“Poor front desk service”

Sutton Place Hotel Ueno
Ranked #39 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Asia
“Poor front desk service”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Was greeted with an unfriendly old man who was at the front desk. His English is pretty much rude and hurting. He was very blunt and not smile on his face. We felt like we were entering a hunted hotel similar to those ghost movies. Our stay would be prefect without him attending to us. We particularly skip free light breakfast to avoid seeing him!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank stonewithnightmare
サットンプレイスホテル上野, フロント at Sutton Place Hotel Ueno, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
Thank you for staying with us.

Please accept my apology for causing you such terrible distress.
He was just all of guest under control for stay safly in our Hotel becuase many traveller from other county staying our Hotel evey time which mean is all of guest has different culture and custom.

All the feedback will be used to improve our services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in Dec 2013 for 4 nights

Pros
1) Hotel is quite near to Ueno (JR) station. Nearest exit from train station to hotel is Ueno JR station iriya exit. However, if you exit from the Ueno Metro station, you need to use the Hirokoji or central exit to get to the hotel which is double the walking time as compared to iriya exit. Either way, its not longer than 5 mins walk.
2) Large and bright bathroom
3) Free simple breakfast in the lobby, but there are only about 10 seats (including those for computer terminals) in the lobby.
4) Room given was quiet / no traffic noise. Some reviews complained of loud traffic / street noises. Thus beforehand I put in request for a quiet room but not sure if that request was taken into account. In any case, the surrounding of the hotel is NOT noisy (quiet neighbourhood). I considered myself a light sleeper but also non-fussy traveller
5) Clean room (as per all hotels I stayed in Tokyo)
6) Recep staff is friendly though speaks minimal English. Some reviews complained of rude staff but I did not encountered during my entire stay.

Cons
1) No excess space for luggage for a twin bedroom. I had to put my luggage on the bed to pack / unpack every night.
2) No wifi in the room. Wifi signal is only in the lobby. There is lan cable and internet connection point in the room for your laptop

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank blubugs
サットンプレイスホテル上野, フロント at Sutton Place Hotel Ueno, responded to this review, October 17, 2014
Thank you for staying with us.

We are very happy to hear that to enjoy for your stay.

We have already start to change things a lot to provide better service for all of guest.
(all of the room accept free wi-fi access now)

We hope that you will have chance to visit Japan again in future.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The hotel was great! Highly recommended! It was only the front desk which affected our ratings. Hope they could send this Senior chap who attended to us to some courses on customer service. He was rude, not friendly, the way he talked simply pissed us off. He ran the hotel as if we were the prisoners. We had a hard time when we checked into the hotel. To avoid seeing him, we woke up early and return very late to the hotel just to avoid him. Facing him, simply spoilt your mood!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AhPuiTan
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

Just 5 minutes from the JR station Iriya exit and about 10 min to try Keisei station. This makes it a convenient base whether you are coming from Haneda or Narita.
Complimentary breakfast provided at the small lobby, consisting of beverages and bread, which is enough to start your day.
Room size is as expected for a Tokyo hotel but sufficient. For the price that I paid, it is value for money.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in Junior suite room. Four persons in one room. There is space for your luggages!
There is living room area. For this time I stayed 4 persons in one room so the hotel arranged living area as another room by putting 2 single bed instead. Two TVs, two tea pots, two refrigerators, two tables, two small desks, wardrobe, body-sized mirror, hair dryer, amentities, bathtub, bidet, and etc. are fully provided!
Size of the room is quite good for the average room size in Tokyo.
Cleanliness is great!
Complimentary drinks and breakfast (breads and drinks) are offered. Vending machines and washing machine are available.
Staff may not very good in English but they are nices.
Wifi free in the lobby.
The good point that I like is able to deposit the luggages after check out. For this time, I stayed there for 3 nights and go to Nagoya for a night, then come back to Tokyo and stay there again for 2 nights. There is no problem of my luggages which I have deposited when I went to Nagoya, and when I return all the luggages have put into the room propery.
*More option....We have ordered some goods and request to send them to the hotel before we arrive, the staff are kindly accept and store them for us.

Location is good in the area of Ueno where there are keisei skyliner, JR, subway, ueno park, many reataurants and in walking distanceto Ameyoko! Many shops and department stores too.
By the way, it takes almost 10 minutes by walk from Keisei station and about 5 minutes from JR station(Iriya exit-the nearest exit). Convenience shops and late night restaurant are nearby even 24hrs.
Value for money for this kind of lively location in Tokyo.

Asakusa, Akihabara, and many attractions are just few station from ueno.

Another right choice for city trip, family, couple, business, and all travellers with good budget.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank TiddyWallapa
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I book this hotel via 'Expedia' and it's wonderful! Not only I got the cheapest price but also everything ( my payment, hotel confirmation number! ) is kept in their record so my check-in is super fast , easy & accurate!
My room is semi-double bed which is comfortable enough for single lady :) The room is super clean, modern & well equipment. The room space is considered big for regular Japanese hotels!!
And complimentary breakfast is at the lobby on every morning ( lobby sits on 3rd floor while on 2nd floor has vending machine... So convenient & cool!! )
In conclusion, I have pleasant experience staying in Sutton Place Ueno, it's convenient, safety, comfortable.. etc! I need to extend my stay if I can...!
The hotel near JR station, only 5 mins or less by walking! Along the road, it has plenty of restaurants & convenient shops. ( If you have chance please come to JR Ueno station, it has chic & cheap shops along this station  )
Going to Ueno park is around 8 mins while if you crossing the street and walk around 2 mins, you will found AbAb department store which is incredible fashionable & cheap products inside!
I also shared this story to my Thai friends and my tips is 'please book via 'Expedia' not only u can save the budget but it makes sure you will get whatever you need!!'.

Room Tip: Book via 'Expedia' web-site, you will get super special discount & it can quarantee that...