“Definitely one of the best views and meals ever”
Review of New York Grill

New York Grill
Ranked #7 of 8,773 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Chicago, Illinois
“Definitely one of the best views and meals ever”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were so pleasantly delighted at our New York Grill meal. Often times, restaurants with great views have mediocre food and we were incredibly pleased. The kobe was one of the best cuts of meat my husband or I have ever had and the pastrami was life changing. Overall, the meal is pricey but it is so worth it for 360 degree views of an incredible city, great live music and mouth-watering food.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
“Great view, ok food.”
Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

This is indeed a very beautiful restaurant on the 65th floor of the Park Hyatt  hotel.
The views are spectacular and we were able to score a window seat.
My husband had the hakkaido steak which according to him was very good.
I had the tuna steak which was so so. The sides were nothing special, and I was not wowed by any means.
I am giving this 4 stars based on my husband's and my average rating (I would have given it a 3, especially given the steep prices).
Perhaps it was the cultural difference between a NY high end restaurant and a Tokyo one, but I did not feel the 5 star treatment. A few small things come to mind; the waiters seem stiff and a little disinterested, we waited far longer than we would have in a NY restaurant for water and bread, and when our wine came, we were not given a sip before the full glass was poured, which is what I would have expected.

All in all, average steakhouse fare at quite steep prices. If you are here for the view, you will not be disappointed. But just don't expect to be blown away by the food.

London, United Kingdom
“Come for the view, stay for the bar”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

From the moment you walk through the doors of the Park Hyatt, you’re reminded that this is a high-end establishment. But then it’s the little things that let it down – we arrived on time, were told the table wasn’t ready and were ushered into the bar. All good, but then we were asked to move out again to our table less than a minute later. Why bother?

For the meal itself, after (like others) inexplicably receiving the dessert menu as we sat down, my main course of steak – the star attraction at any place that has ‘grill’ in the name – was delivered barely lukewarm to the table and had to be returned. When you’re charging 7600 JPY for a main course, that’s unforgivable.

All that said, it is unquestionably a special venue and worth a visit for the view; you can get a window seat if you fight hard enough when booking. Where the restaurant falls down is at this price range, where food needs to be technically stunning and not just “pretty good”. With dinner for two, including wine and service easily coming to over 40,000 JPY, the maths just don’t add up. Let's assume it's down to the "view tax."

Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic View and wonderful meal”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We started with drinks in the Peak lounge and had not planned on dinner at the NY Grill. The Peak lounge is just beautiful, the views are spectacular and it's very dim. It was a Thursday night and it was pretty empty, we sat at the bar. Prices for drinks are expensive, $18 for a martini (Belvedere) and $11, for a beer. but that's about what I pay here in Los Angeles, with not nearly as spectacular a view. We had such a lovely time just taking pictures in the lounge and enjoying the view and cocktails we took the elevator to NY Grill on the off chance we could have dinner without a reservation. We certainly weren't dressed for it, we weren't in jeans, but just black pants and casual shirts. The hostess did not bat an eye, and welcomed us in. If you read reviews as much as I do, you know how much bad service can affect the write up, so I guess this review is a little tilted toward the 5 stars because of the service. We didn't get a table with a view, but we were seated not too far, and it was kind of sweet seeing all the couples sitting at those tables holding hands. I guess my daughter and I are romantics. But I thought the food was excellent as well (OK, by now I'm on my second martini). I had the steak and lobster (about $100), both were small, but that was fine, I could fill up on their very fine bread and butter. The steak was cooked perfectly rare, with a nice char on the outside. My daughter had an appetizer for dinner of a pasta dish (about $34) with a cream sauce and truffles, which was excellent. I don't know if they gave her so much as an appetizer since she was having it for dinner, but it was a large portion. It was one of our most memorable meals in Tokyo and I would definitely go back again (and again and again). There is also a very nice jazz bar next door to the Grill. Looked nice and the band sounded great as we could hear them from our table. Hope I get a chance to go back.

1 Thank CrystalSorrows
USA
“The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Under the right circumstances this could be worth it.
a) It would have to be with a very special someone
b) you would need a window seat for the amazing view
c) your worth 8 figures and you don't care about price

View and ambience is amazing. Very nice modern decor.
Food is a solid 7-8 in quality.

BUT...
For shelling out $200- $400 per person you would expect so much more. I expect excellence at that price point. And they simply didn't deliver. The portions were also very small.

I had the 5 course meal. The 4th course was an 8. Desert was a 9. The other 3 were in the 6-7 range.