“Perfect for us!”
Review of Hotel Tateshina

Hotel Tateshina
Ranked #55 of 83 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We lived there for 2 weeks when we were on a sightseeing trip to Japan.
We thought that the location was good - 5 min walk to the nearest subway entrance (and then another 5 to get to the tracks undergournd), and 12-15 min walk to JR Shinjuku Station. Shinjuku is a good choice when it comes to getting around - many lines go through here.

The hotel staff was friendly, everyone could speak at least a little english and some spoke it very good. They messed up our booking a little but they gave us some cash back. They gave us candy sometimes and they let us leave a suitcase with souvenirs for a whole month, for when we would return for 1 night before flying back to Sweden.

The room was just what we needed - a good bed, a desk, good LAN connection, a bathroom with shower and a small fridge.

They get -1 because of the windows. Cold air came straight into the room, right down on you when you were sleeping. We put a big blanket there to stop it, but the real savior were the AC - we had it on pouring out warm air all night long.

We would stay there again! :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A-K_Sjoberg
tateshina5271, マネージャー at Hotel Tateshina, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Thank you for a long stay with us.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Shinjuku.
I thank you for your patronage even though we missed your booking at first.
Our rooms in Annex building has individual air-conditioning,
so that a guest could adjust a temprature freely.
We offer both cable and wireless iternet access for a guest at free of charge,
so that our guest could get more information from internet during a stay.
We look forward to see you again on May.
Please have a nice round trip in Japan !

Nobuo Yanagisawa, (Manager)

There are newer reviews for Hotel Tateshina

Reviewed April 2, 2012

After researching thoroughly online, we decided to select Tateshina for our Tokyo trip. And boy, it was definitely a good choice. The good service started way beyond our actual stay, where each email / inquiry was responded within 4-5 hours. Mr Nobuo was really helpful and patient in replying to my emails, despite the constant changes and amendments. Upon arrival, we checked in late and a very helpful staff was on duty (I forgot to get his name). We asked him for instructions on getting to DisneySea but he was not sure, surprisingly, he took the effort to look it up for us and even printed the relevant map / transport timetables. The room was spacious enough for 03 persons (for Tokyo standard), and I really liked the fact that the hot water shower was working perfectly, which was really important for cold days! They have complimentary bath salts and toiletries at the reception. Perhaps the only downside for me was the slightly hard-to-find location, as many of my Tokyo friends could not locate it. Other than that, it was perfect! Only 5 mins walk from Shinjuku Sanchome Station, and only 7 minutes walk from eateries and 10 mins walk from never-ending nightlife Kabukicho. However, I felt that the old wing was slightly better than the new wing, as they have in-room facilities such as drinking water and centralised heater. Definitely will stay at Tateshina again should there be a second visit to Tokyo! Thank you so much for the pleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chubimen

Thank you so much for your stay with us.
As you felt and wrote, we locates within 5 minutes from subway Shinjuku Sanchome station
C7 entrance, silent district in the night time.
The width of a room is "Tokyo size", as you wrote, especially bathroom is a small for your
standard.
But we try to have our guest be at home during a stay with us.
We're happy to hear that you enjoyed a stay and have a good experience in Shinjuku town.
I'm looking forward to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed there 5 nights overall (2 nights first, 3 nights later), overall everything was fine, the room was reasonably cheap and clean, although quite small (but it's shinjuku, if you want something big it's going to be fairly expensive). Also the location was quite perfect: just next to the crossing of yasukuni dori and meiji dori, the two big avenues crossing shinjuku. The hotel is basically close to everything, shinjuku station is at a 5-10 minutes walk. The only small downside is that the hotel is very close to kabuki-cho, the redlight district of tokyo, where strange men will try to take you to some hostess bars basically every 5m you walk in the street.
Except from that I enjoyed the hotel very much, there's free wifi and they have a bunch of maps and brochures for travellers. Also, it's a bit specific but Hotel Tateshina is one of the few very good hotels you can stay at if you're planning to practice at the Aikikai Hombu dojo (the hotel is 10-15 minutes away from the dojo, and it's a fairly nice walk to do in the morning).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank plop-kun
tateshina5271, マネージャー at Hotel Tateshina, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your twice stay with our hotel.
As you wrote in your comment, we have many guest who visit Aikikai Hombu Dojo to practice.
It's about 15 minutes on foot to Dojo, I think it will be good way to warm up your body.
We located in silent area of Shinjuku town, little bit away from Kabukicho area.
I'm glad to hear that you have good experience in Shinjuku and Tokyo during your stay.

I wish to meet you again n the near future.
Thank you again.

sincerely

Reviewed February 5, 2012

We have stayed repeatedly at Hotel Tateshina over the last five years, visiting Tokyo three or four times each year. The rooms are quiet and comfortable and the location is extremely convenient: right in the heart of attractive and lively Shinjuku; an easy 15 minutes' walk to and from Shinjuku Station; a few minutes to the closest subway stations and a few more minutes to some of the finest Tokyo department stores (Isetan, Takashimaya, etc.). Access to and from Narita Airport by direct trains ("Narita Express" to and from Shinjuku Station) is a big plus on arrival and departure. Fast and reliable WiFi connection is available at all times in the rooms. And the staff is particularly welcoming, courteous and helpful. We have tried alternative accommodation in that price range in the same neighborhood, but Hotel Tateshina definitely comes first on our list of options.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
tateshina5271, マネージャー at Hotel Tateshina, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Thank you very much for kind comment on our hotel.
We'er very glad to hear that you've a comfortable stay with us for several years.
As you said, we're conveniently located in a lively area of Shinjuku but very quiet .
We have been very encouraged in your kine message.
Looking forward to see you in the near future.
Arigatou Gozaimasu !

Nobuo Yanagisawa(Mr), Manager of Hotel Tateshina.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

I stayed here for one night very briefly after returning to Shinjuku to catch the Narita Express train the next morning.

My single room was absolutely sufficient for what I needed - which was a clean bed and a good shower. The bathroom was very cozy but had everything needed and great water pressure. The bed was comfy but the pillow could have been softer - there was only one pillow and it was quite hard. There was a small kettle, green tea and a mug in the room which was a nice touch. The hotel was very quiet at night so I got a good sleep in the short time I was there.

The hotel is a 15 minute walk from Shinjuku main station - I had previously stayed at the Best Western Shinjuku Astina during this trip, so I followed the same directions (East exit) and then simply continued walking up Yasakuni-dori for an extra five minutes until I saw the useful "Hotel Tateshina" sign on the side of the road, pointing me down the correct street. I also walked at 6am on my own back to Shinjuku station and felt completely safe, as I did anywhere in Japan.

I'd recommend this hotel as a short stay where you do not intend to spend too much time in your room. I did not use/try any form of internet facilities whilst there.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MissSian
tateshina5271, マネージャー at Hotel Tateshina, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank you for a stay with us.
As you feel, we're not big hotel like The Best Western Astina Hotel, but a small B&B hotel.
We always try to have a guest at home in our hotel.
If you've a good feeling for us, we're glad to hear that.
Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Tateshina to stay.

I look forward to your next visit in the near future.

Nobuo Yanagisawa, manager of Hotel Tateshina

Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was the second time I have stayed at Hotel Tateshina, and I will absoloutely stay again.
It's not the Ritz, but you get what you pay for. A compfy room, hospitable staff and conveniently placed in the heart of Shinjuku. Being so close to JR station at this cost was perfect! Made for easy travel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
tateshina5271, マネージャー at Hotel Tateshina, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2012

Thank you for a stay with us for the other day.
I'm glad to hear that you've enjoyed your stay with us.
We're conveniently locateed near subway Shinjuku Sanchome station C-7 exit.
It's merely 3 min. on foot. Also there are Shinjuku Gyoen Garden, Isetan department store,
many restaurant locates near.
We are looking forward to your next visit in the near future.

Nobuo Yagnagisawa(Mr), manager

Reviewed January 10, 2012

We booked 2 rooms, a non-smoking double and a twin; both were located in the annex. The furniture in the two rooms seemed a bit tired and worn and neither room was up to the cleanliness standards we expect from a moderately priced hotel – for example, there were stains on the sofa in the twin room and cigarette burns in the carpeting. The double was the worse of the 2 rooms because there was a smell emanating from its bathroom that did not go away despite running the vent 24/7 and using the air freshener spray that was in the room. Because there was standing water in the tub, all four of us used the shower/bath in the twin room.
The most positive thing I can say about the Hotel Tateshina is that it’s located on a quiet street in Shinjuku, just a half block away from a major road and a short walk from restaurants, etc. However, that isn’t enough for us to stay at this hotel again or recommend it to others. Given the TripAdvisor reviews we read before our stay, we were very disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank RCP07733
tateshina5271, マネージャー at Hotel Tateshina, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us, and write a review for a Tripadvisor.
I really appreciate it.
I'm sorry for inconvenience for a standing water of double room, we didi'nt know a fact
while you're staying.
Probably I guess that automatic water valve stopper device on bath tub was working
when you fill up a bath tub. It should be cleared by just push button on a device.
As for a smell, we always try to get rid of it on cleaning, but please tell our staff
when you feel it. We try it as best as we can.
Your suggestion should be good use to improve our service.