facilities were welcome.

Room Tip: Check out the Visitor Book for some amusing comments.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarcCass
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Comfortable stay, clean bed, showers and toilets. The bathrooms were cleaned each day. Very impressed with cleanliness.

A fairly small common area and small kitchen, but there never seemed to be a problem finding space to sit or when wanting to cook.

The location is OK - it's located in the North East. Most of where we went each day was in the South West of the Tokyo - which meant subway-ing lots.

I would stay here again if I wanted to do more around Asakusa, but would probably look for something a little closer to Harajuku or Shibuya next time.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Oak Hostel Zen
Khaosan World Asakusa Ryokan & Hostel
K's House Tokyo Oasis
K's House Tokyo Oasis
#12 of 69 in Taito

Been to K's House Tokyo? Share your experiences!