“Easy Access by Shuttle Bus”
Review of Tokyo Skytree

Ranked #2 of 224 things to do in Sumida
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed June 16, 2013

It's a special subway station for the Sky Tree but you have to change subway lines. For foreign visitors, it's more convenient to take the Tobu Shuttle Bus for about 23 minutes ride. The bus stop is at Ueno railway station, near the National Museum of Western Art.
I visit it on Friday but it's still many visitors. I queue 45 minutes for ticket and wait 25 minutes for the elevator to the Tembo Deck. If you don't mind to give Yen 1000 more to the Tembo Galleria, it's less crowded. To me, the Sky Tree is another city tower, not so special (maybe the crowded visitors and long queuing minimize my interests).

1  Thank KathleenHK
Write a ReviewReviews (6,261)

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Highest point is 461 metres. Have to pay extra to go to the highest level. Interesting spiral walk way at the top. Fees are pricey. Fairly long queue on an off peak weekday. Cannot imagine on peak periods and weekends. Many shops and restaurants to explore at the shopping mall.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Tokyo Sky Tree was still under construction during my visit in March of 2012, so upon returning a year later- I had a visit to the Sky Tree on my must see list. Now for some reason I thought I could arrive there, get in line and wait a little while and before too long I'd be whisked away upwards toward the heavens. Well...not quite. the Japanese have nearly perfected the concept of queueing, waiting, shepherding and all around crowd control, meaning that when I arrived (on a Thursday) at 12:30 PM I was welcomed by seemingly thousands of others who had shown up. After a bit of wandering around and acclimating to the new surroundings I was instructed to get a reservation card which dictated a time for me to return in order to queue up to actually buy a ticket-whereby I would get in another line before finally being the aforementioned whisked. My time to return: between 3:30 and 4:00-now to kill three plus hours. I'm not complaining about the process, actually its a marvel to witness it in action, otherwise we have a disorganized mess to contend with. Now on previous trips to Tokyo I have had the occasion to visit the Mori tower, the Tokyo Tower, Sunshine 60 building and Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, all with their own observation decks and all offering their own impressive views and other niceties. But the new Sky Tree stands apart-not only is it the new standard in height but since it encompasses all the others (in it's own view) and assumes a sentry position on the east side commanding a presence that the others can't achieve. The view is stunning! The $20.00 (give or take depending on current exchange rates with Yen) to go skyward 350 meters is worthwhile. Orienting oneself to the lay of the land is assisted through the use of maps displayed in the viewer's oriented direction. In addition, some offer virtual displays of Tokyo at various times of the day and year-highlighting the visual fest to the eyes that occur in Tokyo during the 4 seasons. There is even a section that has a glass bottom floor for a direct below view, although it is small and a bit underwhelming as a result, but it does allow for a hint at the actual inner workings of the structure itself. Given its location near the Sumida river it is easy to access from most anywhere in Tokyo, and is certainly recognizable for anywhere in Tokyo as well. For those looking for places to go while in Tokyo-the Sky Tree beckons! Resist at your peril or just visit-you'll be glad you did.

2  Thank irudy
Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you are pressed for time, skip Tokyo Tower and head straight for Tokyo SkyTree, the newest hotspot for tourist and locals!

It's an impressive architectural masterpiece. I couldn't book tickets online and took to queuing for the day ticket to the Temba Deck which was located at 350 meters. The queue was massive but moved quickly and we were able to purchase our tickets within 30 mins.

The 360 degree view of the city was an eye opener, unfortunately it was misty on the day of our visit and we couldn't see Mt Fuji from he deck. It's definitely worth a visit!

You could purchase another ticket at the Temba Deck which will allow you to visit the Temba Gallery which is located at 450meters. For more information on ticket fees go here

You have the option to visit the Sumida aquarium if you are with kids.

Refuel at the Tokyo Solamachi with food and more shopping after the viewing.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We didn't get to the top since the queue was too long. It was a Sunday so the place was packed, so we just hung around the open air deck, browsed the mall and enjoyed a hot choco from the cafe on the deck while looking up to the tower brightly lit on a gloomy early winter afternoon. There is a big souvenir shop on all things Sky Tree on the lower floors of the mall. But in case you want to look for some more affordable ones, the small convenience stores down in the subway station also sell some items bearing Sky Tree logos and pictures.

1  Thank ClaraLeChat