“Tobu Levant”

Tobu Hotel Levant Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels / Ryokan in Sumida
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed in Tobu Levant during our trip in 2009, 2012 and 2013. My family and I loved how comfortable (and affordable) the rooms are. It might not be that luxurious but we still appreciate the comfort it gave us after long walks around Tokyo. The staff are friendly and can speak english. They also have a free shuttle to Tokyo Disney Resort that will save you from the pain of commuting to Chiba and rushing so you'd arrive there early. There's also a mall that's only a 3-minute walk away from the hotel, which is nice because we got to buy groceries and Japan goodies that we took home. Also, there's a restaurant just right outside the hotel that's very affordable, and a 7-11 too for quick midnight snacks. We'll definitely book here again on our next trip to Tokyo.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jea R

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel is smallish in feel with tiny rooms but if you're in the 50% of guests on the Sky Tree side of the hotel you're virtually guaranteed a good view of the Sky Tree just 0.9 miles away. If you have the money, go for either the Corner Twin or, better yet, the Deluxe Twin. Both will have wide double windows and the best views of the Sky Tree. The price will be either 50% more (corner twin) or double (deluxe twin) the price of a standard twin but your experience will be transformed from mundane to ethereal.

Be sure your room faces the ST rather than the train station.

Dinner at the top 24F restaurant Ren is a great choice. Lunchtime, the place looks a bit drab and feels boring absent the enchanted mood the place takes on early evening, or better yet, later when the Sky Tree is enshrouded in darkness, standing out like an enchanted tower in the distance. So dinner is my recommendation. But be sure to reserve a booth table facing the Sky Tree. The counter is less comfortable though with an equal view, and the tables up on the deck make it difficult to peer out at the view. To reserve, the best idea is to go up to the restaurant ahead of time, either lunch or before dinner, and ask the staff to save you one of the 4 or 5 booths with a good view. Staff is very accommodating and anxious to get the big hitters at night (which they anticipate u are if you're taking the trouble to reserve, but don't feel pressured to order something expensive from the mediocre wine list, as the staff is very polite).

The 0.9mile 15 minute walk to the Sky Tree is rather boring, passing through a nondescript neighborhood which could almost be east LA w/o the graffiti. The walk in the summer could have you work up a good sweat so be prepared.

You probably want to take the hotel up on its Sky Tree special passes so u can skip the long lines, but those are pricey. Hey, if you stay in the Deluxe or Corner Twin and plan to see the Tree, u may as well complete your premium package.

This hotel was formerly a Marriott but Tobu took the hotel back as the Sky Tree was coming up. It is disappointing that there really is no better quality hotel in the Sky Tree area at this moment (eg, no room service or pool/exercise facilities), but I suppose the Mandarin Oriental in Nihonbashi offers a fabulous view of the tower from some of its rooms and restaurants facing east with the ST about a 15-minute cab ride away (10 minutes on a Sunday morning). Service and efficiency at the Tokyo Mandarin can be severely lacking at times though and so I avoid that overpriced office bldg-based complex.

Room Tip: Corner twin or deluxe twin will transfor your trip from budget to luxurious though they're 1.5x...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kimo N
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The close location to Kinshicho Station is an advantageous point. As well as Tokyo Sky Tree, the distance to Kokugikan makes me happy during the sumo tournament if I can get a ticket.

People are so friendly, and cuisines are excellent, and they can beat even the top class hotels in Tokyo such as Okura, New Otani, and Park Hyatt.

Room Tip: If you expect gym and swimming pool, go to Okura. Otherwise, Levant Tokyo is highly better.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank KEN S
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My trip to Tokyo was unfortunately brief, but this hotel helped make it a pleasant and successful trip. The staff was courteous and efficient. I checked in late at night after a long flight and the staff quickly got me checked in and into my room.

The room, by my standards was compact, but certainly livable. It was clean and comfortable. One particular thing I liked about the room was the access to power - I travel with a lot of tech and need power. I've been in too many hotels that do a great job of hiding the sockets and making sure they're far away from where you need them.

I do also have to add that the bathtub plumbing was completely incomprehensible to me - quite possibly this was a personal deficiency.

A complementary breakfast was included, but I did not have time to take advantage of it, so I can't talk about the food there.

I was on a high floor on the train station side - others have complained about the noise, but I had no problems with it. I suspect once above the first few floors you'll be ok. The other complaint was the smell. Like in many hotels in Europe and older hotels in the US, the non-smoking floors were converted which tends to leave a rather stale odor. I definitely noticed it here, but at least to me, it wasn't unbearable.

They also seem to have some affiliation with Disney, so roving bands of Disney fans were seen roaming the lobby. If you're going to the DIsney park, this would be a plus.

All in all, I was happy with the hotel, and will probably stay there again when I'm doing business in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the lower floors on the side facing the railway
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank spoggle
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The staff was so friendly, respectful and willing to serve. The hotel is very beautiful. I didnʻt like that there was a smoky air inside, but many places in Japan felt like that. Luckily, we got a non-smoking floor. The view of the Skytree Tower was GREAT from my room. The buffet dinner and breakfast was OVER THE TOP!!! There were so many different foods to choose from. Just about everything that I ate was DELICIOUS. I just wish I had more room in my stomach! =) I liked that it was right next door to the 100 YEN store.

Room Tip: If the smoke smell bothers you, request a non-smoking floor. Ask for a view of the Skytree Tower...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This hotel is located directly at the railway. If you have a room at this side of the hotel
you feel like sleeping on a park bench at the station. Room was old fashioned and stiny (smoker room even none-smoker was booked). For this quality of hotel you will get much better one in Toyko for same price. The only positive thing is the breakfast which was good (for japanese standards) and the entrance hall, where you are welcomed anytime by the page boy.
Service at front desk was not very friendly.
Opposite to the other reviews i would not recommend to stay in this hotel if you don't book the higher room classes at the right side of the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jonas A
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We were a jet lagged group arriving by bus, and the staff at the Tobu Hotel Levant in Tokyo welcomed us with warmth and courtesy, offering us bottles of water as we got off the bus. We felt very well cared for. Any time one of us was seen wandering around looking a little lost, some one was there immediately to assist us. The location is great, near a bus and the Kinshicho train station and next to a mall with a food court, making it easy for even our diverse group to find food to make everyone happy. We could hear the trains during the day and early evening, but they seemed to stop at a reasonable hour and didn't interfere with sleep. I appreciated the deep bath tub after our 13 hour plane ride, and choice of pillows. The mattress was a bit firm for me, but my husband liked it. Kimonos and slippers were waiting for us in our rooms. Across the street is a view of the Sky Tower, and down a block what looks like a Shinto shrine, a little of old and new Japan. The breakfast buffet offers both Western and Asian breakfast choices. I tried a little of each type, and found all the choices to be good. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sumida
Hotel East 21 Tokyo
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
#9 of 78 in Chiyoda

Been to Tobu Hotel Levant Tokyo? Share your experiences!