Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed March 9, 2012

that was my first visit to Japan and my friend who lived in Japan told me aboutn this place and Im so glad I did come as I enjoyed this elegant Japanese Hospitality. The place was clean and close to everything you would need. This Hotel told me about trip advisor and now Im writting reviews on trip advisor. Thank you staff for assisting me and for your greast hospitality. The place is so clean

Room tip: Ask the receptionist about the tourist attractions as they are well versed on the tourist places to visit
Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
4  Thank travelCuzUnited
Reviewed November 29, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 7 nights in October 2011. We were originally going to Japan in May 2011 but due to the tsunamai in March and subsequent travel warnings we decided to postpone until September. Unfortunately the ryokan requires you to pay in advance and doesn't offer a refund if you vary your dates unless they are able to rebook the room. I'm not complaining, I knew the fine print when we first booked but you need to be aware of it.
Okay,the nuts and bolts. The ryokan is in Asakusa, a not too touristy part of Tokyo. The local metro station, Tewaramachi, is about a 10 minute walk away. The ryokan is on a quiet street but is also a 2 minute walk from Kappabashi-dori, a kitchen-ware, restaurant supplies street about 1 km long and full of great stuff for your home or as souvenirs. The ryokan is run by Kenichi-san and Fusako-san. They are nice people who speak good English. Kenichi appears reserved at first but once you get to know him and he,you the laughs flowed. Fusako is a bit shy but very friendly.
The room we stayed in was small with little space for our mountain of baggage and souvenirs. The futons are a bit thin and the pillows small but probably authentic. The bathroom facilities are shared between 3 rooms. Upstairs where the bedrooms are is a toilet, urinal and handbasin. Downstairs is a communal room for eating or whatever, a shower and 2 handbasins. The shower is a push-button type which you need to keep pushing if you want.There is no running hot water in the handbasins. There isn't coffee/tea making facilities or a fridge which would both be assets.
Anyway, we liked staying there very much. The hosts, the location, Kappabashi-dori and numerous eating places made it feel very comfortable for us in a city that we struggled to keep up with. Any criticism is minor.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank MrThrill
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Stayed here for 10 days in december of 08

was such a beautiful little place.

it's incredibly basic - don't expect room service and a bar fridge

but i'm pretty sure for this price the only other accomodation available in tokyo is a backpacker dorm or a capsule hotel.

the walls are paper thin so bring ear plugs.

we had to bang on the wall because a snorlax next door kept us up with his snoring.

we also had the wall banged on us one night when we came home really drunk - whoops!

it's incredibly clean and the design is so beautiful and minimalistic. in such a gorgeous area of tokyo, i can't wait to go back.

if you have back problems be warned that this place is traditional japanese tatami matt beds and the pillows are stuffed with rice!

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank hollyequin
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We spent a weekend at Tokyo Ryokan in early April and it was a really good experience. At the time, it was not too long after the earthquake so we were very concerned about the conditions in Japan. The owners Kenichi san and Fusako san were extremely helpful and responsive in their communications prior to our trip, taking care to answer all of our questions and concerns. A+

When we arrived we found a charming little traditional Japanese ryokan. The interior was constructed out of high quality wood complete with the traditional Japanese sliding doors. The atmosphere was minimalist yet stylish and travelers who frequent a lot of B&Bs and hostels should feel very comfortable. Furthermore, I want to add that the entire place was exceptionally clean. I did not see a single spec of dust or stain anywhere the entire time I was there, no exaggeration.

As for rooms, they are very no-frills so no beds but you do get a large comforter on top of the tatami which is cleaned every day.

The neighborhood is nice in the sense of that it has easy access to the airport, is quiet, and has many cheap places to eat near-by. Asakusa is probably the most backpacker friendly neighborhood in Tokyo with many B&Bs and old fashioned restaurants near-by, as well as the famous Sensoji temple. Foodies should take note that the most famous tempura place ( Daikokuya tempura ) and the most famous kaiten sushi place ( Magurobito ) are both in this neighborhood.

Also regarding location, keep in mind that Tokyo is a very spread out city so still expect to commute for at least 30 minutes between attractions. From Tokyo Ryokan, it was a 30-40 minute subway ride to Shinjuku station (the major transport hub), 30 minutes to Shibuya (main attractions), and about 1 1/2 hours to Narita airport depending on the line you take.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay at Tokyo Ryokan. As many of the other reviewers mentioned, this is probably the best no frills B&B in Tokyo. The location is right, the atmosphere is charming, and it is exceptionally well kept. Kenichi san and Fusako san are the nicest most helpful B&B owners I've ever met so you're definitely in good hands when you stay here!

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
8  Thank LuckyTommy7
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed here for one night and found it to be a nice and comfortable stay. Compared to the prices of some of the other Ryokans this really is the best your going to get for the price you pay - 3500 yen. Owner is friendly and very informative and chatty!

Date of stay: May 2011