Family Inn Saiko
Kimi Ryokan(Toshima)(Great Value!)
$119
$50
Agoda.com
All reviewspeanut butterkimono experiencehome away from homeresidential areaminute walkmasa sanikebukuro stationyakitorijapanese style bathtrue japanese experienceinstant coffeetrain stoptatami matsquiet at nightwashing machinehot bathgreat place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Family Inn Saiko lives up to its reputation on trip advisor - it's a lovely homely quiet & convenient place to stay and the staff are friendly, helpful and kind. I stayed here for 5 nights and It really is like staying with family. Everyday the staff would find time to have a chat & provide useful info about my sightseeing plans in Tokyo (e.g. stations which are easier to navigate for transfers & even where to find postcards which had proved more elusive than I expected). When I mentioned in conversation to one pf the team members, Nicholas-san that I'd always wanted to wear a kimono but thought it was too complicated, he translated this to the grandmother of the inn and she offered to dress me in one of her kimonos the next morning. It was very kind especially as I never expected to be able to wear a kimono and was just talking about it as wishful thinking! Thank you Family Inn Saiko for making it possible to tick 'wear a kimono in Japan' off the bucket list :)
It's a 10 minute walk through a quiet residential area and neighbourhood shops to Shiinamachi station which is one stop away from the major JR station Ikebukuro which makes it easy to access various sights in Tokyo & beyond on the JR lines.
My room was very clean and comfortable with tatami mats, a futon and a private ensuite. And it was great to have homely comforts (e.g. access to a free washing machine and drying racks, large fridge to keep your food/drinks in & a microwave as well). There's also a public bath on the 4th floor that can be booked for private use. It was a great way to unwind after a long flight.
I will definitely stay at the Family Inn Saiko again. Though with all these positive reviews on trip advisor this gem will probably be booked out in advance!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank JML-Sydney
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I love Family inn Saiko a lot. it made me feel like I really lived in this town as local.
And the staff was more than helpful and kind. I arrived 1~2 hrs ealier than check in time.
Mr. Yuki was kind enough to let me have early check in. He gave me all the neccesary information materials about Tokyo and greeted me with with smile.
The room was small. but you should know that all rooms in any hotel in Tokyo are small.
So the size of the room does not bother me at all. The room may be small but very cozy and extremley clean and neat. All all the things you need are placed in the room. (Hair dryer, Yukata(Japanese gown), sampoo, soap etc). I was not used to sleep on the floor but it was not bad as I can have good night sleep until 9 am :) )
Location is a little difficult to find but once you get there and know the direction, you will feel like you are local in the town.
You can run into the old ladies next door sweeping the street and childrens palying in the park and find all the little allies. And markets near around.
l absolutely loved watching how local Japanese peolple live here and it's just mesmerizing.
On the last day of my stay, I had to move to another hotel that my company booked for me.
I really hated to leave the place. The hotel may have more luxuary, convenience and more things to offer but this Family inn Saiko has something that other typical hotel cannot give.
I think that's sincere hospitality and kindness to the guests.
I definately recommend here for the people who wants to see real Japan and local atmosphere.
But if you like to have some posh and luxuary things, you better stay in the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Erin K
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This inn has be the best value of all the places I have stayed in the greater Tokyo area. Very clean, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The attention to detail was near perfect. I highly recommend this place when traveling around Tokyo.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Mojohojo66
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My friends and I decided to spend a night at a traditional inn vs fancy hotel. The experience was great! The host was very friendly and knowledgeable. We felt like "at home." The facility is well-maintained and clean. The rooms are very well-kept and modern. It was a very relaxing and comfortable stay and i truly enjoyed the experience. The only downfall is that the location is in a very small town and there really isn't much to do. Also, you have to take the taxi to get there...not walkable from metro station. It's also a little ways away from tokyo city. Otherwise, a great place and highly recommended place to stay at.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank debbbieee
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent 7 nights at this pleasant ryokan. Nicholas and Kazumi-san were really friendly and helpful in providing us travel advice when we met daily at the inn lobby for a quick breakfast. The inn itself is about a 15-minute walk from either Kanamecho JR station or the Shiinamachi Seibu station. Quite a challenge to navigate by foot to the Inn for the first time. Better to rely on a map with indicated landmarks, take a taxi, or simply go with Google maps to find your way there. Really quiet suburbs throughout the day, with plenty of amenities (convenience stores, a post office, many restaurants) in the adjacent streets.

Room is clean and comfortable. Except for the lack of a wardrobe to hang up my clothes, everything else was great. Overall, I get a sense of homeliness for my entire stay at Family Inn Saiko, something that I wouldn't have experienced if I just stayed at any other conventional hotels. Two thumbs up, highly recommended for traveler who intends to find a peaceful location amid the hustle and bustle of Tokyo.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends