“My favorite guest house!”
Review of The Koenji

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Suginami
The Koenji
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I stayed here last year in November (sorry for the late review!) for 3 weeks and loved it! Personally, I think it's the best location in Tokyo. The Chuo line was so convenient, there were restaurants and groceries stores everywhere and the best part is the lack of tourists! It does get a little loud over the weekends and the train station is really close (you can hear the announcements) but overall I find it to be a relatively quiet neighborhood for downtown Tokyo. From the Chuo line you can get to Shinjuku (a really big but convenient transfer station), akihabara and Mitaka station (close to my favorite park Inokashira and the Ghibli Museum). I have already booked my next stay here in 2013! Can't wait!

Room Tip: The twin room (bunk beds) is the biggest room. It costs a little more but I hear the double bed room...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kai81212

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed in The Koenji Guesthouse last July, and were very pleased with it.
The place is really small and our room had a double bed, air conditioning and a metal bar to hang our clothes... but it was enough. The price was very good for Japanese standards and you have access to the kitchen, washing machine, wi-fi, etc. The only thing I would suggest is to improve the cleaning, since the shared toilet was not cleaned daily during our stay.
The owner is very kind and answered all our questions and helped us sending our baggage to another part of Japan. I would definitely go back and recommend it for people who are looking for a cheap place to rest.
We didn't have any problems with noises, etc. You could hear the train but it was not a problem.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oconeeNY
Reviewed December 11, 2011

The Koenji is a gem in Tokyo for independent budget travellers. It is located minutes from Shinjuku (the center and main station) on the JR line in a charming, bohemian area with a ton of cheap restaurants. The rooms are very small but comfortable and clean and I found it quite ingenious how everything was laid out to maximize space. The people who own/run the hostel are very responsive. As they are not usually at the guesthouse, this is more suitable for independent travellers. The one issue we had was that as the guesthouse is next to a bar, it does get noisy for the first floor rooms on the weekends. However, I slept fine with earplugs. We also stayed on the top floor, which was very much insulated from noise. Thanks to the Koenji for helping to make our trip affordable and enjoyable!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ahl899
Reviewed June 17, 2011

I asked for a quiet nights sleep and was put in a room above the outside bar which was playing club music until 3 am. Imagine trying to sleep when each kick drum hit pounds away and shakes your entire little room...miserable. I would never stay here again simply because of the noise.

The rooms are clean and nice, but sparse and very tiny. There is no staff on duty which might be a good thing? The location is great if you don't want peace, quiet or sleep...

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Saigonsamurai
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Koenji Guest house is cheaper than sleeping at a manga cafe or in one of those capsule hotels!
The management is some of the nicest people I ever met and that is not even an additional charge - they´re just really awesome.
The only reason I put a 3/5 on "Sleep quality" are my own habits. Koenji in itself seems to be a relaxed and "small" community so if you actually go to sleep at night there should be no problem - even if you live really close to the train tracks. With the AC in your room sleep comes easy.
As the guest house presents all kinds of goodies can be found just outside the door - a couple of minutes walking in any direction from the guest house should result in several diffrent shops or establishments that will serve your needs and pleasures.
If you need to buy clothes or get some food the surrounding streets have pretty much everything. Burgers, Noodles, more or less traditional japanese food in general, italian, curries, persian food and so on. The guest house itself has a kitchen that can do anything that is not to complicated... and getting groceries should be no problem either.

I am beyond thankful for the time i spent in Koenji - and the pricing an service level of the guest house made my entire trip in my opinion!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank daemonkrat
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I was very lucky to stumble across The Koenji when I was searching for a place to spend my two weeks in Tokyo. Though it was partially a business trip, I wanted somewhere that doesn't have the sterile, cold atmosphere of a business/capsule hotel. The Koenji is definitely the opposite end of the spectrum. It felt more like staying at a friend's house (with all amenities) than staying in a hotel. Toshi and Ryusaku are very friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make it a comfortable stay. The rooms are small, but worth more than what you pay. Only tiny negative point is noise from the station but as long as you don't sleep during the day, it's not a problem. Add to this that Koenji is one of the coolest cities of Tokyo and there really is no downside. I have a feeling this place will soon become the kind of place you have to book months and months in advance. Thanks!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank NazNYT
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed for 6 nights at the Koenji Guest House and I would highly recommend this place to you, who are looking for a nice, well-localized place to stay during your trip in Tokyo. Everything has already been well described in the previous posts so I am just going to add that the Koenji station is only about 25 minutes from the Tokyo Central Station and direct. There is wireless access to the internet for free and above all, the team is really great and very friendly! They take care of you. The place is not huge but very cute and you feel like you're are at home but in Tokyo :)
If you want to visit the Ghibli Studio museum it is also convenient because it is on the same train line! And there is a washing machine but no curfew.
About the noise, we had a room with the window on the street, we heard the sounds coming from the street and the station but actually, as you are exhausted after visiting Tokyo the whole day, it doesn't matter and moreover, after leaving the hostel I was missing the melody coming from the station and our small room!
The terrace is really nice and you can let your clothes drying on it even if it is raining because there is a small roof on a small part of it.

There is also a lot of documentation about Tokyo and different guides that you can consult whenever you want.

And it is cheap!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EliseinTokyo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suginami
Hotel Route Inn Tokyo Asagaya
#5 of 6 in Suginami
BnA Hotel Koenji
BnA Hotel Koenji
#1 of 1 in Suginami

Been to The Koenji? Share your experiences!