All reviews shinjuku sanchome station family mart golden gai reception staff walking distance english convenience fridge tokyo kabukicho size jr toiletries underground eateries
Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

This a small, cozy, hotel in Shinjuku, easy to reach from Shinjuku train (JR) andsuway stations. It is quite and calm, in the heart of lively, noisy, good-at-night area, a must-see in Tokyo. They don't have many rooms, so you'd better book in advance. I prefer this kind of not-so-huge-hyper-modern hotel. Actually, more than the hotel itself, the area is very cool! Make sure you take one night to enjoy the Golden Gai (golden gate) area and enter in at least five tiny places with karaoke and drinks. You may be surprised to find excellent finger-food and a remarkable atmosphere, and as Japan may strike a visitor for itsmany temples, gardens, museums, it does strikes us with an amazingly new concept if street fadhion and these sort of Nomiya (places to drink) often with a little karaoke.
They places are not expensive!
Don't be agraid of going inside!!
You are going to be super well treated!!
Go for it and enjoy!!
;-)

Stayed: August 2016, traveled solo
3  Thank LicaCecato
tateshina5271, オーナー at Hotel Tateshina, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2016

Thank you very much for staying with us the other days.
Also I thank you for honest comments about us and Shinjuku town.
It takes about 10 minutes on foot to "Golden Gai", which you commented,
I'm glad to hear that you have a nice experience in Shinjuku town and with us.
We are not big hotel but a small friendly hotel to our guest.
We look forward to see you in the near future.

Nobuo Yanagisawa, Hotel Tateshina

Reviewed June 29, 2016 via mobile

Cheaper than Hotel Listel Shinjuku where I also stayed, which is just a few blocks further away from Shinjuku station. However, the staff at Tateshina were brusque, matter of fact, and factual. I soon realized the primary market for this hotel was the solo JAPANESE male businessman, not necessarily foreigners. There were adult programming brochures in the room, and I believe all rooms were smoking only. I only used the hotel to sleep, the room was more dated than Listel Shinjuku, but everything worked. A plus was that there was a LAN internet connection and the front desk gave me a LAN cable and umbrella to use as it was rainy season.

When I checked out, I asked to see the bill and the non-English speaking agent refused to show it to me. Then someone who spoke English explained that as I booked via a third party (online), that they can't show me the price as it was secret. Really? You can't even tell me the total? Nope. He just pointed to the rack rate room prices on the wall behind the desk and said the price was somewhere around there plus 8% tax and walked away with a fake smile. Hmm... Left with a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

Stayed: June 2016
2  Thank mauiobserver

Thank you for a stay with us.
We're sorry about your brusque feeling for our staff.
We don't treat our guest between foeign guest and Japanese guest.
But some staff is not good at English communication with guest.
So you may feel him as brusquely.
As for the price which you purchased, your reservation has been made from Online Travle Agent (OTA) web site by its originally price.
Because of contract between the OTA and our hotel, we could not tell you the price which
we sell to the OTA.
Our normal price is always indicated on the wall of Reception desk.
Government tax (8%) should be added to every price.

Anyway I thank you for your honest feeling for our hotel.
I'd like to find a way to make use of your suggestion for hotel operation.
Thank you in advance.

Reviewed June 2, 2016

The staff was very helpful, and kind. The rooms and the floors were clean, so i recommend this place for everyone. Not a 5 star hotel, but if you are not a rich person, this place is also perfect. And this hotel is in the middle of Shinjuku so you can go fast everywhere.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled with family
2  Thank Junakimre

Thank you very much for a comment.
I'm glad to hear that you have a good time in Shinjuku area and with us.
I look forward to your next visit in the niear future.

Reviewed April 10, 2016

I booked this hotel as part of a budget package for a week's stay in Tokyo; I'm an artist and was part of an exhibition at the Tokyo Met, so I needed to go, but maintain a budget. I was very pleasantly surprised by Hotel Tateshina. Clean accommodations, quiet, well-maintained and relaxing. The desk staff speak English quite well and are quick to assist if they can. They seemed to be genuinely pleased to have me as a guest, and remembered me every time I returned from an outing. I selected a smoking single western room - small, but not uncomfortable, with a nice private bath and refrigerator. Convenient vending machines. The carafe to heat water in was a big plus - I need that coffee in the morning! In-room wi-fi was also appreciated. Breakfast was very nice indeed, and also a bargain; I recommend the Japanese style (very good). A little knowledge of basic Japanese is helpful, but not necessary. Within short walking distance of Shinjuku Sanchome station and not too far from Shinjuku Station. A comfortable, quiet, and affordable "home base" for my stay. No complaints - I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled solo

Thank you very much for a stay with us.
I also thank you for good comment about our hotel and service.
We're very happy to hear from you.
Also we highly appreciate your patronage and manner during your stay.
We look forward to your next visit in the near future.

sincerely

Nobuo Yanagisawa(Mr)

Reviewed March 28, 2016

For a budget hotel, Tateshina offers great value. The location is great, service at reception is very nice and, surprisingly the room is not as tiny as other rooms in Tokyo. Ours had two beds and enough space for our luggage and even for sitting, which was surprising. The toilet is indeed one of the smallest I´ve ever seen, more reminiscent of an airplane toilet than anything else. The rooms don´t look brand new...but they are clean. And the price of the room, for its size and location, is a rarity in Tokyo. We had an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: March 2016, traveled with friends