“Good price, decent location, but not satisfied”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Asakusa Smile

and 1 more site!
Asakusa Smile
Ranked #9 of 15 Specialty lodging in Sumida
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Good price, decent location, but not satisfied”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights and will say it is probably good for younger crowds. We had stayed in a 4 bedroom, shared bath. The beds are fairly comfortable, but could use a mattress upgrade. Limited power outlets. The rooms were tiny (OK for Japan size). Bathrooms/shower were okay. Hot water and pressure was good, but a little dirty and smelly. Definitely not walkable to most sites, but subway is very convenient over the bridge. We hung out at the bar to use our free drink voucher, which was okay but not very sociable. The staff can be abrupt and the cash deposit thing was a pain. Taking shoes off by the lobby was not safe (someone had shoes lost/stolen while we were there). The computer room was a nice touch, but always crowded. It was also the only place you might even be able to get a decent WiFi connection. Overall, the price is one of the cheapest around, the beds are fairly comfortable, and near subway.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hostel did not feel very clean and I couldn`t wait to leave. The doona`s are a horrible yellowed colour and they only give you a fitted sheet to put over it so most of it is still showing. Bathrooms smelt unpleasant and the rooms were very noisy at night as the walls are paper thin. Although this hostel has a bar it is closed until 7 and has no atmosphere whatsoever. The staff, however, were very nice and helpful when they could understand our Japanese!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FrankieBH

Travelers are raving about these Sumida hotels

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stay at the new Asakusa Smile Guesthouse called Bekkan, just about 10 minutes walk from the original Smile and the Asakusa trainstation, then you got the homey place to rest during your stay in Tokyo (^^) it's near the famous Asahi Building and the Tokyo Skytree!

Room Tip: rooms on the third floor were more comfy
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank neko_de_cho
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights in an 8-bed dorm room on the 4th floor. For 1500 yen a night, this place is one of the cheapest you can find around Tokyo area. The place is old but clean enough for a pleasant stay. The only complain I have is the lack of shower facilities, which means that you will be going up and down the floors to shower. And the men's shower on the 2nd floor can't be locked, which rendered it useless. It's not too far from the station, a pleasant 10-minute walk. Close to Sensonji Temple and the Skytree.

I strongly recommend this place as it is affordable for penny pinchers like myself. But you get what you pay for, a bed and a place to bunk for the night, definitely not a 3-star hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alexacsf
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed November 24, 2012

For me, this hostel is the worst one I've ever stayed. We had 6 people altogether and stayed for 3 nights. The room was quite dirty and we could smell of smoking all the time from inside our room. The toilets on the third floor couldn't be locked, and the bathrooms, too. No shampoo and shower gels provided (if compared to other cheaper hostels I stayed.) Oh and I found a cockroach in the bathroom, too. Sooo I couldn't find any good reason to choose to this hostel again if we come back to Tokyo.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is by far the worst hostel where I stayed. My intention was to book Kahosan Smile, which is also in Asakusa area, taking names so similar, I got confused and booked the wrong place.

The only good thing is that the room was spacious and location is OK.

We found cockroaches!!!! in the bar, in the kitchen and up the stairs.

The atmosphere of people, was not what you would find in a backpackers hostel and I think as a result, the common spaces gave a bit of disgust. The bathrooms were dirty and often people smoked inside. I have never stayed in a hostel where people do not respect the "no smoking". Although the hostel was full of posters with "no smoking", this happened and alsowe think that people wh did were friends of the staff.

Another very bad thing is that somebody took things into our bags, our laggages were locked, but we left in the closet some bags of candy we bougth for gifts and souvenir and ....they disappeared. There were lockers (small) to leave your stuff, leaving a deposit, I did not ask because they are not in the room and there was nothing of great value, and never thought that someone stole some candy ... I have never felt the needed to hide my stuff in any hostel! It's amazing! (very bad atmoshear of people again)

Beds: worst impossible, super super thin mattresses, wood dug all the bones and you woke up like broken body, the bunk beds were old and sounded and moved a lot when someone climbed into the top bunk.

The WiFi did not reach all rooms and computers in comon areas worked really bad

Ah! Also very bad atmosphere created byt the wall was full of papers and threatening bans: do not do this or call the police, or ... do not smoke, because we're watching you by the videocamera .....what kind of hostel is it? never seen!

I know that for 15 euros a night can not ask for much, but I've been in many hostels at that price (my first night in Tokyo and Kyoto, khaosan chain) and the difference is incredible, for the same price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Arann30
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We thought we were staying in the main building of the hostel but upon arrival we were redirected to an annexe building which immediately gave the hostel a fragmented feeling. There were quite a lot of signs telling you not to do certain things- don't keep the aircon on, remove your shoes rather than any encouraging notices. Our room was also quite small and dark- until night fell and street lighting shone through our unshuttered bedroom window. The hostel was in a good location, within walking distance of the subway but I would probably stay somewhere else on a return visit to Tokyo

Room Tip: Ask to be placed on the first floor rather than the ground floor as there was a lot of coming and go...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sumida
Hotel MyStays Asakusa
Tokyo Hutte
#3 of 15 in Sumida
Oak Hostel Fuji
#2 of 15 in Sumida

Been to Asakusa Smile? Share your experiences!