“Great Value, Convenient Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Toyoko Inn Shinjuku Kabuki-cho

Toyoko Inn Shinjuku Kabuki-cho
Ranked #27 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
San Jose, California
“Great Value, Convenient Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I have been to Tokyo numerous times, and we always come back to the Tokoyo chain. Their Shinjuku Kabuki branch is our favourite. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1) Friendly staff - Fluent in English, and some in fluent Mandarin
2) Clean and tidy - as with all Japanese hotels/home stay
3) Free breakfast - Japanese style, including rice balls, miso soup and pickles
4) Free internet at the lobby
5) Discount on weekends - 20% off Sunday + holidays for Tokoyo Inn Cardholder (foreigners accepted, you can sign up on the spot, annual fee = ~$16 USD, depending on the duration of your stay, the savings may be worth it)
6) Adjacent to Kabuki - night life, for ladies and guys! And super good ramen stalls that stay open late
7) Safe neighborhood - people in suits/evening gowns on the street are looking for business only, not trouble. No one bothers you if you don't show any interests.
8) Shopping - lots of shops about 2 blocks south of hotel, including brand new department stores like Isetan, Mitsukoshi. Guys may find interesting gadgets in Big Camera and Yodobashi Camera stores (Like Fry's in the US, but about 5 - 8x larger and more varieties). Basement level of all upscale department stores are filled with food stalls. Look for great bargains on daily fresh items (eg. tempura, sashimi, karaage, salads, sandwiches, etc.) ~2 hrs before store close. Prices keep dropping every 15/30 mins until gone or store close. Great price for quality cooked food! (Not sure if you want the sashimi, they still looked fresh, but we worried how long it's been out)

Cons:
1) 15 mins walking from JR station - a bit of walk if you're carrying luaggage, but not totally unmanageable
2) Difficult to locate first time - a bit challenging for first time visitor. Street names in Japan are very hard to find, but at least the locals are very willing to help
3) Rooms are small - our double room is barely enough to hold 2 single beds and 2 pieces of check-in luggage. Tiny bathrooms too
4) Dehumidifier in bathroom really dries you up!! My husband made the mistake of leaving it on before going to bed. We both dried up like prunes overnight, waking up in the morning with super chapped lips and skin
5) All TV channels are Japanese only

Overall, the pros totally outweighs the con. Like I said in the beginning, we always come back to Tokoyo Inn whenever we're in Japan.

Room Tip: Triple check/confirm to make sure they have given you a non-smoking room. They sometimes mix up the...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank bnlgremlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Toyoko Inn was great. Cheap, clean, nice breakfast included. Wifi only available downstairs but the rooms have a cord to connect laptops to internet. Good location, short walk to the train station and lots of bars and restaurants around. The rooms were quite small but not bad for the price. Book early to avoid disapointment!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MichaelGb27
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this hotel. My room was small, but everything was clean and cozy. The bathroom was very nice with amenities and an electric toilet seat that is so popular in Japan and Korea. It is centrally located in Shinjuku near plenty of shopping, restaurants, and the subway. A Japanese breakfast is also provided for guests. I would stay at this hotel again if I ever return to Tokyo on business.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank CarmenSandiego30
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Toyoko inn Kabukicho is a great place
close to everything
close to shopping
close to all kinds of Japanese restaurats
Close to subway
very friendly staff
very helpful staff
Free WiFi
Free Internet
Free breakfast
Clean and decent budget hotel

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank hkpraise
Rittman, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

Thanks to TripAdvisor, as always, I chose this particular Toyoko Inn among the many Toyoko locations in Tokyo. I knew going in that there were clubs/nightlife nearby, but I guess I didn't do my homework on the fact that Shinjuku, specifically the Kabuki-cho area, is specifically known for it's red light district!

The fact stated above isn't as obvious during the day. Wandering the streets from Shinjuku Station, my group found the Toyoko in about 20 minutes of slow searching. We checked in (and of course, sign up for the Toyoko Inn Club program at the time of checking in for substantial savings) and checked out our rooms. The rooms are small, but very nice for the good price. My husband and I stayed in a double room, while our three friends shared a single room and a room with two twins. The bed was pretty stiff, western style, and had pretty nice decor. The restroom was very clean with a nice, deep tub and shower head. I enjoyed some really nice baths in there after walking around Tokyo for hours!

The night scene really ... um, was obvious at night. By this I mean people soliciting our friends to get with prostitutes. I was one female traveling with four other men. They could tell who my husband was, but they insisted on talking to the other three guys. They weren't rude, just pushy and a little inappropriate. But, as soon as you firmly said no, it was all good. It was a little more pushy with us than anyone else I saw, I'm not sure if it's because we were American and the men who solicited my friends were English speakers ... not sure. It was actually kind of funny, and I never felt unsafe. There were also a lot of clubs with risque pictures on the outside, but not much to really be disturbed about. It was a lot easier in any store in Japan to walk upstairs to the adult floor accidentally than to see anything in the vicinity of the Toyoko Inn.

From Toyoko, we visited Odaiba, Akihabara (huge video game & anime fans), Harajuku, Shibuya, and whatever area the Pokemon Center & Square Enix store are in (can't remember the name right now). Shinjuku Station is easily accessible and is known as the busiest train station in the world, but to be honest, it really wasn't hard to navigate at all. You'll like being in the center of everything because nothing is ever *too* far away. Well, Akihabara was kind of on the opposite side of Tokyo, but sooo worth it. We also made a day trip to Mt. Takao, which I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend to anyone looking for a taste of nature within a 45 minute train ride. This trip turned out to be the HIGHLIGHT of the trip. Check it out on wikipedia or japan-guide.com, but wow, I can't recommend it enough! You might see Mt. Fuji on a clear day, we did!

In the immediate proximity of the hotel, there are many convenience stores, beverage machines, ice cream machines ... just about anything you need. For breakfast, there is a large lobby with a breakfast buffet. I thoroughly enjoyed this every single morning! Miso soup, riceballs, little egg/tuna sandwiches, a seaweed salad, and maybe another random item. Great coffee as well! I even started eating miso soup for breakfast here in the states because it's so tasty and filling.

Oh, I would be remiss if I did not mention the delicious crepe stands in Shinjuku, specifically MOA Crepes. We had other crepes in Kyoto, specifically at Kiyomizu-dera. Those were the best. But these come in a very close second, and most of it is just because it's an art form to watch the employees make a crepe so perfectly and quickly! Plus, they're delicious!

All in all, I can't say anything bad about the Toyoko Inn. It's a great hub for your travels in Tokyo. We had stayed at two traditional guesthouses previously, and although I was hesitant about staying in a western style place, Toyoko was great!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank soyduck
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

They give up my room because I check in late. Luckily its non peak season and there are single room. Its also quite a long walk from the station. Surrounding area is abit night life, pub scene

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
S'pore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

Quite a long walk fr JR shinjuku station..walking fr higashi-shinjuku station is better..
Counter staff was not as pleasant as the ones we encounter @ toyoko inn haneda kuko.
Other than location n service staffs, the standards of this hotel chain is consistent the rooms were comfy n breakfast is good.

• Stayed December 2010