Curry House CoCo Ichibanya Shinjuku Station West Entrance
Ranked #12 of 8,757 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Curry Rice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

So, apparently curry rice is one of the big underground things in Japan food. Not something that you think about when you think Japanese cuisine, but something the locals love. And with good reason.

If you have a good chinese takeout near you, you've probably had something similar to the sauce they serve. The curry sauce is thick and spicy, and ever so slightly gelatinous, akin to the UK's "chinese curry sauce". It is GOOD.

Here, it is served with rice and a variety of meats or other foods (fried chicken, squid rings, breaded pork, even scrambled eggs!) and the sauce ranges in spiciness from zero to 10. I like spicy food, and a 3 was delighful for me, spicy but not burning my tastebuds off.

They have an English menu and the staff are really helpful. Went here twice on our Japan trip and I was not disappointed.

• Visited August 2014

• Thai first
Zurich, Switzerland
“One word: awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I love curry and spicy food in general and a friend recommended this place to me. In my one week in Tokyo, I seriously went five times. The hotness levels are not to be underestimated. I eat a lot of spicy food and I stopped at level 3. It tasted really good, no matter the spice level.

You can choose the type of meat you want, the amount of rice and also if you want any extras (vegetables, cheese, etc.). I always went with the chicken and I have never had reason to complain.

You can find these small restaurants all over Tokyo and my suggestion is definitely: GO.

1 Thank Sabine S
Jacksonville, Florida
“Really Good Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

I don't know if it's the best I ever had, but it was excellent. The staff are friendly and understand English enough. Asked if I wanted the menu but told her I already knew what I wanted. Food came quickly and I savored the entire bowl. Was nice to sit in peace and eat..every where else was packed.

• Visited June 2014
“Best curry in Tokyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Yes, just like my review says, best curry in Tokyo. Was not expecting this from a chain. I loved it so much I came back every single day of my tokyo Trip.

4 Thank Miriam B
Los Angeles, California
“Best Japanese Curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Usually in Japan, the restaurants are much better when they are family owned/single restaurants as opposed to large chains.

This one however, which spans many countries has the best Japanese curry I have ever had. I still prefer Western style Indian curry, but I have been here in 3 different countries and have never been disappointed.

The prices will usually fall around 800-1200 yen per person.

The meats are very crispy, the curry is hot, you can choose the spice levels and customize, they even give you an option for less rice which is cheaper.

The spicy scale is from 1-10. Try a 2 if you can't stand spicy at all, if you think Taco Bell fire sauce is spicy try a 6. I think 10 tastes the best, when the curry is red, and that is pretty spicy for me which says something.

They have hand made crispy chicken which is a little more expensive than the normal chicken or pork except it is much crispier!

• Visited May 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank IamJak

Travelers who viewed Curry House CoCo Ichibanya Shinjuku Station West Entrance also viewed

Been to Curry House CoCo Ichibanya Shinjuku Station West Entrance? Share your experiences!