“Great location for subway/ JR”

Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Ikebukuro
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
London, United Kingdom
“Great location for subway/ JR”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

As everyone has said on here, the location is perfect for exploring Tokyo. I chose it based on the reviews that I saw and wasn't disappointed. The rooms are very small and you need to be very organised. We had two large suitcases and had to unpack and find a place for everything but once we did this, we found that the size was fine. We spent very little time in the room anyway as Tokyo has so much to see.

To get to the metro you come out of the back entrance, past the bakery and then walk through Lumie. There are a number of entrances but this is the closest to the hotel. The station is very big though with a number of lines running through. Have a map to look at to plan your journeys. They have guides down in reception. We used the JR line the most. We found the metro/ railway a little confusing, but got the hang of it, buying tickets for each part of the journey (pick the cheapest option if your not sure of price and they then have machines when you get off before you go through the turnstyles to check you have paid enough).

The bathroom is good and has everything you may need, including toothbrush, toothpaste, razor etc. The shampoo and condition provided are in nice big bottles and good quality.

The hairdryer is good and there is a large mirror by the door under a light where you can check how you look.

The check in and check out was quick and efficient. We arrived about 30 minutes before check in time but our room was already available.

As others have stated there are number of places to eat close to the hotel that stay open very late.

We used the bus limo service from the airport which takes you directly to the hotel. It cost less than £20 per person, but we did have to wait just over an hour for the next bus but I still think this is the better option if you are carrying a lot of luggage. It took just over an hour to get to the hotel, but took about 1 hour 45 to get there when we went back (hotel said 2 hours). Think this was probably because we were travelling during rush hour on a Tuesday morning.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HannahMumbai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 7, 2014

While the hotel's interior and service was reasonable, I thought my request for a late check-out at 2pm (instead of 12) was fair; as my plane was late in the evening. But no, the response was the hotel would have to charge. Matter was escalated to the manager and the response was replayed. I reiterated my request and finally, the manager agreed (after a long considered pause) to a late check-out of 1pm.

Obviously I was still not too happy with the manner the request was handled. One really wonder if the inflexibility was due to the Japanese's style of working or the corporate culture at work.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
West Allis, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was our second stay at the Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo and our expectations were once again exceeded. The front desk staff are nice and willing to help out. My daughter had wanted to get her nails done in the very fancy kawaii gel style. The woman at the Concierge Desk, whose name escapes me at the moment, went out of her and called every nail salon near the hotel to make an appointment for us! However, because it was a Sunday, all the salons had previous appointments booked. She even came up to our room to make sure everything was to our liking, to ask if we were able to get find a salon that was open, and to inform us that if anything else was needed to not hesitate to ask.

The rooms were always cleaned beautifully. The location is perfect with maybe a five minute walk to the Ikebukuro train station.The staff are amazing!

I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Christiellen W
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel 5 months in advance and got a super (incredible) rate for 3 nights.
So far so food. But as I arrived at 11pm to the check in I was given a registration form where the rate was 20 times higher than the confirmed rate for which I had printed confirmation e-mail.
The agent then explained there was an error on the web and the price was not what I had been confirmed and that I was advised about it in advance!?
After 2 hours and many phone calls to the central office in Frankfurt and arguing with a hotel manager they accepted and only charged me 180€!!! for the night.
I travelled for 2 days and was too tired to look for another hotel.
The room was superior king on the higher floor and so small that you could not even leave the suitcase on the floor.
The bathroom was modern and the tv channels below everage with only one english option!

I was promissed I would be refunded the difference through central office but after several months they actually did not respect the original rate and gave me 50€ voucher for future travel and expiring within 3 months.
I must say this was the first time ever.(and I stayed in more than 300 hotels) that the hotel did not grant the rate previously confirmed by themselves.

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank Ludwig70
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed here toward the end of March when the hotel was very crowded for graduation season but it was very comfortable and service was good. The room was much larger than I expected for a single and I had wi-fi in the room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2014

It is on the west side from ikebukuro station. Very well connected by the 'circle' line (metro). Loads of eating places nearby.

Hotel room was decent though compact size and clean.

Only drawback - no free wifi in the room. It is available in the lobby. This makes the lobby a bit crowded in the late evenings!

Of the three places I have stayed in (akasuka, ginza and ikebukuro ), I liked this location the most! Very convenient and pleasant surroundings. Please note, the east side is not as chilled out as the west side of ikebukuro.

Electronic shopping was great in BIC camera near the hotel! Got duty free and further discount. Better than Akihabara.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VLqvc
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Excellent hotel that we used as "base-camp" to start our family vacation in Japan. We reserved two-connected rooms and were very satisfied. Reservation made on-line followed with communication by E-mail. Check in and out were simple and quick !

Rooms are spacious, facilities and amenities are excellent. Access is superb (directly from Narita by Airport Limousine Bus, 5 minutes walk from Ikebukuro station). Choices of restaurants and convenient stores are abundant.

Staffs were super friendly and helpful. They helped us to plan our day trips, transfer our luggages to Osaka, etc.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Teddy A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toshima
Centurion Hotel Ikebukuro
Shinjuku
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
Shinjuku Granbell Hotel
#12 of 82 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Ikebukuro? Share your experiences!