“Good lokation in Tokyo”

Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Helsinki, Finland
“Good lokation in Tokyo”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great location near the Ikebukuro train station. 5min to two big dep.stores. The Hotel is very nice,
breakfast in many styles for extra charge but so good. I had breakfast in the hotel every second morning, good cafe´s around the corner. The Hotell has 8 restaurants and you can find a lot more just walkin a few minutes north.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I liked staying at the Hotel Metropolitan. What I liked the most is the location and customer service. The location is great. It is close to the train station with three metro lines; so that getting to most parts of Tokyo from this hotel is very easy. It is also close to shopping since the Seibu and Tobu department stores. I recommend visiting the food court in the basement of Seibu. You will not be disappointed with the variety of delicious food, and sake in the stores there. I also love the bake shop in this hotel.it has yummy pastries.
The customer service is good. They are very efficient in taking care of their guests and ensuring that you have a good experience while staying with them. The concierge is very good. They are always willing to assist and give detailed directions as needed. Though I do not speak Japanese, I had no problem communicating with the staff since many of them spoke fluent English

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank FabGlobetrotter03
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed May 29, 2013

hotel is very nice,well located,ikebukuro subway is at walking distance... they offer good restaurants at the hotel but there are plenty of eating options nearby... staff is courteous and helpfull... Mrs. Mariko, customer relationship mgr, has excellent english and was very helpfull... room was small and we had problems to accommodate our clothes and luggage but with some creativity one can manage... suggest to book hotel thru a "discount" site as the prices at the counter are much higher... we extended our stay for 2 extra nights and paid more than for the previous 4 nights... arrival from narita is excellent by shuttle , 2hr drive, that drops you at the hotel entrance for US$ 30... there are some small streets across the main entrance that are worthwhile a 1hr walk to see how japanese live... in this area there is a school designed by frank lloyd wright for those who love architecture... there plenty of coffee shops including a starbucks...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mario n
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I actually stayed here last year and although my review was published in Booking.com it did not materialise here. I stayed here for almost a month and if not due to cost and convenience I would have moved.

GOOD POINTS.

The Metropolitan is a 4 star hotel It has a Good Gym with very efficient young staff ( a good reason to stay if fitness is your thing with one of the best hotel leisure centres in Tokyo. It Looked like the swimming pool was good but I could not use it due to an upper arm tattoo. Other hotels allow you to bandage them to swim if small like mine are. The all day dining is good and reasonably priced for Japan Rates ( this should improve with western monies as the Yen has been devalued to some degree over the past 6 months). The staff there were proficient, charming and professional. The Metro station and JR line is very close and convenient. The restaurants are pretty good, aside, for Tokyo prices. Breakfast was pretty good, but "same same" after a few days. In fact all the eateries were always busy, therefore a popular place. Cheaper options are in quick walking distance outside the hotel.

NOT SO GOOD POINTS

The rooms are too small, dated, tired etc. I have stayed in many hotels in Japan and this was below that of any other 4 or 5 star hotel I had previously stayed at. In fact there are better 3 star hotels, albeit assessed by rooms only. Wi Fi was available and reasonably good.

The night manager was very unhelpful on my first night. In fact I think he had a bad attitude to foreigners (westerners). As I declared a tattoo that could be seen, only, if I was swimming I was then told I was banned from the gym also! the one and only reason/wavering factor I stayed here in the first place. This hotel manager simply dismissed my reasonable request and simply could not be bothered to show common sense in resolving the issue. The rudest, ignorant Japanese staff member of any Japanese or world hotel that I have ever stayed at (about 50 in 14 different countries in six years). In the end a helpful young member of the fitness staff told me the leisure facilities was actually a different company to the hotel. The next day the issue was resolved, to my benefit, with the leisure centre staff and an agreement to have my upper arm tattoo covered during fitness training which I did. I had to sign a special contract to say my tatoo would not be seen and I would agree to be banned from the leisure club if they were seen or offended Japanese guests without refund. Astonishing. The staff were good but were guided by strict company policy; they bent the rules for me and I am truly thankful for that. (Reason, 1 month gym pass far cheaper than daily rate).

Neighbouring rooms were noisy, at night (er hum) or morning, when the cleaners were cleaning you could here everything. Also, Nearby, to my side of the hotel there was a emergency services base, fire, ambulance etc. At any time of day or night they would be testing those sirens and blues and twos. I am a good sleeper but during my months stay I had many disturbed nights when I was woken by this.

This is a hotel for business !!!. One evening I asked a front desk member of staff if they could scan and copy some documents for me if I purchased a USB disc. The gentleman said yes. The next day I came back with USB and documents and a lady staff member said no! nor could she help me to a location where I could do this. Maybe she learnt her manners and helpfulness from the night manager, Pathetic, poor business support.

Ikebukuru, is not my favourite place in Tokyo, but it does have everything you need there. If you need to get south of Shinjuku, like I did, in the morning, good luck as between 8 and 9 am the place is crazy and busy beyond belief. People did not look happy with their daily work travel.

SUMMARY

I dont particularly like to write poor reviews and there is much more I could negatively write about this hotel, if I wanted too. I have traveled and visited Japan on many occasions and have stayed in many hotels and guest houses for long periods of time over the past 3 years. Japan does suffer in some areas of xenophobia and this can be ignored like any other country. I have many great Japanese friends and associates and although I may have faced almost negative racial attitudes in the social hubs of Japans finest entertainment areas, I can take that on the chin. I am former military and every country has its ignorant personas. What irritated myself here, that in a 4 star hotel, is for the first time in a Japan hospitality centre I felt that I received negative service and attitude due to my western european ethnicity. However, it is always a few that upset the best efforts of others therefore I am grateful to the majority and particularly the younger members of staff that showed me the best of professional courtesy either on the front lobby floor, the restaurants or the leisure centre. Thank you to you people. The poor points score is for the management, the lack of investment in improving the rooms and the poor unhelpful hotel policy's. Not acceptable considering the price you pay to stay with no loyalty long term customer concessions.

As an after thought for advice, I recommend that the supervisory staff and middle managers perhaps visit other centres of excellence that I have stayed in Tokyo to see how it is done., The Grand Hyatt, Roppongi, The Westin Tokyo Hotel, The Hilton Hotel, Shinjuku etc etc. The Japanese hospitality within these places are exemplary.

Room Tip: It would be hard to say. If you are in a centre room you may be disturbed on both sides. If you have...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Paul C
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here recently and the location of the hotel is great, being conveniently located near Ikebukuro train station. Lots of shopping and restaurants in this area and you will be spoiled for choice. We got the smaller rooms but it was still manageable by Tokyo standards. Although we requested for non-smoking rooms, you still get the stale smell of cigarettes in the carpet. I think its not easy to get rid of cigarette smell. Our room had free wifi, and I think only certain floors have this fee wifi. The staff spoke English and were very helpful in arranging early morning transport to the airport. The hotel is served by the airport limo bus and this is great especially with the expensive taxis in Tokyo.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our room at the Metropolitan was comfortable and spacious (by Japanese standards). The room had also been recently renovated. The staff members are English-speaking, courteous and competent. We enjoyed our two nights here. The hotel is located just two blocks south of Ikebukuro Station which is less than 20 minutes by subway/train from Tokyo JR Station. There are plenty of dining options in the area, but if you want great gyros or kebab for breakfast/lunch, head over two blocks to Suleiman's red truck in the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Space building courtyard (NW side across from Ikebukuro Station). Permits for street food vendors are difficult to get in Japan but Suleiman deserved to get one.

Room Tip: Reserve a "high-floor" room, if possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We Loved our stay here. Our room on 19th floor was a bit small but this is Tokyo, the views were just mind-blowing, Fantastic! Room was Very clean although Mrs H said the carpet could do with a clean. Bed comfy enough, nice chaise lounge, empty fridge that worked fine. Auto heated mirror when the shower is on to clear a space for you convenience, but then again, the Japanese have convenience down to a fine art! We asked for & were given an adaptor (free) for our whole stay, thanks. Staff were brilliant but the Japanese are so friendly and nice anyway. The Location for us was PERFECT. A little less touristy but more relaxed, friendly and inviting and has everything you would need. We were Very happy to end up having dinner in the area every evening, half the price of more central Tokyo with at least if not more verity on offer and simply Wonderful hospitality! Hotel lays on a bus transfer to Airport which takes about 1.5 to 2 hours and was about a third of prices on offer on an internet search.
Very close to Ikebukuro metro station (west exit, either Lumine or Tobu but not Seibu exit) so easy to get around. Buy tickets as you go & not a daily card unless you intend making more than 6 journeys on the JR line or 12 using others as well. Metro tickets are confusing, if not sure how much to pay, buy the cheapest ticket and when you arrive at your destination you can put ticket in a fare adjuster and pay the difference if any is needed, then exit. Tokyo oozes class, Great stay for us x

Room Tip: The higher the better, on a good day you can get a clear view of Mount Fuji
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank havebagwilltravel42
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toshima
Centurion Hotel Ikebukuro
#8 of 74 in Chiyoda
The B Ikebukuro
The B Ikebukuro
#6 of 55 in Toshima

Been to Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Ikebukuro? Share your experiences!