“The best hotel that I've stayed in so far in Tokyo...”

Tokyu Stay Ikebukuro
Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Vancouver, Canada
“The best hotel that I've stayed in so far in Tokyo...”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

First, I've booked this hotel a while ago, so I actually got a good price on agoda.ca.

The first thing that prompted me to book this hotel is definitely the washing and drying machine. I wasn't disappointed at all! However, keep in mind, it will usually take at least 3 hours to complete the whole cycle! So I would suggest either wash it before you head out to sight-see or during the night (although it is not too quiet and it will beep when it's done). First pack of laundry soap is free, but then you have to buy it for only 30 yen!!!

I might've forgotten when I booked the hotel, but it did come with free breakfast buffet. The food selection is not bad. Not a picky eater here. Of course you cannot compare it to buffet in big and luxurious hotels. However, I do find the food sometimes not hot enough.

The room itself is not spacious, but it is pretty new. However, the bathroom is much bigger than most business hotel with a huge tub as well. One thing to keep in mind, there is no room service for 6 days or less, but the cleaning stuff will change your garbage and linens. Again, I'm not a messy person, so it wasn't a big deal. Plus, I never understand people who treat the hotel room as a garbage dump. One thing I find it irritating is the air-conditioner's light really disturbs my sleep because it's so bright, but I don't think there's anything I could do about that except turn the air-con off. Also, the hotel does not provide cups for tea etc. It would be nice to at least have a cup for the tea packs near the electric kettle and microwave.

The hotel's security is really top-notched. You need a key card in order to go into the elevator and up to your floor.

The location is perfect as it is in the heart of Ikebukuro and is near the JR train station. As many of you have pointed out, take the West C6 exit, then turn left on the main street once you are up the escalator until you see a 7-11, then turn left again and you'll see it on your right pretty soon. There are many restaurants open at night near the area as well.

The staff is attentive and speaks pretty well English (although I've also used my minimum Japanese as well). One girl in glasses tried to help me about delivering my luggage to Narita Airport.

If the price is right again, I will definitely book this hotel.

Overall: 9/10

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank kmpiano1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I paid 30,000 yen for 4 nights stay in the Single B room. It was worth every penny and was beyond my expectations. Room is spacious enough for 1 person, very clean with modern furnishings. It comes equipped with full functioning aircon, humidifier, washing machine, microwave oven, water boiler, hot shower. It was pretty cold due to the rain so I made sure to turn on the toilet seat heating switch. Trust me it makes a difference!

I stayed on the mixed gender floor and still felt safe because the hotel requires guests to scan their card keys to access the lift lobby and the lift itself.

I fell sick during the trip and was extremely glad that I got such a comfortable and clean hotel room to rest in.

Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Kawasaki, Japan
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed here for one night during a brief stay in Tokyo - didn't get an especially good rate since I booked at the last minute, but the principal draw here was the washer/dryer in the room... after backpacking for a couple of weeks, I was really looking forward to having clean clothes again! The wash/dry cycle seemed to take a very long time, but it wasn't too loud and I woke up to a bunch of clean laundry.

The location is excellent, right near Ikebukuro Station from which you can get just about anywhere in central Tokyo with ease.

The room itself was comfortable and clean - small by western standards but reasonable for Tokyo. The only disappointment was the bed - there was only a single pillow in the room and it was not comfortable at all. I ended up using the neck pillow I had brought with me for my flight.

The reception was also very helpful when I needed to pack up some belongings in a box and ship them to my home in northern Japan. I had wandered out to a convenience store to pick up some packing tape but it turned out that they had some available at reception.

Staff was very nice and helpful, and the room and breakfast were sufficient as well. Great option if you want to stay in Ikebukuro.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Great hotel...Close to Yamanote line which can take you all over Tokyo. Perfect for transfer to / from Narita airport..( Skyliner to Nippori station. Switch to Yamonote line direction Ikebuuro. Hotel 2 minute walk from station )..30 minutes on Yamanote line to Haneda airport .
Rooms are small ( normal for Japan ) but so organized and clean. Tea / coffee making facilities. .Microwave ..Washing machine / Dryer in room... Breakfast included ....Staff speak English and are very helpful. Lots of good restos ( try IWAMOTO on main street ) and coffee shops nearby.. 7 Eleven on the corner....Overall , great hotel and a bargain in Tokyo...

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suzanne-john
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 18, 2014

English well spoken hotel staff had explained all what I have to know while stay in this hotel during my check-in. Room is modern, nice and clean. The full function washing machine was very useful (from washing til hot-dry) and staff also gave free detergent. Breakfast was fine for me. Don't forget to try beef steak restaurant near subway exit C1. Oishi!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Stayed here for my first trip to Tokyo and found it to be a great bargain considering included in the hotel price is a washer/dryer. Did laundry every night, so I came back home with no dirty laundry. The fridge and mini kitchen were good for days that I had a meal in, and lots of eateries or convenience stores to shop at nearby. The staff were very helpful and kind, greeting me each time I left or entered the premises and were happy to hold my luggage before catching the Nex for my flight home. What made the stay great was that it was a couple minutes walk from Ikebukuro Station, C6 exit. The exit had an escalator which made lugging my suitcase up and down a breeze.

Would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank rosiethedinosaur
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 7, 2014

It is nice to be attended to the polite and helpful English speaking staff at front desk, the breakfast attendant are nice too so are the housekeeping maids.
Love the washer and dryer ...get to put on clean clothes everyday. Asian style bed very firm and small contoured pillows. microwave, kettle, plates, cup and saucers...very convenient to use.
Free Wifi and breakfast. Very good security system...need to use your card key to get the lift moving.
McDonalds Starbucks Ramen etc many eateries, conveniece shops....Ikebukuro Station has connection to Shibuya Shinjuku Ginza Tokyo...etc
We stayed for seven days...everday we will go to reception and asked them about the train fare from point A to B....and requests for maps to be printed...and staff are always helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple