“Excellent Location”

Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Ikebukuro
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This hotel is located right next to Ikebukeru station as well as loads of places to eat. The rooms were fine, mine was certainly big enough for a single traveller with one suitcase but as it was a twin, may be too small for a couple. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous and spoke a decent level of English. I didn't eat at the hotel restaurants so can't comment on the quality of the food but I did try out the bakery and found the products to be delicious.
There is a Tobu dept store next to it and it has a huge variety of restaurants to try out.
If you can, get a room as high up as possible because the view of Mt. Fuji on a clear winter morning is unforgettable. I just wish I had a better camera.
All in all, I would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: As high as possible. They are quieter and have a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Indybag

Reviewed January 15, 2013

It was our first time to visit Japan and we stayed at Hotel Metropolitan last December 2012. I did a little bit of research as to its location and amenities such as the size of the rooms and free internet access. The staff of the hotel were very courteous and helpful and assisted us in the best way they could. I was surprised that when they gave us a room, although a bit small compared to the ones we visited in other places, it included both free WiFi internet and LAN internet access! Also, upon going out of the hotel, the Metropolitan Plaza was just infront of the hotel. From there we were able to ride the train and subway (Ikebukuro station) and visit other places in Tokyo such as Ginza and Shibuya. The hotel is also near Mutekiya, a restaurant that serves superb ramen.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for our next visit.

Room Tip: Do not pick the rooms with queen-sized beds for they tend to be smaller as compared to the rest.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nikkman0812
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

First time in Tokyo for the holidays with my family (5 adults) and Hotel Metropolitan is a wonderful gem! Booked two rooms (a triple and a double) for the 5 night stay and everyone of us thoroughly enjoyed.

My parents - who has been to Tokyo three times already - initially had apprehensions to stay in Hotel Metropolitan as it wasn't as well-known to the hotels they were used to. However, I was able to convince them because of the reviews here in Trip Advisor.

The decision was for the best! The hotel, though far from Narita Airport (1.5-2 hours away) - we got in by airport limo bus - was surrounded by all sorts of small local Japanese eateries. There was a 711 and a Family Mart easily just a hop from the hotel. Moreover, the JR station was literally just across the street with most major lines accessible to it.

Sure, the rooms were relatively small but it was quaint, clean, and tidy. The hotel staff are all friendly, accomodating, and speaks good English. WiFi in the hotel room was a cheap addition for just ¥500 for the entire stay - a worth it fee, in my opinion. The bathroom has a heated toilet bowl and a bath tub, too!

Everyone was so impressed that my parents are rebooking for their trip this year and we might go back again for the holidays!

Thank you, Hotel Metropolitan for my fantastic first time in Tokyo! ( ´ ? ` )?

2  Thank girlwholovesred
Reviewed January 6, 2013

It is my first time to be in Tokyo so I don't know if the rooms are standard size or not but it feels very small to me. While the location is not bad I think it would be much better staying in shinjuku area because in our 6 nights there we always had to pass by shinjuku station on our way back to the hotel. It just wasted a lot of our time. The hotel looks and feels very old.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank swdee_12
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I chose this hotel due to others review. I was though it would be as my other hotels in japan. I quite surprised with the room size. It is no huge but it was bigger than my thought. Staffs speak good English and I enjoy the stay there with family. Walking distance to jr line and metro.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SolidDynamics
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Located right by Ikebukuro station and a lot of shopping options (and ramen joints), this hotel is convenient. The room sizes are not big, but then, very few places in Japan are very big. The bathrooms were actually decently sized for a Japanese hotel, so we were happy about that. The hotel staff spoke English and were very friendly and helpful, helping us with everything from booking the airport limo to sending off postcards. (Exchanging money was done via a little machine by the front desk - also very convenient). We had to pay 500 yen for internet access in our room for the three night stay. The speed was okay, not fabulous, but seeing as some guests only a month before did not have room internet options, we must have visited after they installed the room wireless. Overall, highly recommendable, especially to those ramen lovers (the ramen places are so close).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Aryun
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed two nights in a Superior Queen room, which we found quite comparable to a western hotel room in terms of its size (i.e. large by Japan standards!). The view was quite good, but couldn't match that from another hotel we stayed at in Ginza, and overall the room and furnishings were quite average - neither new nor old, shabby nor trendy.

The location was quite good, with plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance, and the nearby train stations were relatively convenient to the major sights. We had little contact with staff, but it was a little disappointing to find that when we arrived at 1.30pm, we still had to wait until the allocated check in time of 2pm.

Overall, certainly nothing to complain about, but everything was fairly average and we would look further next time. Large room was definitely a bonus.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RJBris
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toshima
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hilton Tokyo
#4 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Metropolitan Tokyo Ikebukuro? Share your experiences!