“Impressed although I don't have a chance stay here this time”
Review of Tokyo Ryokan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Taito
Tokyo Ryokan
Ranked #3 of 16 B&Bs / Inns in Taito
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We tried to book hotel pretty late this time, so we didn't get the chance to stay here this time as it is full. But I am very impressed with the info they provided in the reply email to help us with the travel to Tokyo. They take care of non guests, I am sure they will take good care of guests :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Precision on how to get there : Follow their indications on their website. At first u'll see on your left a big temple(unidentified), a little further it's gonna be on the right hand side of a parking.

The ryokan : very clean! Staff (Kenishi & his wife) are great, they have a very good english. Once we needed direction around so he walked with us and showed us around!

Go eat at one of the best food at sometaro!

200yen for a towel if you didn't brought one.

1  Thank lpgrenier
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I don't know how to begin really. Tokyo Ryokan was perfect. It was even better than what we hoped for. What makes it special is the kindness and friendliness of the hosts, Fusako-san and Kenichi-san. Going on our first overseas non-tour trip to a country whose language we don't speak did make me and my sisters a little bit worried, however even from the very beginning, both Fusako-san and Kenichi-san were very helpful and patience answering our million questions. They gave us a lot of plenty of suggestions through emails.

When we finally arrived in Tokyo, it was even better. Both of their English was very good, we had no trouble communicating. They are great people and we enjoyed talking with them very much. They gave us pointers on what to visit, what to do, what to try, and giving us guidance on how to go to places we want to go. When we asked for suggestion where to eat, they even offered to walk us there. When we asked how to recharge our Suica, Kenichi walked us to the station to show us how to do it and to show us the station exit that has the elevator which helped us a LOT when leaving Tokyo.

As for the place itself, it was spotless. And we never had to queue for toilet or bathroom. Aircon is set to turn on around 6 PM I believe, and was set perfectly. Not freezing cold, but not hot either. Knowing everything is small in Japan, we expected a tiny room. But our room was just right. We didn't have to squeeze and didn't have trouble opening our luggages, The common room was pleasant too, we enjoyed having snacks while trying to do origami from their book every night :) Oh, they have plenty of travel books too!

It was a very pleasant time. We would stay there if we visit Tokyo again. I actually felt sad when we checked out, not because we had to leave Tokyo, but because we had to leave the Ryokan. Who knows, that night we got an email from them saying they worried we'd miss Mount Fuji as Nozomi train is very fast, so they did their research and told us to ask for the window seat on the plane back to Tokyo so we can see it from the sky. Which we did :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I would highly recommend this place as a convenient and inexpensive place to stay in Tokyo!

Kenichi was extremely helpful and responsive in our emails back and forth prior to our arrival, even making us reservations for dinner (and trying over and over to call an upscale sushi place on the 1st of the month before; no luck on that, but his friendly and pleasant demeanor was wonderful). He was also helpful in answering all kinds of questions throughout our stay and walking us around the neighborhood to a local spot for breakfast and directing us to his favorite small local garden in the area.

We stayed in a 4.5 tatami-mat room which, yes, was small (especially since we had a lot of luggage as we were on a 7 week trip). We found it quite comfortable. In the heat and humidity of the summer, the air conditioning was set at a comfortable never--not arctic but not too warm either. We never found the shared bathroom facilities a problem and never saw any other guests.

The location was excellent; a short walk to the nearest metro station which was conveniently located on the Ginza line.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlisaAAM
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My sister and I decided to go to Tokyo very spontaneously. After sending an E-mail request we received a positive answer within only 10 minutes! We already felt to be very welcome, as Kenichi (host) wrote in a very friendly and amicably style.
The Ryokan is a small charming hotel within a short walking distance from Tarawamachi metro station in a calm area with lots of restaurants and facilities. It takes about 30 minutes by metro from Tarawamachi to Shibuya station.
The Tokyo Ryokan has only three rooms. There we slept on a foldable mattress that was put on a tatami mat (traditional form of Japanese floor covering). Maybe you don’t feel very comfortable if you are not used to a hard mattress, but it was a great experience. The whole hotel was very clean at any time.
There were two bathrooms. One on the ground floor with a shower and toilet and another one next to the rooms on the first floor (only toilet). You have to bring your own shower gel etc. even soap for washing your hands. If you don’t have a bath towel with you, you can lend one for your whole stay for a price of YEN 200. You can also use it for the Onsen nearby. That’s a public bathing facility were you bath in the nude and gender separated.
The host and his wife are very friendly and gave us a lot of tips what to see and do in Tokyo. Kenichi even accompanied us the first night to show us the neighborhood with its different facilities and restaurants, so we felt street-smart from the beginning on.
I would really recommend the Tokyo Ryokan if you don’t want spend too much for a hotel, if you like a familiar atmosphere and get useful tips and experience a typical Japanese accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

congratlations,Tokyo for winning the host of Olympics 2020!

Japan for me, I have mixed feelings which means good and bad. I was taught a lot history about that period, negative, of course, however, that‘s the past. Modern Japan is high technology, the world of animation, onsen, bird residence (鸟居), Japanese TV drama, and self disciplined people.

It is beyond my description after the first visit of Japan, I wish I would have visited there much earlier. Yes, this is the review of our ryokan we lived in. The owner, Kenichi and Fusako, who represent the general Japanese, they are organised, considerate, and helpful, especially Kenichi, an international person with an open mind. we enjoyed talking with you, even the Earthquake!

I wont reapeat what others say about the ryokan, the surroundings, and so on. Anyhow, it’s a place to be, to experience Tokyo, its people and culture!

Room Tip: avoid using toilet upstairs at night, a bit scary, the sound!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

This Ryokan is a great little set up.
Very clean, great location, 5 mins walk to subway. Very easy to access Tokyo yet stay in a peaceful older area. Traditional style but with a modern twist.

There are only 3 rooms - shared bathroom with shower toilet and double basin downstairs but no dramas. very clean and was always free when required (in fact I can't recall seeing another guest using it! )

There is also a toilet upstairs with a basin again this was spotless.

The hosts are just lovely.
On the first night after a day in the sweltering heat I had a really bad headache. They very kindly offered and walked with me to the drugs store to help me buy some medication.

The hosts' English is very good.

I also arrived early and when I came back later in the day my luggage was in my room.

Tips: recommend mister donut (on way to the subway for breakfast) ask for water they will give you a big glass.

Try somataro savoury pancake shop one evening 2 min walk from Ryokan.

Fukuoka Tempura at the end of the street from New York also very very good.

The Rox shopping centre area was good too. There's a non tourist kimono shop on the top floor.

The onsen is very nice but if you didn't grow up in a "naked house" you might find it a bit intense. There is a laundry there though if you want to do washing -takes 40 mins 200¥.

• Stayed: September 2013