“Good budget option”

Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro Kita-guchi 2
Ranked #24 of 56 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I chose Toyoko Inn Ikebukuro 2 as its location was cheaper than the Toyoko Inns at Shinagawa, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro 1, and it was on the Yamanote line and very near for me to visit Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku (the nearer these places are, the less the trains will eat up the value on our suica) and make a day trip to Hakone (we bought the Hakone Free Pass). We spent our first 5 nights based in Tokyo as we did not activate our 21-day Japan Rail (JR) pass yet.

Also, I had wanted to stay at a hotel that’s walking distance from a JR station, as the day I check out will be the day I activate our JR Pass, and I want to be able to use the JR Pass right away and not have to pay for train rides in Tokyo with my suica any more.

Good – good variety of breads for breakfast. This Toyoko Inn had the best variety of breads among the 12 Toyoko Inns we stayed at.

Bad – there was some form of discrimination. As it rained after breakfast, there were umbrellas sold in the hotel lobby for 300Y (dark blue with wood handle). I saw the Japanese clientele – Japanese business travelers which is Toyoko Inn’s core customer base (otherwise they won’t be termed a business hotel) go up to the reception counter, say something to the lady and she disappeared into a room behind the counter and returned with an umbrella (the cheap transparent kind you can get for 100Y at 100Y shops) and handed it to the Japanese business traveler. I saw this happen three times in less than a minute and tried my luck too. She said no, I need to buy one. So I bought one, just one, and later we headed to a 100Y shop to buy enough umbrellas for all 6 of us.

Bad – I wanted to print some notes using the printer that all Toyoko Inns have at the lobby for hotel guests to use. But there was no paper. I asked for some, and they asked how many. Plucking a figure at the spur of the moment, I just said 10, and the lady said I could only have 5. Gosh, at ALL the other 11 Toyoko Inns we stayed at subsequently, nothing of this sort happened. There was usually paper at the printer, and even when there wasn’t enough, they did not ration it out like that.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed here again during another trip to Tokyo. Now with the NEX travelling directly to the Ikebukuro Station, it makes travel to Narita easier.
Planning for the trip is also easy as they do not charge you once you make the reservation. They only charge you once you arrived. Ladies get a set of welcome gift.

Room is small but clean and now has WIFI in the room as well. Rooms are not exactly sound proof. You can hear the phone ringing next door and footsteps from the corridor.
Do opt for the Eco plan if you do not need to have daily cleaning. The Eco plan deducts 300 yen from the daily room rate and it actually is not a bad thing if you don't plan to leave the hotel early everyday. They will clean the room every alternate day. And you don't have to vacate the room at 10am every morning for the housekeepers to clean your room.

Hotel comes with a free breakfast which is served from 7 - 930am. Definitely try the egg mayo sandwich. This is the best egg mayo sandwich I have ever tasted.

Room Tip: Do join as a member if the member fee rate of 1500 yen offers a costs saving with the total room rat...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Angie O
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Am still staying here and have found numerous bedbug bites all over my legs, the only part of my body not covered when I'm sleeping. The room looks really clean, so I'm shocked that this happened. Have never encountered bed bugs before so have no idea what to do about it. The hotel did change my room but I wonder if that will stop the bugs from getting to my house when I eventually go h

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Close to the Ikebukuro station, free internet. We found the hotel with only a little wandering. They don't always turn on the lighted hotel name sign at night, we discovered the next day, when we had a hard time finding it again. The breakfast was filling, but repetitious. They served the same thing every day. I found the repeated choruses of "ohiyo gozaimasu" from the servers pretty entertaining.

This hotel seems to be mostly aimed at the Japanese salaryman or small family and should have been fine. However, our experience is that they've started letting in some of the "street trade" from the nearby area. Two nights out of four we had noise problems. On our first night, a party of 4 checked in next door and by 11 pm were in the midst of a loud drinking party, waking us up. My husband went to the desk and asked to be moved, which we quickly were. On the last night we were again awakened at 3 am by some guy having loud headboard-banging sex with two women right against our shared wall. I don't care about what other people get up to, but we really don't appreciate the noise waking us up.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed for two nights at the end of our trip to Japan. Great to be able to get the Narita Express from Ikebukuro Station (an easy walk away). Hotel and room rather basic, but everything fine. And good to have free internet via a cable in your room. The road is probably the closest Tokyo gets to a "dodgy area", which really isn't that close. The eating floors (11 to 15, I think) of the big shopping centre at the station (Tobu) are worth a looking round and serve good food at a variety of prices.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2011

It is just within walking distance from the North Exit of the Ikebukuro station. Staff can speak little English and service is great. No frills but have everything you need. Free internet in the room and there are computers provided in the lobby. Room rate comes with breakfast. It has sandwiches, onigiri, noodles, miso soup, juice and bread (may vary a little). Just be sure to be early for breakfast as when it runs out, it runs out.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2011

i have been staying with the toyoko inn group for all my trips in japan and it never fails to disappoint me. even though the room is small but it meets all my basic requirements from my budget to the service.

- clean & neat room.
- toilet was good too.
- free internet
- free breakfast. i loved their breakfast!! great onigiri, pasta salad & miso soup prepared by the obsans!

this particular branch is awesome too! the location is good, about 5min walk to the station - ikebukuro north. ikebukuro has almost everything. there's also narita express that goes straight to the station. also, being a chinese, i'm able to communicate well with the staff there as there will be at least one chinese working there..

overall, i'll def be back here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends