“Cozy & Considerate”

Tokyo House Ikebukuro
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
“Cozy & Considerate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I am happy to make the right choice. House Ikebukuro are near with the JR station, easy to find.
Its really a japanese house and we are great to experience the life style of japan.
there's are free coffee, tea & bread provided inside the Annex room, and free service of washing & dry machine.
you will never worried about your meal because you can found any restaurant or convenient shop few step away from your homestay.
not sure about the owner are china or taiwan nationality, we can communicate well in mandarin.
I definitely will be back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Although I saw the House at Googles map, I was surprised when I first saw it because it really was a house! The check in was prompt by a male staff who had a good command of English. Our room, if I may quote my daughter was extremely cute. The TV and the deskstop did not work but it did not bother us as the wifi was great and besides all the TV stations were in Japanese. What was really very nice was we had a kitchen and our fridge was stocked with jams which perplexed us initially but later in the afternoon they delivered bread in our room which was really very good and filling. The beds were comfortable and the room always immaculately clean whenever we arrive at night.
The location was excellent. There were lots of convenience shops and restaurants. The subway station was just a 5 minute walk from the House. The place itself is very quiet and most of the guests during our stay were students from japan and Taiwan who were well behaved and courteous unlike the rowdy and boisterous ones we often encounter in Western countries.
The transport system in Tokyo might be very intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it you will find out how easy it to get around the city and marvel at the efficiency of the Japanese. For those who have a lot of baggage in tow, I would suggest they take the Limousine bus instead of the train from the airport. They drop you off the Metropolitan hotel which is about a 10 minute walk to the House and its a pleasant stroll since you get entertained by the different shops and malls that abound in the place. Overall I should say this will be my base in Tokyo if I visit it again in the near future. Great time for the family!

Room Tip: The annex if you are traveling as a family.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rdcjMD
Penang, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I book this place about a month before my trip. They only had rooms for 3 of the 4 nights I am staying in Tokyo. They provided names to a few other ryokan's near by. But about a week before my trip, they were able to confirm for all of the 4 nights. We only spent 10k Yen per person for 4 nights.

The location is great as it was very close to the JR station. I was so surprise as it was just a few minutes walk. House is closer to the Metro than JR station, so if is great if you have the Metro pass, it will save you a few minutes walk to the JR station.

The most memorable for us at House was the Free Bread Breakfast. Though it was just bread, butter and assorted array of Jams, it was something that we look forward to every morning. The loaf of breads are thick cut and just 1-2 slice is enough to fill the stomach. Some guest toast the bread and the hallway will smell of bread in the morning, a warm feeling to wake up to.

Initially, we thought we would have problems with the toilet outside the rooms, but we found that there were enough toilets and showers for everyone. There were no queue. For shower, shower gel, shampoo and facial wash was provided. Toothpaste was also provided. Its always clean.

The rooms came with towels and toothbrush, one futon bed, pillow and blanket for each customer. The rooms have enough room for bags and that's it. Similar to other ryokans that I have stayed before in Tokyo. There is a small flat screen TV in the room as well. You will not be bored. We had good night sleep almost all the 4 nights, except for one night where the upstairs guest came back late and noisy foot steps were bothering us. Best to ask for room upstairs to avoid this.

There are 2 computers available for those who wants to surf web or Facebook. The computer in the kitchen has a printer which was useful for us to print our boarding pass. It was free. The kitchen are fully equip, and some guest cooks there. We use the refrigerator to store fruits and cool beers that we bought. We also used the washing machine everyday and this helps us to keep our baggage light as we were able to wash and dry the clothes on daily basis.

Come to think of it, this place does feels like a House, rather than a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for Upstairs room to avoid foot steps sound from upstairs late at night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KewLAng
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

My friend had booking from Thailand , their staff can speak Thai and she was very nice, hlepful. When we arrived Ikebukuro station, she picked us from the JR station and just only 10 mins walk to apartment. Apartment was not shown in website but near to JR station than house of Ikebukuro.

This place was very convenient to travel around Tokyo by JR or MRT, their neighborhood was great with many ramen shop, entertainment complex, department store and also Limousin to Haneda airport

*Cash only and do not expect too much about their service or whatever,there's guest house not five star hotel and it is "Tokyo" this place is very value for money and very convenient for us.

Room Tip: *Cash only * Apartment is near JR station than house * Take Limousin to Haneda air port (just 1 ho...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank OakSomwong
Penang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

My wife wasn't feeling good about having a room without attached bathroom (since there's none available during my time of reservation). But upon arriving, checking upon our room, it all just look so nice. The shared bathrooms were very very clean and it all just look so tidy and neat. My wife just gave the nods to stay for 3 nights. The best thing about Tokyo House is that they provide free laundry with the washing machine and drying machine located outside at the backyard. And they also provide free breakfast (breads and toasts). Room size are big. It's just value for money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank choihb
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

Stayed twice at THI.. The place is operated by a Taiwanese, great for mandarin-speaking tourists. Nearest JR station is Ikebukuro JR station, approx 10 mins walk away. The neighbourhood is quiet but feels safe. Rooms are decent and value for money. The shared bathrooms are spotless, convenient to use. For the price you are paying, this is probably one of the best deals in Tokyo.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

i and my husband and kid age 11 only cost 6300yen/per night. This is the best deal I can find in Tokyo.
Mrs Chen is extremely helpful. My husband's back has injury and she helped us with the luggage and add additional bedding. It is easy to communicate in Chinese with Mrs Chen and the staff. If I stayed at a Japanese accommodations, I may have a hard time to make my request. Since not all japanese can speck fluent English
They also provide free bread and coffee in the morning and free internet
You also have free access to washingand drying machine
I have nothing to complain except one tourist went inside the public washroom to smoke
and he should go outside to smoke ,not in the property

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family