“Really nice”

Book In Advance
More Info
$114.93*
and up
Private Asakusa, Tsukiji Fish Market and Sumo Stable Tour Including Water Bus...
More Info
$804.85*
and up
Private Tokyo Custom Full-Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle
Ranked #1 of 222 things to do in Sumida
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This property is temporary closed from October 1st, 2017 to March 31st, 2018 due to renovation. This fascinating museum displays artifacts and architecture that tell a tale of Tokyo's history. Exhibits include replicas of historical Kabuki theatre and the original Edo Castle.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

It's really big museum we were there for 2 and a half hours and it's really amazing everything is written in English too and if you are interested in Japan history this is a place you must visit :-)

2  Thank Martina I

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I really love history, so this place was a must see
I stayed in Shiodome so an easy Station to Station trip, traveling on the Tokyo Subway is cool, be careful with the ticketing though
The Museum is just around the corner from the Ryogoku station and well signposted
When you walk in, for me the size and scope, was Wow!!
Not busy so got a Volunteer Guide to show me around, her English was quaint and she was totally sweet, her love and pride for the Museum was very apparent, a pleasant hour or so
Probably not necessary but as not much English on the labels, it made the visit more enjoyable , The bridge was cool, especially underneath
The Theatre was a must, the actor on the day was a riot, my Japanese is tourist only but his performance was so funny it transcended language
The life in the city exhibits were informative and well presented, especially the infrastructure bits
I could rattle on, but I won't
If you are interested in history, go

1  Thank blacktownboy
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

On October 1st the entrance is free for everyone because of the holiday. I will take about 1-2 hours to see everything.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The museum is easily accessible via public transportation. It is housed in an interesting futuristic building. We took a break from touring the museum to have tasty lunch in one of the three (or more?) Restaurants within the complex.
We only visited the permanent collection of artifacts and dioramas related to the history of Tokyo. My wife and I were fascinated by the manuscripts, textiles, weapons and other items which have survived and been preserved through the centuries. Dioramas were used to illustrate the architecture, clothing and lifestyle of the various classes of citizens of ancient Edo period. The dioramas and supporting items also illustrate the growth of the city through its early life. A guide was not immediately available when we arrived but that did not interfere with our enjoyment of the museum. Many of the exhibits had descriptions in English as well as Japanese. The museum is very engaging visually but has only a few interactive exhibits. It would not be of interest or suitable for younger children. It has several small gift shops.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Simple, but very visual permanent exhibition. There are volunteer guides available in English, and on the day I visited there were guides in German and French. When I stopped by the desk no other tourists were there, so I got a personal guide who talked nonstop for 2 hours. Without guide it wouldn't be the same. I think it's a perfect way to learn and understand Tokyo's history. If you travel with kids it's a must.

2  Thank Travlr_IL