“Can't recommend enough”

the b tokyo ikebukuro
Ranked #7 of 56 Hotels / Ryokan in Toshima
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Absolutely fantastic budget hotel in a brilliant location. Ikebukuro is often overlooked by travel guides, but it's a great little part of Tokyo - not overly busy, some great restaurants and bars, and great connections to the rest of Tokyo (it's on the Yamanote loop line - even better to use if you have a JR pass).

The hotel is 5 minutes from the station (south exit, turn right, keep walking past the McDonalds). Really welcoming staff, free coffee and very clean. The room is small, like most Japanese hotels, but the space is well utlised so you don't really notice it. No Wi-Fi, but a LAN cable is provided to access the internet.

I highly recommend this hotel for doing Tokyo on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsT28
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b tokyo ikebukuro, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Dirgette

Thank you for choosing the b ikebukuro and for taking the time to post your review.
We are pleased to read your experience – you are right – Ikebukuro is such a convenient and fun area for travelers. We only have WiFi available in the lobby at the moment; however, we are working on installing it to be available in each and every room. Free LAN will still be available as well.
Thank you again for your review. Please come back and see us again!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Location is very good,near the JR station and lively neighborhood, breakfasts were very delicious, the hotel would have been fine from many aspects.

But the first day when I arrived hotel, I found an underwear in my room, it was lying under the desk, and that was not mine.I was shocked and called the FO to come and help me, the staff has apologized for what's happened, but my mom and I feel very uncomfortable.

I am also working at the hotel in Taiwan, and I just can't believe it !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Thank The Ambassador ... 台
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b tokyo ikebukuro, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear The Ambassador

Thank you for your comment and we are pleased you liked many aspects of your stay.

We are, however, very sorry for the situation you were in while staying at the hotel.
We take your comments very seriously and have taken the matter up with our external housekeeping company. This is not something that we have experienced before at the hotel, and sincerely apologize to you and your mother.

We will certainly take steps to make sure this does not happen again.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Having lived in Tokyo before, I was picky about my hotel location and understood the room would be small. I stayed here for about a week and it was better than my expectations! The location is great! In the heart of Tokyo, near shopping, dinning, and a major train station. You can catch an express train straight from Narita, which is convenient especially if you have a lot of luggage. Also, the hotel restaurant has great Italian food and wonderful breakfast! Room was clean and larger than expected, and the price was unbeatable. I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Maderrell
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b tokyo ikebukuro, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Hi Maderrell

Thank you for choosing the b ikebukuro and for taking the time to share your experience.

We are beyond pleased to know your experience exceeded your expectations! Please come back and see us again. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My first time writing review for this hotel but I've actually stayed in this hotel 3 times before!!
Hotel is located a few minutes walk away from Ikebukuro JR Station East Exit, pretty easy to find.
On 7/F there is coined washing machines which can minimize your laundry fees.
Hotel included breakfast is a kind of continental style (not Japanese style), should be easily accepted by most people.
Inside the room, it's well cleaned, and plenty of space for your luggages. One worldwide traveling adapter pre-mounted on table, you won't feel bad even you forgot to bring your own. Only cable internet is available in room, be sure to bring your own broadband router if multiple devices need to access internet (which is pretty common for hotels in Japan).
BTW if you are trying to make reservation on their official website, be sure to view by "room type" but not "package type", most of the time you can get a cheaper price (but I don't actually see any difference other than price)
P.S. I've got free room upgrade (to the biggest room type) during my 3rd stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EdwardWong

Hi EdwardWong

Thank you for being a loyal guest of the b ikebukuro and for taking the time to write your review.

Our breakfast buffet offers both Japanese and Western items everyday. Currently WIFI is only available in the lobby area and the Internet via LAN is available in all rooms; however, we are working towards getting the WIFI available in rooms as this is one of the most frequent requests we receive.

Please come back upon your return to Ikebukuro. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

5 mins walk from Ikebukuro station. Room is small (so as the bed) but well kept, clean and modern. Very helpful staff. We stayed for 4 nights.

Free wifi available at the lobby and free internet access at room. We bring our own wifi router this is a great help as we could use out smart phone at our room, no need to go down to lobby.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b tokyo ikebukuro, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Lunasolhk

Thank you for choosing the b ikebukuro for your Tokyo home and for sharing your experience at the hotel. We are happy to hear you find our room well kept, clean and modern as we try hard to keep it that way! Thank you for your compliment about our staff – I will be sure to share it with them. Please come back and see us again. We look forward to welcoming you!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Very neat hotel in Ikebukuro neighborhood. Great breakfast, internet only in the lobby but free.
Very nice staff, helped me to call local Japanese agency and figure out few issues.
The rooms are very small and the bathroom is almost like a small capsule you walk into but its all neat, modern and clean. Lots of businessmen walking around.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
IshinHotels, Manager at the b tokyo ikebukuro, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear Be_Melodyy

Thanks for choosing the b ikebukuro and taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

We are currently in the process of installing wi-fi in the guest rooms for all the b hotels - this project will take a couple of months, but hopefully it will all be installed at the b ikebukuro before your next visit.

In the meantime, we do offer complimentary internet via LAN cable in the rooms, and wi-fi in the lobby, along with computers for your use free of charge in the lobby.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Area Hotel Manager

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My first time in Japan and I stayed at The b - Ikebukuro. I chose this b/c it was in a great, convenient location and I really liked the modern, contemporary design of the place. I usually temper my expectations as photos online do not always match the actual property but the b actually looked better in person than online.

The rooms are shockingly small but considering it is Tokyo, the culture shock quickly wore off. The rooms are very well kept and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was one of the most efficiently organized/utilized space I've had the pleasure of using.

The hotel is w/in 2-3 short blocks (1-2 minutes) from the Ikebukuro train station and is easily accessible. There are many shopping options in the vicinity and there is even a restaurant/bar on site (2nd floor). For more dining options, there is an izakaya in the basement level of the building.

The staff is varied on their English skills but there wasn't anything too major that needed deep translation. There are ample literature that explains the hotel details.

There is a laptop in the lobby that serves as a business center. There is no WIFI in the building and I hope they add WIFI in the future. That added feature would really make this hotel shine. There is, however, free wired internet in the rooms. Overall, I would highly recommend staying here. The location is perfect and the amenities are excellent.

Room Tip: The hotel is in very close walking distance from the Ikebukuro train station. I stayed there in Dece...