“Approve”
Review of Kimi Ryokan

Kimi Ryokan
Ranked #2 of 55 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Near Ikebukuro station, this is a value for money place in the north-west of Tokyo. The traditional layout requires people to sleep on futon mattresses on the floor (but unlike other ryokans, they do not look after the room daily).
The workers are not too familiar with the area (such as where to eat and visit).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Benesan

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We are from Barcelona. We have stayed at Kimi Ryokan in Oct 2013 and we'll repeat without any doubts. Great price and location and great staff. The room was very clean and futons were very comfortable. Very good location, just only 5 minutes walking from Ikebukuro station!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Carmela R
Reviewed November 7, 2013

A friend of mine referred this place to me. When I went to book, only the mid-sized rooms were available and I was allowed to book it, at a small extra charge. I arrived, the staff helped me with my luggage and showed me around and to my room. The room was very good for just one, even with me making a big mess of it, with bags all over the place. The yukata, futon and towels were very good. Whenever I asked the staff for some info, they were very helpful and speak very good English. You get free amenities, such as tooth brushes in the bathroom area. At this moment, you are probably wondering what the faults are. Well, I found that the window in the room wasn't completely sound proofed, so in the night, I'd hear allot of noise from people with trolleys or speaking in the street. Also, there were no curtains or drapes, to prevent the light from coming in when the sun starts to go up. These are the reasons I gave 3 and 4, respectively for sleep quality and rooms. As for the cleanliness, this is due to some mold or fungus that could be seen in some of the shower curtains. The other reason was the smell or urine that was in the bathrooms. While this last is mostly related to the habits of the guests, it still isn't very nice. You do have some slippers to use whenever you need to use the toilet.
Also, one of the things I didn't like was the lack of respect some guests had to others. One came barging in at 1 a.m. making allot of noise and instead of excusing himself, he just said "I know the owner". Whether he did or not, I don't know. If he did, I'd kindly ask Mr. Kisaburo to ask his friends to keep the noise down. Still, this has nothing to do to the ryokan itself.

So, overall, when I go back to Tokyo, I will gladly stay at Kimi Ryokan, and I highly recomend it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Percebezinhe
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and had a great time. The location is quite convenient, being just a few minute's walk from the Ikebukuro metro and JR station. The room was small (4.5 mats), but big enough for our needs and were surprisingly comfy. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The walls were a bit thin (as they were in every place we stayed during our trip), so sometimes the loud talking of the other guests woke me up. I would still easily choose to stay at the Kimi Ryokan again if I get the opportunity to go back to Japan.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel G
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was perfect! Yes the rooms are a bit small, yes you are sharing a bathroom, but it is well done, comfortable and quiet. The staff are super helpful, and it is located in a pretty cool area of tokyo, with lots of cool bars and restaurants. It is a 7 min walk to the train station, so easy to get around the city. Will definitely be back!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wilfood
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Kimi Ryokan was not only clean and beautiful, but also very traditional (tatami mat) styled rooms. I think when visiting another country, it's important to connect with the culture and surround yourself with it as much as you can; Kimi Ryokan helped with that easily. The workers at the front were very kind and informative when I had any questions, and it helped to create a bond within the place, even after the first night there. They have a common room where any of the guests can invite their friends and hang out in the room where they offer beer (in vending machines), hot tea, hot water, television, microwave, and a shared refrigerator where you don't have to worry about people stealing your stuff~
Lastly, the best part was getting to know the owner of Kimi Ryokan. His name is Kisaburo and he has very good English as well! He was not only informative about swindlers with his personal notes around the Ryokan, but he also brought us to his hometown called Ogawamachi in Saitama prefecture. His goal is to bring more tourists there to help support their businesses as well. It was more than worth visiting! We saw nature and shrines during a little hike to see some waterfalls, we ate wonderfully prepared udon that was the best I've ever had in a beautiful traditional building where they have a Totoro made of straw next to it. (Sorry for the run-on sentence; it was just that awesome!) He also brought us to some really cool stores around, an onsen after showing us Shuu Kaido (a particular flower that blossoms during autumn), and his friends' house/restaurant where we ate such delicious food with his BEAUTIFUL family.
I definitely recommend staying here if ever in Japan. It is convenient, they have a washer/dryer, and the staff and owner are so amazingly kind!!!!

Room Tip: If you have two people in a room, I suggest the one that costs about 7900/night. It was a good amoun...