“Not as good as Ikebukuro Kita-guchi 1” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro Kita-guchi 2

Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro Kita-guchi 2
Ranked #24 of 55 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Singapore, Singapore
“Not as good as Ikebukuro Kita-guchi 1”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

Inn No.2 is just a minute walk from Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro Kita-guchi No.1. I have done a reviewed on No.1. Please read my full review there. The difference between these two are the rooms are generally smaller in Inn No.2 as compared to No.1.

I happened to stay in a single room that is so small that there is hardly any walking room. My business partner was luckier as he got a bigger single room. The room door swings outward to the hallway is because the room is small. Apart from this, Toyoko Inn maintain its standard as a high quality budget hotel. I still enjoyed my stay despite this small set back. My advise is to book in Inn No.1 first and to only go for Inn No.2 unless there is no room available in the earlier.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniel S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights on arrival in Tokyo. It is about 10 minutes easy walking from Ikebukuro railway station with lots of restaurants and convenience stores nearby. Rooms are small but have everything a business or budget traveller needs - free Wi-fi, in room safe, TV/radio, free (Japanese style only) breakfast. The beds are very firm. We also stayed in Toyoko Inn hotels in Kyoto, Yokohama, and Hiroshima on this trip and found each to be similar except 2 did not have the in room safe.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

This 14 storey block has no Dining Room in the accepted sense and there's no Bar. But then, the only meal served is breakfast which is Japanese and perfectly adequate. It's largely a business hotel with a smattering of tourists and more fill it up at the weekends. We had Room 328 which was smallish - and wallish (that being the view!) but although sparse on space it was clean and quite sufficient for a short stay in Tokyo. The advantage of this Toyoko hotel (part of a large Japanese chain) is that it'sa short 5 minute walk to Ikebukuro station which offers a gateway to the Subway and the Main Line trains. You can get around this manic city very easily from here. There's a good choice of restaurants in the three large shopping malls / stores at the station but, as there are very few English menus, I advise you to bone up on your identification of the plastic-plated food window displays to accurately identify the meal of your choice!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

I recommend this place because of good neighborhood, close to JR Yamanote line. They offer free breakfast, everyday cleaning and wifi everywhere! I am very satisfied with this choice!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank miloshi
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

It is closed to ikebukuro station. Around is japanese atmosphere. Life, good restaurants.

• Stayed March 2012
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I reserved semi-double room for 4 days when I stayed in Tokyo. Semi-double room is small but
is a good value (Stay from March 15 to March 19 and pay only 28,500 yen if you apply for international member card) Breakfast is very simple so do not expect too much. If you are sensitive to the noise, you may want to avoid room 419 because it close to the elevator and people tend to speak loudly when they wait elevators. Overall, my wife and I love this hotel because of its location and price. However, sleeping quality is not good here.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms nearby elevators.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

I chose Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro 2 as its location was cheaper than the Toyoko Inns at Shinagawa, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro 1, and it was on the Yamanote line and very near for me to visit Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku (the nearer these places are, the less the trains will eat up the value on our suica) and make a day trip to Hakone (we bought the Hakone Free Pass). We spent our first 5 nights based in Tokyo as we did not activate our 21-day Japan Rail (JR) pass yet.

Also, I had wanted to stay at a hotel that’s walking distance from a JR station, as the day I check out will be the day I activate our JR Pass, and I want to be able to use the JR Pass right away and not have to pay for train rides in Tokyo with my suica any more.

Good – good variety of breads for breakfast. This Toyoko Inn had the best variety of breads among the 12 Toyoko Inns we stayed at.

Bad – there was some form of discrimination. As it rained after breakfast, there were umbrellas sold in the hotel lobby for 300Y (dark blue with wood handle). I saw the Japanese clientele – Japanese business travelers which is Toyoko Inn’s core customer base (otherwise they won’t be termed a business hotel) go up to the reception counter, say something to the lady and she disappeared into a room behind the counter and returned with an umbrella (the cheap transparent kind you can get for 100Y at 100Y shops) and handed it to the Japanese business traveler. I saw this happen three times in less than a minute and tried my luck too. She said no, I need to buy one. So I bought one, just one, and later we headed to a 100Y shop to buy enough umbrellas for all 6 of us.

Bad – I wanted to print some notes using the printer that all Toyoko Inns have at the lobby for hotel guests to use. But there was no paper. I asked for some, and they asked how many. Plucking a figure at the spur of the moment, I just said 10, and the lady said I could only have 5. Gosh, at ALL the other 11 Toyoko Inns we stayed at subsequently, nothing of this sort happened. There was usually paper at the printer, and even when there wasn’t enough, they did not ration it out like that.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family