Hotels.com
eDreams
ZenHotels.com
Destinia.com
StayForLong
All reviews narita airport would stay here again easy access annex neighborhood
Selected filters
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 nights in an 8-bed dorm room on the 4th floor. For 1500 yen a night, this place is one of the cheapest you can find around Tokyo area. The place is old but clean enough for a pleasant stay. The only complain I have is the lack of shower facilities, which means that you will be going up and down the floors to shower. And the men's shower on the 2nd floor can't be locked, which rendered it useless. It's not too far from the station, a pleasant 10-minute walk. Close to Sensonji Temple and the Skytree.

I strongly recommend this place as it is affordable for penny pinchers like myself. But you get what you pay for, a bed and a place to bunk for the night, definitely not a 3-star hotel.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank alexacsf
Reviewed November 25, 2012

For me, this hostel is the worst one I've ever stayed. We had 6 people altogether and stayed for 3 nights. The room was quite dirty and we could smell of smoking all the time from inside our room. The toilets on the third floor couldn't be locked, and the bathrooms, too. No shampoo and shower gels provided (if compared to other cheaper hostels I stayed.) Oh and I found a cockroach in the bathroom, too. Sooo I couldn't find any good reason to choose to this hostel again if we come back to Tokyo.

Date of stay: November 2012
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is by far the worst hostel where I stayed. My intention was to book Kahosan Smile, which is also in Asakusa area, taking names so similar, I got confused and booked the wrong place.

The only good thing is that the room was spacious and location is OK.

We found cockroaches!!!! in the bar, in the kitchen and up the stairs.

The atmosphere of people, was not what you would find in a backpackers hostel and I think as a result, the common spaces gave a bit of disgust. The bathrooms were dirty and often people smoked inside. I have never stayed in a hostel where people do not respect the "no smoking". Although the hostel was full of posters with "no smoking", this happened and alsowe think that people wh did were friends of the staff.

Another very bad thing is that somebody took things into our bags, our laggages were locked, but we left in the closet some bags of candy we bougth for gifts and souvenir and ....they disappeared. There were lockers (small) to leave your stuff, leaving a deposit, I did not ask because they are not in the room and there was nothing of great value, and never thought that someone stole some candy ... I have never felt the needed to hide my stuff in any hostel! It's amazing! (very bad atmoshear of people again)

Beds: worst impossible, super super thin mattresses, wood dug all the bones and you woke up like broken body, the bunk beds were old and sounded and moved a lot when someone climbed into the top bunk.

The WiFi did not reach all rooms and computers in comon areas worked really bad

Ah! Also very bad atmosphere created byt the wall was full of papers and threatening bans: do not do this or call the police, or ... do not smoke, because we're watching you by the videocamera .....what kind of hostel is it? never seen!

I know that for 15 euros a night can not ask for much, but I've been in many hostels at that price (my first night in Tokyo and Kyoto, khaosan chain) and the difference is incredible, for the same price.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Arann30
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We thought we were staying in the main building of the hostel but upon arrival we were redirected to an annexe building which immediately gave the hostel a fragmented feeling. There were quite a lot of signs telling you not to do certain things- don't keep the aircon on, remove your shoes rather than any encouraging notices. Our room was also quite small and dark- until night fell and street lighting shone through our unshuttered bedroom window. The hostel was in a good location, within walking distance of the subway but I would probably stay somewhere else on a return visit to Tokyo

Room tip: Ask to be placed on the first floor rather than the ground floor as there was a lot of coming and going being located near the front door
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We must have been staying at a different hostel to a few of the reviewers on here as our experience was quiet different. The asakusa smile is in a great area of Tokyo but it is a hostel so you should not expect luxery. The rooms are very basic and small and the ladders to the bunks are a bit dodgy also the pillows need renewing along with the sheets but they were not dirty. We did not get bitten. There is free use of the computers, the showers are adequate and the toilets were clean. We did not experience any smoke problems in fact the hostel is non smoking except for a small area of the bar. The bar closed before 1am in the morning.

Our 18 year old son left his very nice camera in the bar area one night and it was handed to the barman who returned it to us the following day. Most japanese people are very honest and asakusa is a very safe area as is most of Tokyo and Japan. There are free safety deposit boxes that you can use although it is probably other travellers that you need to be careful of, not the staff.

The kitchen area is its main downfall due to the lack of cutlery and cups but we bought our own at the 100 yen shop also you may need to buy your own cooking oil, 100 yen shop again or lawsons just down the road. Lawsons is very good for most things that you may need and the beer is much cheaper. There is also a bit of a problem with the cleaning staff who may be chinese or phillipino, they do take over the kitchen and cook large meals at times but they are pleasant enough. They also take up most of the fridge as well.

Don' bother with the hostel washing machine and dryer as it will take all night to get your washing dry, use the launderette next to the onsen just down the road before Lawsons, it is much more efficient.

Although the hostel is very basic we would stay there again just for thr pleasant location and remember that this is Tokyo and accomodation can be very expensive so if you are on a budget this is not a bad place to stay.

Date of stay: July 2012